Turkey Necks

Hi All :wave:

My canine members have increased somewhat and I am considering going back to feeding turkey necks for breakfast. I used to feed them regularly but often the girls would later throw up a selection of neck bones. I was not sure if this was a good thing or not? My vet did say that turkey necks were good but I am after a few more opinions. I know they are nutritious but the bone bits worry me a little. . . .

Thanks for your time and looking forward to hearing your views.

Cheers

Cairo1

Depends on the size of dog. My lot love them. never had any bone scraps back but they do give me bone bits back (usually in the middle of the carpet :laugh:) from beef sometimes. Vomiting up things they can't digest is normal for dogs and not really anything to be concerned about provided it's not a daily occurance. You could find that in time their stomach adjusts and produces the acids required to digest the bits that are now rejected.

Turkey necks are the most favourite meal and best digested in this house, when I can get them. None of my BCs have ever thrown up after eating them. My only problem with them is that they are usually bigger than a standard meal for my dogs so I have to cut down on other stuff to be able to feed them or I end up with fat dogs.

I've got one cat that vomits chicken necks, so I don't feed them to him anymore. My other animals do fine with raw poultry (so far, anyway).

Dogs do vomit easily, but if they're regularly vomiting up only one type of food, perhaps that particular food isn't great for that particular dog.

Turkey necks are the most favourite meal and best digested in this house, when I can get them. None of my BCs have ever thrown up after eating them. My only problem with them is that they are usually bigger than a standard meal for my dogs so I have to cut down on other stuff to be able to feed them or I end up with fat dogs.

I buy turkey necks in bulk and freeze, also cut them in half ad they are too big for my dog for a feed.

Wonderful! Thank you for the vote of confidence! :thumbsup:

As I mentioned, I used to feed them years ago but worried when I saw piles of fine neck bones tossed up a few days later. . . . Yes, it isn't unusual but those bones

were sharp and I did wonder if they could do any harm.

I am able to get them in bulk and I know that my current crew will love them!

Once again, thank you for your comments!

Cheerio

Cairo1 :D

I would go for it, I wish I could get them.........my guys would go nuts for them! :thumbsup:

Hi Stolzseinrotts, it may be an idea to write to Inghams to ask them if they have a supplier in Melbourne. I get mine from Capalaba Pet Foods who buy them from a supplier in Jacobs Well (I think) and that supplier must get them direct from Inghams.

They are human grade.

I usually buy a 14kg box and mince 1/2 and the dogs get a whole one cut in half a couple of times a week.

Daisy sometimes hucks hers up but then she eats it up again (sort of like a cow chewing it's cud I suppose :laugh: )

Here is their web site http://www.inghams.com.au/enterprises/home.aspx?docId=397