Another Need To Vent Topic

valbitz

Was just looking through gumtree melbourne dogs (no I would never get a dog from there) and came across an ad for Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies. These puppies were born on 10 June and they have already sold 2 females as in they have already been picked up and taken and they are only 5 weeks old :eek:. Their parents have apparently been hip and elbow scored but she couldn't tell me what the scores are :confused: The puppies haven't been vet checked and haven't been vaccinated :mad. Forgot to ask if they came with papers but guessing they don't. I hate to think where these pups will end up :cry:.

Are they breaking any Victorian laws and if so who do I contact.

Edited by valbitz

Just looked at the ad it's a bit dodgy there is written in red under the DOB " thy should not be rehomed till the 5 of august ". That might have been gumtree, but some ppl won't listen to that poor pups

Edited by Atanquin

Just looked at the ad it's a bit dodgy there is written in red under the DOB " thy should not be rehomed till the 5 of august ". That might have been gumtree, but some ppl won't listen to that poor pups

It was Gumtree and I think the idea is to encourage consumers to buy responsibly by telling them when puppies can be removed from their mothers, rather than leaving them to work it out for themselves.

Obviously though.. this only works when the consumer is actually concerned about such things (and if they're buying a cheap oodle from Gumtree, I can't imagine they've done too much research).

Its a sad problem... but I think legitimate breeders can help by reducing the cost of puppies...I paod top dollar for my breed of pup...I love my pup but I still think the price for a pedigree pup of some of the so called "rare" breeds can be quite exuberant.

untill all people can afford a pedigree pup these backyard breeders will have a business.

Its a sad problem... but I think legitimate breeders can help by reducing the cost of puppies...I paod top dollar for my breed of pup...I love my pup but I still think the price for a pedigree pup of some of the so called "rare" breeds can be quite exuberant.

untill all people can afford a pedigree pup these backyard breeders will have a business.

You are very wrong,most pedigrees cost far less than the Pet Shop puppies.

I honestly don't believe pricing is the issue.

As far as I know, many of the rare breeds are priced the way they are because breeders produce those puppies at great expense (including import costs and higher vet costs for breeds that often require c-sections).

Edited to add..

And Showdog is right- most of the BYB'd pet shop puppies I've seen have cost more than a puppy from a registered breeder. People will pay more for something they perceive to be of greater value and that all comes down to how something is marketed. Unfortunately, the oodles have been very well-marketed by people like The Berk.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

I already made a loss by charging the slightly less than the going rate for my pups.

Ali it's not really a fair call to make. I can't speak for all breeds or breeders, but I know that most people breed just to try improve the breed and do make a loss. Most people actually have NO idea what the costs can be until you have been there.

You are very wrong,most pedigrees cost far less than the Pet Shop puppies.

So true. I've seen apparently pure bred labradors in my local pet shop for $1200, roughly the same you'd pay for a pure bred from a registered breeder! Have also seen maltese x shih tzus selling for $950!

My partner is only doing one day a week of work at the moment, and we are both on centrelink, and we can still afford $1200 for a pure bred golden retriever. So I don't believe the cost of pure breds is the problem.

Also, take into account, puppies in pet shops and from backyard breeders most likely haven't been microchipped, vaccinated or wormed etc.

we've found we start reducing the price you get morethan questionable people looking at your puppies.dogs. the ones that want to mark down the price even further we usually find are the sort of people who will skimp on the vet and other important expenses as well. the last dog i marked down i got this wacka who promptly told me to rack off after i enquired how the dog was going after 6 months. :eek: it was bizarre to say the least, so no more marking down to cater for people thanks. they pay what im asking after i spend money on my dogs or i don't sell im not fussed if i get to keep them a bit longer until i can find the right home.

example, i'll give you an example of expenses, paid $600 (reduced price for a main reg bitch because got her off a friend of a friend not normal price) bred her, paid for a ceasarian of ONE PUP of $900 emergency C-S too. so did i make money? nope, do i care, nope. still have this little bitch she is a valued pet of ours now 2 and a half years old, won runner up best in show not shown now due to an injury unfortunately. but to sell her i could have made a few hundred dollars but my dogs are worth more to me than just mere money.

Edited by toy dog

Until puppy buyers do their homework BYBs will thrive, cashing in on the latest fashion in dogs and ripping off buyers by selling inferior pups "cheap" by not health testing, not vaccinating, not microchipping and not keeping pups together until 8 weeks. A BYB bred pup with a health problem, that has been raised on an inferior diet, not wormed and not vaccinated is no "bargain".

People happily pay through the nose for a plasma TV and Foxtel and expect responsible breeders to sell pups "cheap"? As if. Yet the family dog will be with a family longer than a TV or a car.

Don't want to pay through the nose for a "rare" breed? The answer is simple. Don't buy one. There are plenty of "common" breeds available at realistic prices from breeders who offer lifetime support and actually care about the pups they sell.

Until puppy buyers do their homework BYBs will thrive, cashing in on the latest fashion in dogs and ripping off buyers by selling inferior pups "cheap" by not health testing, not vaccinating, not microchipping and not keeping pups together until 8 weeks. A BYB bred pup with a health problem, that has been raised on an inferior diet, not wormed and not vaccinated is no "bargain".

People happily pay through the nose for a plasma TV and Foxtel and expect responsible breeders to sell pups "cheap"? As if. Yet the family dog will be with a family longer than a TV or a car.

Don't want to pay through the nose for a "rare" breed? The answer is simple. Don't buy one. There are plenty of "common" breeds available at realistic prices from breeders who offer lifetime support and actually care about the pups they sell.

well said. :thumbsup:

Most people actually have NO idea what the costs can be until you have been there.

That comment is so true. I thought I had an idea, and I guess I did - I knew about emergency c-sections and things like that but having this litter has been a real eye opener for me. There were so many little expenses I had not considered, there was so much more food that I ever predicted I would use. I know I was lucky - my girl free whelped a good sized litter but the costs were way more than I expected.

Someone at work said to me yesterday "oh good way to make a few extra dollars" and I laughed and rattled off just a few of the costs and they were surprised at how much things were. Then there is the time - if I worked out the time I spent with them and put that to an hourly rate per puppy for their care then they would see that it really is not an easy way to make a few quick dollars. And I don't even have a breed that needs round the clock monitoring for a few weeks.

I did a list of pedigree dog prices last year, I went through all the puppy ads on the DOL home page and put together a comprehensive list of breeds and current puppy prices, and what I found was surprising. Pedigree puppies, on the whole, are a bargain! Yes there are some over-the-top prices for some breeds (mostly bull breeds), but on the whole, puppies from registered breeders ARE NOT expensive and cost far far less than a crossbred in a pet shop.

I have seen Maltese X's advertised for over $1000, and yet gorgeous pedigree Maltese puppies were advertised for $800. How is that expensive?

I think that you will find that a well bred pedigreed pup will cost you a heck of a lot less over the course of it's life than a petshop or BYB pup...

... and having reared a few litters of pups through the years, I can firmly attest that if you are doing all the right things for the pups you are bringing into the world, you certainly aren't going to be making a living from it!

I currently have a litter of rescue foster pups here - 9 of them! They look to be Rotti/GSD/Mastiff cross types, and are around 4.5 weeks old. They were dumped at the pound last Sunday without their mother. So far they are eating more than my 3 large breed adult dogs put together - more than once per day! They are eating more each day, and are growing fast. They will be wormed tomorrow, then at 6 weeks will need more worming, and vaccinations. They will also need desexing before they are rehomed to carefully selected new families. And rescue crossbreed pups certainly don't sell for the same prices a pedigreed pure pup does...

But the puppy breath kisses more than make up for all of the above and the constant rounds of washing bedding, etc... wouldn't you all agree? (only a true dog lover can understand these things... *grin*)

T.