Help Save Wylie - Nowzad Dogs Rescue Charity

j

Please have a look at the link, he is a gorgeous looking dog

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/afghan-life-a-dog-fight/2250520.aspx

Afghan life a dog fight

KERRIE ARMSTRONG

07 Aug, 2011 12:00 AM

THEY SAY cats have nine lives, but on the streets of Afghanistan, dogs do too.

Wylie has used up several of his lives.

It is only through the efforts of Australian Federal Police agent, Narelle Jensz, who arrived in the Middle East from Gundaroo, 30km from Canberra, that he has an opportunity to keep what he has left.

He was captured by locals and forced to take part in a dog fight that nearly killed him. He had his ears, tail and penis cut off, his muzzle slashed open and he was thrown in front of a car. British soldiers managed to rescue him and bring him to the Gundaroo agent at the Kandahar Air Field, who had been using her veterinary science skills to nurse injured Afghan dogs back to health.

With the help of Australian and US army medical staff, she cleaned and stitched his wounds and brought him back to life.

And then she decided to bring Wylie, aged between four and five years, home.

"Wylie has the ability to win you over without even trying," Ms Jensz said.

"For a dog who has endured so much at the hand of humans, there is no malice or aggression, just forgiveness. He is a survivor".

Ms Jensz said she had seen and felt the effect Wylie had on soldiers serving in an unforgiving war zone.

"He had become the symbol of hope and strength to so many at [Kandahar Air Field]. Wylie is a pivotal part of my life and my experience in Afghanistan because of what he represents and the efforts of those around him [to save him]. Its a bond stronger and more profound than most".

Wylie began his journey home in May when he was taken to the northern Afghanistan shelter of the British dog rescue charity Nowzad Dogs. In June, he flew to Britain to complete six months of quarantine, but now there needs to be raised $11,000 to get him to Australia, as Nowzad Dogs relies on public donations to reunite dogs with their adoptive owners.

"[i'm looking forward to] giving him the biggest hug in the world and reminding him people are not about to give up on him," Ms Jensz said.

"The next step is to introduce him to grass and the rolling waves of the ocean".

Visit nowzaddonations.chipin.com/wylie to help bring Wylie home.

Edited by j

Central Asians aren't easy to import ...

but 11,000 is a pretty good price!

:thumbsup:

ETA:

Actually if the dog is now in Britain, $11,000 is way too expensive!

wtf are they flying him, Business Class?

Edited by lilli

Please have a look at the link, he is a gorgeous looking dog

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/afghan-life-a-dog-fight/2250520.aspx

Afghan life a dog fight

KERRIE ARMSTRONG

07 Aug, 2011 12:00 AM

THEY SAY cats have nine lives, but on the streets of Afghanistan, dogs do too.

Wylie has used up several of his lives.

It is only through the efforts of Australian Federal Police agent, Narelle Jensz, who arrived in the Middle East from Gundaroo, 30km from Canberra, that he has an opportunity to keep what he has left.

He was captured by locals and forced to take part in a dog fight that nearly killed him. He had his ears, tail and penis cut off, his muzzle slashed open and he was thrown in front of a car. British soldiers managed to rescue him and bring him to the Gundaroo agent at the Kandahar Air Field, who had been using her veterinary science skills to nurse injured Afghan dogs back to health.

With the help of Australian and US army medical staff, she cleaned and stitched his wounds and brought him back to life.

And then she decided to bring Wylie, aged between four and five years, home.

"Wylie has the ability to win you over without even trying," Ms Jensz said.

"For a dog who has endured so much at the hand of humans, there is no malice or aggression, just forgiveness. He is a survivor".

Ms Jensz said she had seen and felt the effect Wylie had on soldiers serving in an unforgiving war zone.

"He had become the symbol of hope and strength to so many at [Kandahar Air Field]. Wylie is a pivotal part of my life and my experience in Afghanistan because of what he represents and the efforts of those around him [to save him]. Its a bond stronger and more profound than most".

Wylie began his journey home in May when he was taken to the northern Afghanistan shelter of the British dog rescue charity Nowzad Dogs. In June, he flew to Britain to complete six months of quarantine, but now there needs to be raised $11,000 to get him to Australia, as Nowzad Dogs relies on public donations to reunite dogs with their adoptive owners.

"[i'm looking forward to] giving him the biggest hug in the world and reminding him people are not about to give up on him," Ms Jensz said.

"The next step is to introduce him to grass and the rolling waves of the ocean".

Visit nowzaddonations.chipin.com/wylie to help bring Wylie home.

I'd like to know the facts on this one :laugh:

Poor bugger - there are such cruel heartless people all over the world, Im so glad they could help him and by doing that - helped themselves under dreadful circumstances , war is a very difficult place to be for anyone.

I would imagine they will be able to raise the funds within the defence forces - I would love to meet Wiley , brave little soul.

i agree its a sad story but if she wants to bring him to Australia from Britain she should pay the money herself, otherwise get the dog adopted to a family in Britain. $11000 could help so many other dogs in Afghanistan or anywhere else in the world. Getting it to Australia is no longer about the dog but about the owners.

I like what he has been able to do for the people around him, "He had become the symbol of hope and strength to so many at [Kandahar Air Field]."

His story has a lot of potential to inspire a lot more people. $11K is a lot of money, but good luck to them. Maybe some of it is going to boarding fees whilst money is being raised? 6 months is a long quarantine poor baby.