Do You Have A Pet With A Allergy?

Summersaint

37 members have voted

1. 1. What section does your pet fit in?

• Enviromental (i.e. Pollens, grasses, dust)
    • Food Based (i.e Chicken, Wheat, Lamb)
    • Both Enviromental & Food Based
  2. 2. Have you desexed your pet because of its allergies?

When one of our dogs Harry was diagnosed with enviromental allergies, I was taken back as I never knew the extent of allergies within pets and from what I have read on here it's apparently quite common.

Harry is back looking beautiful and healthy again on his medication but I am curious to see how allergies have effected other DOLer's?

also we always planned on desexing Harry but have allergies effected you decision to desex your pet?

My Dog has severe allergic skin disease and was desexed because I wouldn't breed on with this issue.

Food allergy is not as common and much easy to manage.

There is a breed predisposition in:

Great Dane

My dog is currently doing desensitization injections, but is not on any other meds.

Says whom?

Amber has food allergies. She reacts to wandering jew as well but I think that is more of an irritant than allergy as most dogs seem to react to it.

I haven't done enough research on whether it is inherited to decide to desex her on this issue.

Amber has food allergies. She reacts to wandering jew as well but I think that is more of an irritant than allergy as most dogs seem to react to it.

I haven't done enough research on whether it is inherited to decide to desex her on this issue.

Wandering Dew/Jew is just an irritant, normal reaction.

My labrador has Atopy and Food allergy. I can tell you that atopy in particular is a particularly widespread problem in dogs and often can be hard to control/manage.

Food allergy is not as common and much easy to manage.

There is a breed predisposition in:

- Lab & Golden retrievers

-Terriers (WHWT, Scottish, Fox, Aust silky)

-Min Schnauzers, Boxer, Staffordshire BT

-Dalmation, Rhodesian ridgeback, Great Dane

There is also a genetic predisposition so any dog with atopy should absolutely not be bred from!

and should therefore be desexed.

My dog is currently doing desensitization injections, but is not on any other meds.

This - with my dog Spartan. Atopy is incredibly difficult to manage and desensitisation does not work on some dogs, and it is never a 100% cure.

Would like to add, English Setters also have a predisposition to atopic skin allergies. I have been told that food allergies are not believed to be inherited, but the numbers of dogs with food allergies/intolerance are on the increase.

Spartan was a show dog, and I did show him, but I made the decision very early on that I woudl never allow him to be bred from. I desexed him at the age of 5.5y but even if i hadn't, he wouldn't have been bred from.

Skin problems are as difficult to find/diagnose and to track as HD is... it can skip many generations and crop up at any point. Sometimes I feel as though some people stick their head in teh sand when it comes to breeding dogs with skin problems, or relatives of dogs with skin problems. i wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

ETA Spartan is also allergic to chicken, which made his skin problems particularly difficult to diagnose

Edited by SparkyTansy

Im wondering if my dog may have this as well as food allergies and atopy as he gets heaps of infections too

Atopic dogs are predisposed to secondary infections.

My dog also frequently gets infections.

Thanks for your explanation Smoothiegirl- so the diagnosis was made on the basis of negative food allergy and skin testing? Atopica (cyclosporine) is pretty expensive isn't it? They also recommend it instead of corticosteroids for atopic dogs but it is really cost prohibitive for alot of owners, especially in large breeds :(

MEH- the list of predisposed breeds was given to me by our veterinary dermatologist. I can PM you the details if you wish to know more detail.

Casper our, recently pts, 14yr old lab had an allergic reaction to rice his entire life. He had it prior to desexing and after. He would get the most horrendous diarrhea a few hours after eating it :vomit: He was fine with everything else.

Im wondering if my dog may have this as well as food allergies and atopy as he gets heaps of infections too

Atopic dogs are predisposed to secondary infections.

My dog also frequently gets infections.

Thanks for your explanation Smoothiegirl- so the diagnosis was made on the basis of negative food allergy and skin testing? Atopica (cyclosporine) is pretty expensive isn't it? They also recommend it instead of corticosteroids for atopic dogs but it is really cost prohibitive for alot of owners, especially in large breeds :(

MEH- the list of predisposed breeds was given to me by our veterinary dermatologist. I can PM you the details if you wish to know more detail.

Yes that woiuld be great, thanks. I'd love a reference link or e-mailed a clinical document if it were possible? [email protected]