Intact Males

blitz3

it really depends on the breed and/or temperament...

sometimes they can co-exist happily and sometimes there are issues. I had two male English Setters who happily co-existed both entire for two years, however I am sure that there may have been issues with them on occasion when the older one hit sexual maturity, but it didn't get to that point as I desexed the oldest boy before then.

It depends entirely on the two males involved.

Years ago, I was living in share accommodation with two intact males. We had to be so careful to keep them apart because one particular dog would exploit any opportunity to tell the other exactly where to go and how to get there! The instigator mellowed slightly in his old age but could never be trusted.

I've also had 3 intact males (14 yrs, 4 years, 2 years) and they were the best of friends. The 14 year old was the the same dog that received all the instigator's attention in the first paragraph. When the oldest passed away, the 4 year old was inconsolable for a good couple of months.

The right combination of intact males can work well, the wrong can be hell.

Agree... it does depend on the breed.

I have just taken on a 16mth old Std Poodle, who has been used at stud with my bitch (and produced some gorgeous babies ;) ) My problem was I already had a 4 year Std Poodle boy that had been residing here since a pup.

I was worried....to say the least! I introduced them on neutral territory...I think I was more worried than them.

They are the best playmates & rough house & play in the yard all day. There are no sqabbles when I go out there to play.

I couldn't be happier. But I no the consequences when things go "pear-shaped" It only takes one incident to upset the applecart.

I may still be in the "honeymoon" period....and to be sensible I will have my original boy castrated as the young dog is to be used at stud.

We have 11 entire males living here. The eldest is nearly 12 and the youngest is 8 months. We don't have any issues but they honestly have nothing to fight over. If there was an entire bitch here, I guess things could be different.

You just have to manage them well and convince them that you have more testosterone than they do ;) And being the only female in this house, that can pose a problem at times :laugh:

It's not just the breed but the individual dog as well. Our oldest boys are nearly 10 and they have lived most of their lives entire, Chester was chopped a couple of years ago now for health reasons. He was the only stud dog though, his brother will die a virgin! They are and always have been thick as thieves but they are VERY different personalities. As pups, Chester was teh naughty one and Burt was teh quiet one. They've grown up and swapped over :laugh: We have been very careful though making sure they are trained (to a certain extent) and never put them in situations which could trigger an argument, such as feeding, bones, women etc!

When we introduced Kevin to the mix, well, we would never let them run free with each other. Not that it was overtly aggressive, but the elders could potentially see a young pup coming in to take over as threatening but they would lose a fight if instigated. Again, it's all about management and not letting that particular situation happen.

If you're thinking about running more than one Stafford of any sex (and believe me, bitches are probably worse than dogs because they can really hold a grudge if they don't get along!) you have to make sure you have the facilities to keep them separate whilst you're out of the house. Sure they could get along famously but one tussel over a toy left lying around could potentially turn nasty. If you're not there to stop it you will come home to a very nasty scene. The only way to ensure their safety is to have runs made up so they still have room but are separated.

I have three entire males here and don't have a problem.

However I would never, ever, go out and leave them running together. I can leave them in the yard for twelve hours and not have a problem but it is not worth the stress and worry of the what ifs.

Not only does it depend on the breed, it depends on the environment.

When I was growing up we had to intact males Goldens. All was fine until my parent separated and the dogs moved with my mum and us kids. My father was the pack leader, so the dogs decided they needed to work out who was going to be the new leader.

It was awful! They could not be in the same room without fighting.

I have heard of this situation several times with various breeds

I have had up to 3 intact male Irish Wolfhounds live together in harmony BUT I don't have a bitch here at all so there's one less reason to fight. It is also a breed thing. Every scenario will be different with varying factors eg whether used at stud, ages and individual temperaments.

My boys have never had a problem living together - though the oldest one has just been recently desexed. And our "boys club" of entire males that get thrown together over race season is growing and getting along without a problem. It helps that they know they would cop a whole heap of shit if they even thought of starting something ;)

It seems it may be easier with dogs with pack mentality. Wolfhounds are very much a pack animal and I don't think they have the same image of self as my Aussie Terrier has. The terrier knows the planet is revolving to give him a place to stand. Every bit as affectionate as the hounds just very much and individual that doesn't requier a pack to feel complete.

post-30656-0-40723000-1312509843_thumb.jpg

We have 4 entire males, 2 of them aged 3 (10 weeks apart), a 12 month old and a 6 month old. The oldest 2 have both sired litters and the 12 month old is the son of one of these adults.

We dont have any serious issues. Sometimes the 3 year olds will have a grumble at each other over something trivial, but that's as far as it gets and they shut up when they are told to. They eat right next to each other without issue, sleep next to each other and are both house dogs so they are inside together from the time that I get home from work. They are also together when we have bitches in season and even then, we dont get any problems (touch wood). :laugh:

We dont run them outside together, but that's more from the fact that they each head up a "group" of dogs that run outside together for toilet breaks, (we have 9 dogs), rather than for the fact that I dont trust them together. I wont say that they love each other, but I dont ask that of them, I demand that they behave and they do so.

The 2 young ones get on well with everyone and run with either adult male without issue. These 2 really like each other and I cant see that changing, they enjoy each other's company.

I used to worry about 2 adult stud dogs being together, but after a trip to Germany, where it is common and they think we are strange to be separating our stud males, I realised that it was only a matter of training, leadership and sensible management.

Having said that, if I was to buy an adult male now to bring into the pack, the dynamic might well be completely different. In the long run, it comes down to the dog's temperament and training.

I used to worry about 2 adult stud dogs being together, but after a trip to Germany, where it is common and they think we are strange to be separating our stud males, I realised that it was only a matter of training, leadership and sensible management.

Ouch - dangerous advice.

In your breed it may well be so, Blitz has a Stafford, training & leadership means zero to these guys sometimes - when they go they go, and sometimes don't stop when asked to do so no matter how well trained or lead!

Personally I would never recommend someone with one Stafford buy another one of the same sex unless there was a considerable difference in age (your boy's only young isn't he Blitz?) and they are prepared to accept that it could well be that the pair will not get on and permanent and complete separation may be the only solution - and a crate/wire netting or a glass door won't do the job in all cases.

Stories abound in the terrier world of dogs which got on for many years then one day decided to kill each other over a leaf or a crumb of ten week old bread.

Edited by Sandra777

Ouch - dangerous advice.

In your breed it may well be so, Blitz has a Stafford, training & leadership means zero to these guys sometimes - when they go they go, and sometimes don't stop when asked to do so no matter how well trained or lead!

Personally I would never recommend someone with one Stafford buy another one of the same sex unless there was a considerable difference in age (your boy's only young isn't he Blitz?) and they are prepared to accept that it could well be that the pair will not get on and permanent and complete separation may be the only solution - and a crate/wire netting or a glass door won't do the job in all cases.

Stories abound in the terrier world of dogs which got on for many years then one day decided to kill each other over a leaf or a crumb of ten week old bread.

yeah my stafford is only coming up 9 months, i'd like another maybe middle of next year, i'm not rushing into anything and would hate to put any dog at risk.

Use this time to get your yard sorted out then. It will also help you more with breeders if they know you have the ways and means of keeping them seperate when you are out, and, if you're thinking of getting a bitch, when she's on heat.

With Staffords when a fight is on, it's on! It's bad enough happening when you're there, don't take the chance of it happening when you're not.

Use this time to get your yard sorted out then. It will also help you more with breeders if they know you have the ways and means of keeping them seperate when you are out, and, if you're thinking of getting a bitch, when she's on heat.

With Staffords when a fight is on, it's on! It's bad enough happening when you're there, don't take the chance of it happening when you're not.

if i'm not home my dogs are crated and when i'm home supervised in the yard, i've only ever owned 1 female and we clashed big time, for some reason i've always perfered males

Edited by blitz3

iv had two males both crossed breeds nd they neva got along lyk they were ok but every little thing got them in two an agument i had to give one of my boys up i still have my wolf hound bull masttiff mix i had to get rid of my red heealer x staffy

if i'm not home my dogs are crated and when i'm home supervised in the yard, i've only ever owned 1 female and we clashed big time, for some reason i've always perfered males

fair enough but what if you're away 8 hours plus? You can't crate them for that amount of time. What if they don't get on even when you're home? As Sandra has said, not all get along and you have to be prepared to accept the fact that the dogs may just hate the sight of each other, in which case it's rotational play and permanent separation. Thin crate wire and glass sometimes just won't cut it. If you are serious about getting more than one Stafford then I would seriously suggest you look at runs as an insurance policy.