Breed Nicknames

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian Cattle Dogs are either ACD's or Cattle Dogs, NEVER Heelers :mad ... Heelers are those BYB dogs that are a dime a dozen...

Dont ask what our cars' rego is though :o ...

Oh and Basenji's are just known as B's, (and many other names, but Im not allowed to mention them here :laugh: )...

Edited by rajacadoo

I always get so excited when I see posts discussing "Aussies" but am always disappointed because more often than not they're about Australian Shepherds rather than the Australian Terriers! :laugh: To stop the confusion I've been referring Aussie Terriers as either Aussie Tees or ATs.

The only real thing that irks me about all "-y" and "-ie" name endings is the lack of consistency. It annoys me how the grammar rule of "dropping the "y" to add "ies" is ignored so seeing references to "Staffys" gives me the sh1ts. And why all the difference? West Highland White Terriers are known as "Westies" rather than "Westys" so to me "Staffies" would be more grammatically correct. But now I'm just nit-picking! :D

But hey, the Internet is all about being grammatically lazy isn't it! ;) :rofl:

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Afghan Hounds - Afghans, Ghans, Terrorists...

Lowchens - Chens, lowies

Poodles - Oodles :laugh:

Yep oddles, but more often then not just poos. I m with Poodlemum I loath spoo for a poodle.

Has anyone mentioned daccies for Dachshund, or Malt or Maltese, Frenchie for French Bulldogs.

Edited by quoll

My favourite though has to be the Chinese word for poodle 贵宾犬 ... which translates as expensive/costly/valuable guest/visitor dog! Clearly poodles are highly regarded :laugh:

Naturally!!

Around here the poodles are "the Poods" and Howard's just Howie. I turn all my dog's names into 'y' sounding endings! ;)

Do Border Terrier people refer to their dogs as Borders too?

When people refer to "Mals", Malamute or Malinois?

Oh the confusion! :laugh:

It does annoy me when people refer to Border Collies as "Collies". To me, Rough Collie = Collie, Smooth Collie = Smoothie, Border Collie = Border, BC. I think my Border Collie is listed as a Collie with the council and maybe even the vet. Arghh.

Australian Cattle Dogs are either ACD's or Cattle Dogs, NEVER Heelers :mad ... Heelers are those BYB dogs that are a dime a dozen...

Must be an SA thing then.

I knew a SA based ACD breeder with a lot of champion show dogs (ie not BYB). He always referred to them as heelers. I didn't hear anyone refer to them as ACDs or cattle dogs until I moved interstate.

Do Border Terrier people refer to their dogs as Borders too?

When people refer to "Mals", Malamute or Malinois?

Oh the confusion! :laugh:

It does annoy me when people refer to Border Collies as "Collies". To me, Rough Collie = Collie, Smooth Collie = Smoothie, Border Collie = Border, BC. I think my Border Collie is listed as a Collie with the council and maybe even the vet. Arghh.

We refer to them as Borders, but I handle BCs and I refer to them as Borders too! If I am talking to a group 2 person, when I say Borders = Terriers, if I am talking to a group 5 person, Borders = BCs. Hasn't been too confusing for me, and they usually assume the right breed as not many group 5 people are into terriers and not many group 2 people are into working dogs.

The worst one I've had is my BIL insisting on calling our dogs "Rockys" :eek:

That's his shortened version of their full name... "Rockwheelers" :banghead:

It doesn't matter how many times we correct him, they are still Rockys - makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork (or maybe stab HIM in the eye with it)

quote: "koalathebear

Forum Regular

1,666 Joined:

01-May 10 Location:Canberra State:ACT Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

Baileys mum, on 20 July 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

My breed gets the name "Aussie" for short, which just happens to be what Australian Shepherd owners call their breed too...so it can get a little confusing some times.

That is confusing! Someone needs to come up with a new nickname for the Australian Terrier!"

Seeing that Australian Terriers had the nickname of "Aussie" first, maybe the Australian Shepherd should be the one to have a change, especially as they didn't even originate here and are relative newcomers to our shores!!!!

Edited by Austerra