How'd You Choose Your Breed?

Stack

I was looking for a dual purpose gundog with a friendly and intelligent temprament as a top priority the beatiful looks of my Brittany pup are just a bonus. :love: She loves people and other dogs and is very smart, confidant and very people oriented. :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How you do cope with a dog who is always in "drive" - aarrgghh - I couldn't cope. :laugh:

Give me a Collie who will join me for cocktails at sunset, but equally love a race up the beach.

(you are probably thinking ha ha - at least I don't live in a fur storm ha ha).

Em is a perfect fit for us although her intensity is not for everyone.

TSD seeing a video of little Em was what made me first look seriously into the breed :love: Simply amazing dogs and I can't wait to have one :)

You will have fun! But it will be a shock to the system....they wake up "in drive" :laugh: You will need to put a little more training into the "off switch"....oh, and they seem to think they are lap dogs :D

I grew up with corgis, can't remember if they were pembroke or cardigan. Still have a 'soft spot' for them today even though I remember them being nippy.

My first dog after leaving home was a Labrador after being introduced to them by my BF at the time. I haven't had any other breed since. Up to no 4 .

I am so one eyed Labrador that I don't see any of their faults :)

I love their natures & looks & they suit our lifestyle perfectly.

They are so willing to please, affectionate, energetic but happy to laze around too.

Labs are such happy dogs that I adore. No other breed makes me smile more than a beautiful Lab :) :) PERFECTION

How you do cope with a dog who is always in "drive" - aarrgghh - I couldn't cope. :laugh:

Give me a Collie who will join me for cocktails at sunset, but equally love a race up the beach.

Actually, collies are a breed that really appeal to me, I always sit near the collies at dog shows and I've met some absolutely gorgeous ones. But I look at them and think....hmmm.....they're a lot like an Aussie, might as well just get an Aussie. But I can actually see a collie in my future at some stage. Not for a few years but my perfect one would be a smallish blue merle bitch with a sweet, soft temperament.

Sorry to go OT but to answer colliehound's question, you train an "off switch". ESS tend to have quite a nice in built one going by Em's relatives but I do LOTS of training and age appropriate exercise and then down time is exactly that....with food toys and RMBs to keep her occupied, crate training and gentle guidance and a bit of maturity. Retrieving, in particular, is a very demanding sport - physically and mentally - so it's a wonderful outlet. Add obedience and agility and she is a very content dog. The hardest aspects to deal with are the birdiness (extreme!) and hunting instinct. Whistle recall is essential as it's like a fog descends over their brain. We are camping in Lakes Entrance and the dogs have been great. Twice daily beach runs, exploratory walks and road trips - Em is learning to relax at cafes even though the birds are right in her face and is currently passed out on my lap :D

I've found that a lot of breeds that appeal to me on paper, in pics and from DOL, don't hold quite the same appeal once I see them in the flesh. And then I keep veering back to group 5 dogs and in particular the collie breeds, then I look at them and think I might as well get another Aussie!

Similar story to me. I want another gundog so I can do retrieving and I look at other gundogs but then I always come back to the Lab. If I'm going to get a gundog, may as well stick with what I know and love!!

You know the funny thing is that Daisy my beagle is what I would describe is a dog of moderate drive at best, though she's a relatively hard dog nerve wise, I used to think that after living with her all I wanted for my next dog was a dog with low drive who was naturally calm and low energy.

Then I started dog sports and now I want the complete opposite and Daisy doesn't have anywhere near the drive I want! :laugh:

Even (especially!) a super high drive working line dog can be taught to have an off switch. I think the way you train them comes into this too - the dog needs to know that you will be able to satisfy their drive in training so that they can relax at other times. I am finding this is important even with Daisy who is not a high drive dog.

My priorities have definitely changed now and I'd be miserable with a 'couch potato' dog :)

Edited by huski

I didn't actually deliberately set out to "choose" a breed, in fact we weren't even wanting another dog at the time (already had 2 Sibes). But I stumbled across a photo of a JS online, fell head over heels in love and had to have one. Didn't expect my partner to say yes to a new addition, but he did, and the rest is history.

I love big dogs so naturally my first dog would be big. OH didn't like the typical dog, liked something a little more exotic. We also wanted a dog that wasn't a big barker and not terribly demanding. Fairly low coat maintenance and a rarer breed. We did one of those breed selector quizzes online and came up with a Borzoi or Afghan. The afghan coat is gorgeous but i was pretty sure i couldn't do it justice. I settled on a Borzoi and there just so happened to be a litter ready from a breeder who had similar beliefs to mine.

I wanted a dog that would rough house and borzoi aren't supposed to like that but luckily mine does. He's fun to play with but definitely has an off switch, and is wonderful to cuddle. I love watching him zoom around the yard. I would definitely have another one but would also like to try a breed with much more obedience/trainability.

When my gorgeous crossbreed passed on, I decided I wanted to start showing dogs. I was set on getting an ACD, but my parents didn't want one, as the previous dog was an ACD mix. So next up, I liked the Aussies. And so came along Rusty. However as much as I love him, I can't say I'd get another anytime soon...he's not the high-drive dog I thought he'd be...actually quite lazy :laugh:

So now I had Cherry (my staffy mix) and Rusty. I finally convinced the parents to let me get a third dog, but the criterea had to meet the condinitions that it was a small dog, with a relatively short cort. Well the alone cut out my dream of an ACD. Then the coat length cut out the Japanese spitz.I was looking for a dog that was loyal, aloof with strangers, intelligent, and not too yappy. I couldn't find anything, and I had always said I'd never own a schipperke (as a young child i would look through the dog breed books and i thought they looked boring :laugh: ), but now, I own one who I absaloutely adore! Best dog I've ever come across, intensly loyal. I am now definately hooked on schips, hope to breed them one day :)

However, when I can get a place of my own, I will be straight away getting an ACD ;) :laugh:

I ended up with Kelpies because I was attacked by a Dog quite badly around age 4ish (I think). Mum didn't want me to be scared so asked my Aunt to get a dog for us- and she told us about a runt on a farm that we went and picked up.

COMPLETELY the wrong breed for us- and not the best example but she was the best companion I had growing up, and defiantly ensured that I wasn't scared of dogs. When I lost her I knew I wanted to do dog sports and had my heart set on a Dally. Had contacted a breeder, was going to put my name on a waiting list, and came across a picture of a solid chocolate kelpie. I was completely sold and ended up with a pup a few months later.

The Finnish Lapphund chosen to fit in with the kelpies, do flyball in a slower division than the kelpies and I just wanted a Fluffy :). Demi ticks all those boxes

I have a Kelpie and a Westie. How did I choose the breeds?

One day we decided to get a dog and rescued a red cloud kelpie, we loved him, he was amazing.

Many years after he was gone we were looking for a second dog for our existing dog, looked in the newspaper and found a litter of kelpies. There were no red cloud kelpies around. So we brought home a kelpie.

Years later when we needed another second dog, I had always wanted a smaller dog but my hubby and son were believers in 'big dogs are real dogs' and they were against us getting a stupid little snappy yappy annoying dog (a teeny bit of generalisation me thinks).

So I did research and found that the West Highland Terrier is a little white dog, intelligent, sturdy, has the stamina to climb mountains with you, not'yappy' - all in all, my research found that the Westie was a small dog an the furthest thing from a stupid little annoying yappy dog.

Hubby and son were still opposed to me getting a 'little white dog', but hubby drive me to the breeder and he bought me my puppy and now he is completely in love with our little girl.

I was about to move out on my own, slightly rough area, and my list was:

- medium sized - big enough to make most people have a think, but small enough to pick up if needed.

- not fluffy or heavy shedding

- people orientated rather than dog orientated

- reaonsable energy levels (was thinking about getting into agility at that time)

- smart and reasonably trainable

- watchdog qualities, but not a dog that would be a noise pollution problem

- long legs and a long snout

I had problems finding a dog to match until someone suggested an Irish Terrier ("you'd like the scruffiness". I was fortunate enough to find a breeder (really, only one in the state) who kindly let me come round to meet her dogs.

I was there for four hours. Loved her dogs. They barked if you touched the gate, stopped if you backed off. The attitude was "you want me to do this? - No problems!" A great sense of humour, terrific colour too, and a twisted type of smart (what else do you call a dog that decides to get rid of the new kitten by trying to drown it in the goldfish pond with its front paws?)

I'm on my third Irish Terrier now. :)

Even if one is the not-so-sane Duke,he still qualifies!

I didn't actually deliberately set out to "choose" a breed, in fact we weren't even wanting another dog at the time (already had 2 Sibes). But I stumbled across a photo of a JS online, fell head over heels in love and had to have one. Didn't expect my partner to say yes to a new addition, but he did, and the rest is history.

That method would be dangerous here! If I did that, I'd have at least a dozen separate breeds running round my house at the moment laugh.gif

I didn't choose... OH did. His childhood dog was a BC so he always wanted another one, his 2nd choice was a Beagle. I didn't have a preference at the time, although I did love Shiba's after living in Japan, but it was decided.. BC's were to be.

Having lived next door to Corgis for most of my life, a lappie doesn't shed any more than them.

Really?? *narrows eyes at Kivi* You hear that, Kivi? No more than a corgi. Having lived with both a corgi and a lappie, it's a no-brainer to me that lappies shed more. Fewer guard hairs and less of the hair comes out without help, but we still have tumbleweeds and Kivi hairs turn up in the most unlikely places. The SV sheds about as much as the corgi did, and it's nothing compared to Kivi. Just not in the same league. I notice Erik's hair around the place, but I notice Kivi's a lot more. It's longer than mine!

My first dog was a Pembroke. I wanted a dog to be my pal. She was perfect. I went through adolescence with her and she was my best friend.

My second dog was a Finnish Lapphund. I found my corgi a wee bit clingy and intense for my liking. I wanted something smart, a little more independent, and laid back. I also had pet rabbits and an elderly corgi, so I wanted something gentle with little prey drive. Something moderately biddable, but not hugely active. Kivi Tarro has been everything I wanted plus a big dollop of pure sweetness. He is something special.

When my corgi died OH wanted another corgi, but I didn't. My corgi had back problems and I didn't want to risk having to deal with that again. So we were looking for a smallish dog that needed about the same amount of exercise as Kivi. Kivi spends a lot of time in off leash parks, so we wanted a dog that would be all right off leash as well, and could stand up to Kivi's boisterous play style. My mum has a SV who I adore. OH likes him, too. He's not entirely typical of the breed, so we chatted to a breeder about them and eventually decided to go for it. I'm not really sure what I was expecting with a Vallhund. Something like a corgi but not. They are not really very much like corgis. Of a kind, but I like valls better. Because you can't take them for granted. :) And because they are CRAZY smart. And more agile. And less clingy. Says the girl with a Vallhund almost permanently draped over her legs. And they are FUN! And sometimes exasperating. There's nothing Erik won't try. Which is both cool and alarming, depending on what he's decided to try. It's a good thing he's cute as a button, because he can get up to serious mischief when understimulated, but you can't be angry with that "did I do good?" face, even when it's hovering over a $900 pair of binoculars he's been chewing on. He's my E. Whatever I was expecting it wasn't what I got, but I wouldn't trade what I've got for anything.

I fell in love with boxers by accident. My best friend has had several over the years, each of them have been loveable clowns! :laugh:

When we started looking at adding a dog to our family last year we came up with this criteria: We wanted a medium-large breed, short minimal-fuss coat ( I'd rather walk a dog than clip/groom it ;)), energetic enough and not too fragile for kids to play with, a dog that would enjoy being with our family and a 'warning barker' rather than an 'every damned little thing barker' ( two of those live next door :mad ). It wasn't essential but I also have a thing for wrinkles..and um..jowels....

We had to wait a while for him but we finally got our gorgeous red boy in February. Bruno is 7 months old now and is fitting in well with our family. :)

As I sit here typing this my lovely boy is asleep at my feet. In prime position too, hogging the heater. ;)

The responses to this thread reminded me of the only other breed that we discussed that we both agreed on, which is a greyhound, we considered adopting one through GAP. I don't know what happened to this idea to be honest, maybe something to think about again. :laugh: Though, I think we'd prefer a dog as a pup rather than an older one. :)