Tethering Dogs In The Rear Of A Wagon.

Bundyburger

I've just bought a new wagon, and the dogs will be travelling in the back as they need the space. There's 6 tether points but I'm not sure what we should be attatching to their harnesses and the tether points. In our current cars they sit in the back seat, but we bought this car so that they'll have more space to sit in the boot, as two medium sized dogs gets awfully squishy on the back seat (and they get grumpy on long trips when they can't both fit to stretch out properly). The car does not have a cargo barrier, and even if it did, I'd still prefer that they're actually secure in the back and can't do anything silly. A cargo barrier will be installed when I can afford it, but it's a few months away as other things need to be done first.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Edited by Bundyburger

I have my two Goldens on a flat collar with their leads tied to the tether points but for my Shih Tzu (who doesn't lie nice and still) I have her in a harness with the lead a bit shorter. She can still sit up and look out the window and turn around but not reach the back seats and try and hang herself by jumping over the seat!

Are you asking what equipment to use or how to tie them?

I would be using a harness and not a collar first up, if you haven't already thought about that. Have you thought about a dog trailer, they are suprisingly light and affordable? Not sure what a brand new cargo barrier is worth but you can pick up second hand trailers for under a grand.

I know what you're saying about squishy, our 10 month old dobe had to be put in the crate in the back as he takes over the backseat.

I'm not sure what to use or how to tie them in the back. They'll be wearing their harnesses, and as to a dog trailer, well that's not necessary and is just overkill :laugh: I only have two dogs, and they're pets. If i can tether them properly i probably won't even need a cargo barrier, I was just answering that question before it got asked...

Edited by Bundyburger

I use a car harness which has a D ring on the back. I then feed a leash, clip through the handle so it's secure around the D ring and then clip the end of the leash to one of the anchor points on the floor of the cargo area.

I use a car harness which has a D ring on the back. I then feed a leash, clip through the handle so it's secure around the D ring and then clip the end of the leash to one of the anchor points on the floor of the cargo area.

Ohh thats a really good idea :D Will try that I think :) Might even just hunt down some double ended leads, that could work :)

Lol Pers good point

Edited by Bundyburger

I've just bought a new wagon, and the dogs will be travelling in the back as they need the space. There's 6 tether points but I'm not sure what we should be attatching to their harnesses and the tether points. In our current cars they sit in the back seat, but we bought this car so that they'll have more space to sit in the boot, as two medium sized dogs gets awfully squishy on the back seat (and they get grumpy on long trips when they can't both fit to stretch out properly). The car does not have a cargo barrier, and even if it did, I'd still prefer that they're actually secure in the back and can't do anything silly. A cargo barrier will be installed when I can afford it, but it's a few months away as other things need to be done first.

From Bunnings you can get cargo barriers and they are around $60.

or dog barrier thingys for the rear sections of 4WDs and stations wagons.

Edited by lilli

From Bunnings you can get cargo barriers and they are around $60.

or dog barrier thingys for the rear sections of 4WDs and stations wagons.

Ohh really? Will have to go look then :D

I Have a little one who has eaten through 4 leads while tethered in the back of my car. I got a short length of chain (about 1-1.5ft) and it has a carabiner (or you could use a dog clip) at each end and gets attached to her harness and a tether point in the car. But a double ended leash would do the same thing if yours don't eat through leashes!!!

I have a little hatch back ... so I use the baby seat anchor point and a double ended lead.

The cheapest lead is the blue and white waterski cord (it comes in two sizes - this is the bigger of the two) available in hardware stores and 2 decent clips - it is easy to do and can be made to any length - this is a photo of a longer one I made.

post-1668-0-05676300-1312620276_thumb.jpg