Desexing

Alfie02

Hi all,

So I have a question regarding desexing in large breed dogs.

Do you think there would be much difference in desexing a male ridgeback at 6 months rather than 9 months?

Would 3 months really make a difference in the apperance or in the temperament/male tendancies of the dog?

I would be very interested to hear peoples opinions or experiences on this difference that a couple of months can make, or do not make when desexing a male large breed dog.

Thank you :)

Physically for a large dog yes. In respect to temperament, my sister had a male she desexed at about 18 months, and he has since changed completely. He has put on a lot of weight and doesn't have the same drive (ie doesn't go with her partner for bike rides anymore), but he also has better recall and doesn't try to escape all the time anymore.

Physically for a large dog yes. In respect to temperament, my sister had a male she desexed at about 18 months, and he has since changed completely. He has put on a lot of weight and doesn't have the same drive (ie doesn't go with her partner for bike rides anymore), but he also has better recall and doesn't try to escape all the time anymore.

Being spayed doesn't make them fat ,fat is a result of over feeding or a health issue

All our retired show dogs are spayed & not one is fat or lost there drive .They are the same dogs BUT they all had good manners to start off with

Personally I think the notion that desexing causes weight gain is a myth.

I think what often happens is the desexing coincides with the end of growth and the slowing of a dog's metabolism at maturity. Owners fail to adjust food intake and voila - fat dogs!

I bet once slimmed down, your sisters dog would have more energy.

Interestingly when she was out earlier in the year Christine Zinc suggested that she would only ever desex a dog (or bitch) for a health issue directly related to their bits.

Her reasoning was that they develop more completely when they are left entire, are generally healthier for the length of their life when left entire and contrary to popular opinion they are actually LESS aggressive when left entire. Our dogs will be left entire at least until they have physically matured in future.

My experience is that desexing does not make animals fat - we have 3 desexed dogs at our place with about 4 ounces of fat between them. Just a matter of keeping a close eye on what they are fed. (They have PLENTY of energy BTW.)

Edited by Agility Dogs

I wish I'd been reading on here for longer before we got our boy done. We had two separate vets recommend 6mths for us so we did. I would now have waited until a year if given my time again.

Not that I think he'd be any different I'd just have rathered not risk that it could've done something.

Interestingly when she was out earlier in the year Christine Zinc suggested that she would only ever desex a dog (or bitch) for a health issue directly related to their bits.

Her reasoning was that they develop more completely when they are left entire, are generally healthier for the length of their life when left entire and contrary to popular opinion they are actually LESS aggressive when left entire. Our dogs will be left entire at least until they have physically matured in future.

My experience is that desexing does not make animals fat - we have 3 desexed dogs at our place with about 4 ounces of fat between them. Just a matter of keeping a close eye on what they are fed. (They have PLENTY of energy BTW.)

She said on her last visit that she'd never do a sports dog before the age of 14 months.

Dr Zink's view is that from a veterinary perspective, there isn't a convincing argument to desex boys.

I'm certainly not going to be desexing any male pup at a rate of knots for both showing AND development reasons.

She said on her last visit that she'd never do a sports dog before the age of 14 months.

Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete by Chris Zinc

Ideally you look to the age of maturity for your breed but other factors do come into play. I have had large breed poundies desexed very young and had not noticeable difference but with a purebred dog which you can compare to a standard - then you can see and have differences. If I lived in a situation where my dogs were able to be well kept and exercised and kept safe I would go much longer before desexing but as I need them to be safe in the city/parks/street etc then I snip. Its as much other dogs reaction to them and I can't control that.

Yep, that's what she was talking about. PF - was the last visit you are talking of the one in June? I didn't see her speak, but the feedback I got was that her preference was not to desex at all, but definitely prior to 14 months.

Yep, that's what she was talking about. PF - was the last visit you are talking of the one in June? I didn't see her speak, but the feedback I got was that her preference was not to desex at all, but definitely prior to 14 months.

I first read that paper well before getting Tilba. It was enough for me, she was spayed at 14 mths after having her heat at 10 mths. She is now 3 1/2 yrs old. My son's 30 kg cross breed dog grew higher in the rear than she did at the shoulders & was spayed at 6 mths, while my 1st border collie was also done at 6 mths & had a lovely straight top line.

[

No, it would have been the previous time she visited - a few years ago now.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a feeling from the research I was doing that 6 months was too early. His breeder said the absolute earliest she would have a large breed dog desexed would be nine months so i am thinking more that age. I dont really want to leave him entire for too long as I would not want him to get out somehow and get another dog pregnant....I do not want to add to the over population of unwanted litters.

Thanks again for the replies, we have alot to think about :)

SOunds good alfie 02 - I'd never ever leave a dog an entire. I've seen what can happen in older male dogs with adanodes? Benign growths under and around the tail that ulcerate so you have to put a 14yo in for an operation to remove them then have them on female hormones - far easier to desex and avoid that issue ever happening. Let alone the chance of wandering, being stolen for breeding, etc.