Best No Pull Harness

Just after some oppinions on the best no pull harness for a bulldog. Or a dog in general :)

There are so many out there and I want to make sure I get the right one.

What is everyones experiences with them?

Thanks In advance!

I'd be looking at some kind of front clip harness - such as

Easy walk

There are a few variations on the theme. The idea is that if the dog pulls, instead of going forward, it is turned towards the handler.

I haven't personally used them, but know people who have had good reasults with front clip harnesses with various breeds. I would still be regarding it as a training aid towards loose leash walking, rather than a forever solution. JMO

I don't understand why none of the front clip harnesses have a y-front, that is, a strap that goes between the front legs. It seems like an obvious thing to put on a harness that is designed to pull the dog around, because without it, what's stopping the harness from moving around the side of the dog, while the dog continues to pull? And I have seen dogs do this, and I have searched and searched for a y-front no pull harness and can't find a single one.

I don't understand why none of the front clip harnesses have a y-front, that is, a strap that goes between the front legs. It seems like an obvious thing to put on a harness that is designed to pull the dog around, because without it, what's stopping the harness from moving around the side of the dog, while the dog continues to pull? And I have seen dogs do this, and I have searched and searched for a y-front no pull harness and can't find a single one.

That's because, Y-front harnesses are comfortable for the dog to pull into.

Blackdog make a Y-front tracking harness which negates pulling to some degree, but it is still very comfortable for the dog to lean into.

Blackdog make a Y-front tracking harness which negates pulling to some degree, but it is still very comfortable for the dog to lean into.

But with the ring on the front, pulling just means the dog gets turned around anyway. The only difference with a y-front harness is that the front ring won't end up on the dog's shoulder while the dog is pulling anyway.

Edited by fuzzy82

check chain. Mot bulldogs will pull a truck no matter what you use if you're relying on discomfort from a walking harness in order to curb the pulling habit

If you're worried about getting one big enough to put over the head and then being too big for the neck Herm Sprenger make check chains with toggles on one end that thread through the ring at the other making sure it's the perfect size

41SADifP7GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

either online or any retailer should be able to order through Hannoverian Riding Wear

Edited by Nekhbet

But with the ring on the front, pulling just means the dog gets turned around anyway. The only difference with a y-front harness is that the front ring won't end up on the dog's shoulder while the dog is pulling anyway.

If they are fitted correctly, there is only slight movement and the ring doesn't end up on the dog's shoulder. It applies pressure very subtly. It works differently to a Y-front harness the two are not the same and one can never be integrated into the other. We tried- it wasn't successful.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

If they are fitted correctly, there is only slight movement and the ring doesn't end up on the dog's shoulder. It applies pressure very subtly. It works differently to a Y-front harness the two are not the same and one can never be integrated into the other. We tried- it wasn't successful.

Pressure? I though the point was that the dog gets turned around to face the handler, which is the opposite of what it wants.

Pressure? I though the point was that the dog gets turned around to face the handler, which is the opposite of what it wants.

All the newer no-pull harnesses out now are a variation on a theme. :) The Tellington-Touch balance configuration. Before harnesses this was a simple leash technique. Here's some more info for you.

The Mekuti Balance Dog Harness TM enables the handler to use two points of contact with the dog. When a dog pulls, you become part of their balancing technique. By using two connection points, you can withdraw one of the balance points before taking up the other. It is very simple. The end result is a dog that is unsure what he can lean into and therefore re-learns how to balance on his own four feet without relying on you - hence "Balance Harness". Once the dog has learnt this, you give fewer and fewer signals until he is walking alongside you without your input.

Mekuti harness link

There are a number of harnesses on the market specially designed with a front connection ring as well as a standard top ring. At Xtra Dog, we have a fleece lined walking harness with this in mind. This harness is designed by Marie Miller, who is recognised as one of the UK’s leading dog behaviourists and a TTouch practitioner, and Sindy Ratani, a designer of dog sledding equipment. They came up with the idea based on the front end of a sledding X-back harness. It sits on the shoulder of the dog, and goes under its front legs with two connections on the top and the front (breastbone).

Marie explains more: “There are a number of ways to help a dog to learn to walk in balance on a loose lead. The TTouch Balance Lead technique requires the use of a 6ft training lead. The simple action of looping the lead to form a containing barrier on the dog’s chest can be really helpful to teach him to walk in balance and can help the dog to regain self control if he becomes over excited. If he leans into the lead, briefly meet the pressure and then melt by relaxing again, giving the dog nothing to lean against. He may immediately lean again, so repeat until the dog stops leaning into the lead and stands/moves in his own balance. This is a smooth movement, not a jerk. Meet the pressure and then melt away.You can use the Meet and Melt technique when the dog is wearing a harness. You need a lead with a clip at either end so that you can have two points of contact. Your harness might have two clips, e.g., a ring on the back and a ring at the chest or you could clip onto the back ring of the harness and the flat collar.”

I have heard scepticism of this technique for stopping dogs pulling and even though I have personally worked with several hundred dogs with a more than 80% success rate, not everyone believes that this will work.

Tessa Wakeling from Klewagin Huskies (who breeds, shows and races Siberian huskies) was a sceptic about this method for working dogs. When I first met Tessa, she challenged me to convince her that it would work. They have around 18 dogs, one of whom, Shnice who is a racing dog, Tessa found impossible to walk on a loose lead. I fitted a front ringed harness onto Shnice and Tessa took her dog with a double-ended lead. Shnice immediately changed her on-lead posture and started to walk quietly along-side Tessa – this continued for a quarter of a mile. Tessa became a convert and tells everyone about this approach to dog walking.

The Xtra Dog harness is not the only harness on the market that benefits from a front ring to stop dogs pulling. Sarah Fisher’s TTouch harness, also distributed by Xtra Dog, is specifically designed for this purpose as well as other aspects of Tellington TTouch. More information about TTouch can be found at www.ttouchtteam.com, and there are others on the market too.

An important point to think about when selling harnesses is the fit. There are too many dogs wearing harnesses that do not fit them correctly. Many manufacturers sadly do not make harnesses in enough sizes and unfortunately pet shops often tend to sell harnesses that do not fit correctly. A harness should fit snugly, with space for two fingers all the way around, but not tight. If the harness has a front ring then it is essential that that ring sits on the breastbone of the dog and does not move when the dog is walked. It is also worth considering that some dogs, particularly some cross-breeds may not fit a standard fit harness, and some companies including Xtra Dog offer a custom fit service based on measurements of a dog.

Springerloaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39cliMs3EVg&feature=player_embedded

Dean and Tyler make one:

post-27737-0-73783200-1311744620_thumb.jpg

http://www.dtdogcollars.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DTHUNV

I bought a Halti for my young whippet last week, as she was pulling to the point she almost couldn't breathe, and wouldn't stop no matter what I tried.

Almost instantly the Halti worked for her, she occasionally cracks it and gets up on her hind legs and uses her front legs to try pull it off, but I've been distracting her and giving her treats when she walks correctly, and it's working really well.