Vaccinated Versus Non-vaccinated

I was wondering about dogs being vaccinated yearly versus dogs not being vaccinated (after their initial puppy courses).

What ages did your dogs live to when they were regularly vaccinated - and what ages did your dogs live to when you stopped having them vaccinated. Does that make sense?

Just weighing the pros and cons of each scenario.

Parents dog fully vaccinated every year lived to 17. Back in the 80s the afghan lived til 14 and the lab x was a week before he was 14. That includes heartworm tablets (daily when they first came in then later monthly)

Guest bigdogg

Had a springer spaniel bitch as a kid - she lived to 17yr old.

Would have been wormed once a year and that was it.. No vaccinations, never ever been to a vet. Lived in a small town 25km from Rockhampton.. Never ever had an issue.

My current dogs are vaccinated. My parents are still in the same place and have a 10 yr old bitch now that has only had one vaccination (c5) when she was about 4.

If you live in a town with lots of dogs - then i would vaccinate just to be safe..

My current old girl (Rotti/Pittie) is 12 next month - not annually vaccinated for about 5 years now - and no-one believes she is 12... she is very fit and healthy.

The last dog I had that had annual vaccinations was a Rotti girl who passed at 11 years of age from complications due to arthritis - still, a good age for a pure Rotti...

T.

Mum and dads dog died ata round 16 got vaccinated probably 2 maybe 3 times in her life. Their other dogs much the same and died at 12.

One of mine yearly died at 12, yearly died at 8 from a hereditary diesease.

Current oldy 14 and hasn't been vaccinated since he was 8 maybe???? he has crap skin, allergies to all sorts, multiple sites of arthritis and a bad heart.

Youngsters, puppy course, booster at 12 months then three yearly.

Weighing the risks of a basic C3 vaccine against just contracting parvo alone I do the vaccine for the life of the dog. Sometimes it may be a little bit late which I don't think matters much when they have been vaccinated for a few years prior.

I only do a C3 as that is sufficient for their lifestyle & covers the biggest risk to them.

I know a dog that lived until 20. Ate possum poo every day. Therefore possum poo makes you live long.

But seriously, to the OP. There is nothing wrong with not vaccinating every year (or every three years as is now the protocol) IF you titre test and check that your dogs are covered. People who have seen dogs die of parvo know that it is a terrible, terrible death for a dog.

Our old dog is no longer vaccinated (but was yearly for 8 years) due to a bad vaccine reaction adn the recommendation to longer vaccinate him.

I would never not vaccinate if possible hence the three year schedule on my young dogs. I have ssen dogs die from Parvo and it is horrendous.

I was wondering about dogs being vaccinated yearly versus dogs not being vaccinated (after their initial puppy courses).

What ages did your dogs live to when they were regularly vaccinated - and what ages did your dogs live to when you stopped having them vaccinated. Does that make sense?

Just weighing the pros and cons of each scenario.

All the dogs that died of parvo died because either they or other dogs in the community were unvaccinated. Parvo is a disgusting disease. I don't think you have asked the right questions here to determine what the pros and cons really are.

The recommendations are now for three-yearly vaccinations. This recommendation was made after looking at much bigger samples of information than could possibly be gained from a thread like this.

I distinctly remember a young kelpie bitch who died from distemper when I was a child. :cry: the days pre canine vacc were not nice

Yes;When i was a kid in the 1960's I can remember an outbreak that swept our neighborhood ,and many dogs died.When i was 16 and had my first job i bought a Bull terrier pup .

I did not know then what i do now about dogs.I got her from a market;it turned out that she had distemper and was PTS.My last dog was always fully vaccinated until she was 9 then the vet said she didn't need the kennel cough one any more.The next year she got kennel cough and died.When i get my next dog i will have her fully vaccinated.

It really is a personal choice though to discuss with your vet about the risks of disease and make your own informed decision.

I distinctly remember a young kelpie bitch who died from distemper when I was a child. :cry: the days pre canine vacc were not nice

Yes;When i was a kid in the 1960's I can remember an outbreak that swept our neighborhood ,and many dogs died.When i was 16 and had my first job i bought a Bull terrier pup .

I did not know then what i do now about dogs.I got her from a market;it turned out that she had distemper and was PTS.My last dog was always fully vaccinated until she was 9 then the vet said she didn't need the kennel cough one any more.The next year she got kennel cough and died.When i get my next dog i will have her fully vaccinated.

It really is a personal choice though to discuss with your vet about the risks of disease and make your own informed decision.

Why were you told not to vaccinate against kennel cough? because of the age?

Jetty;She had always had the one that you puff in the nose,sorry not sure what one you call it.We lived next door to dog breeders and groomers and the people behind us had mates who visited with random dogs.My usual vet was always happy to give her usual vaccinations,but that time i saw another vet.He was quit gruff about it and seemed annoyed about me wanting her to have it.He just kept insisting she no longer needed to have it.So i trusted what he said,I will always feel guilty and wonder if she would have got sick if she had been done...There was no mention about her age.

edited for clarity.

Edited by budgiew

Who would be so irresponsible not to vaccinate their beloved animal. :mad (Excluding medical reasons of course.)

it's called making an informed choice.

An informed choice..... what to let your animals die from Distemper, Hepatitis or Parvo should they be exposed to these diseases. That in my book is not an informed choice, that is just plain fool hardy.

(Excluding medical reasons)

Who would be so irresponsible not to vaccinate their beloved animal. :mad (Excluding medical reasons of course.)

it's called making an informed choice.

An informed choice..... what to let your animals die from Distemper, Hepatitis or Parvo should they be exposed to these diseases. That in my book is not an informed choice, that is just plain fool hardy.

(Excluding medical reasons)

or they can die from over vaccinating or live a life full of misery from the reactions some have when over vaccinated.