Yet Another Breed Suggestion Needed

Shakti

Except for the small lapdog aspect what other activities do they want to do with the dog.

Go walking,not alot of walking,

As far as grooming they are happy to pay for a groomers or importantly do regular brushing & i say this because we get many folks who start with a long coat fluffy who ends up so matted it becomes a short coat fluffy & ideally not always the best selection

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if they think a poodle is too much exercise then a mini schnauzer would be too much, robust little dogs the bearded ones!

i vote a bichon. but they do love to be with their ppl so if they won't be home very much then maybe tell them to get a burmese cat! :laugh: as doggy as a cat can be without barking. :D

I stayed with someone who breeds Tibbies earlier this year and they certainly are different little dogs. Dunno about them being lap dogs though, they seemed to be quite happy to sit on their own bums, thank you very much. And one of them barked a lot. A very lot. And it was an ear splitting bark.

One thing I noticed about them was that if you were sitting down and there was a way for them to be level with your head, they'd get up there. They don't seem to like being "beneath" you.

I'd agree that Tibbies are different little dogs. My Tibbies are not like the ones you describe at the breeder you visited... they love to cuddle on laps & are not barkers. One's from Sweden & the other's from NSW. It would never occur to my tibs to get higher than my head if I'm sitting down. They like to be at my feet, at my side or on my lap. In fact, I just got back from the groomer who remarked how she loves how my tibbie cuddles in to her neck. Our first Tibbie, who came from Q'ld, was selected to be a therapy dog at a children's hospital because she, too, was cuddly & loved to be with people.

The Tibbie next door came from Victoria & tends to bark (but not mindlessly), and is aloof with strangers. She has a different temperament from mine.

Edited by mita

I stayed with someone who breeds Tibbies earlier this year and they certainly are different little dogs. Dunno about them being lap dogs though, they seemed to be quite happy to sit on their own bums, thank you very much. And one of them barked a lot. A very lot. And it was an ear splitting bark.

One thing I noticed about them was that if you were sitting down and there was a way for them to be level with your head, they'd get up there. They don't seem to like being "beneath" you.

I'd agree that Tibbies are different little dogs. My Tibbies are not like the ones you describe at the breeder you visited... they love to cuddle on laps & are not barkers. One's from Sweden & the other's from NSW. It would never occur to my tibs to get higher than my head if I'm sitting down. They like to be at my feet, at my side or on my lap. In fact, I just got back from the groomer who remarked how she loves how my tibbie cuddles in to her neck. Our first Tibbie, who came from Q'ld, was selected to be a therapy dog at a children's hospital because she, too, was cuddly & loved to be with people.

The Tibbie next door came from Victoria & tends to bark (but not mindlessly), and is aloof with strangers. She has a different temperament from mine.

I can honestly say that I didn't love them, although the breeder does. They weren't really my type of dog, but hers would suit lots of people, just not me. She had some babies there though and they were about the most adorable things I've ever seen.

I can honestly say that I didn't love them, although the breeder does. They weren't really my type of dog, but hers would suit lots of people, just not me. She had some babies there though and they were about the most adorable things I've ever seen.

Well, the behaviours you described are not like the Tibbies we've owned or own now. In fact, it seems ours have very opposite traits. We love ours....& so do others....because they are so people-friendly & cuddly.

The young male vet examines our girls by sitting on the floor, because they love to climb into his lap.

Maybe there's lines with different temperaments. As I said, ours have come from Sweden, NSW & Q'ld. And not one behaviour from your post fits them.

The Bichon has a gorgeous temperament and is the perfect lap dog. A word of caution though they bond very strongly with their people and don't like to be left alone at all. High grooming needs too. If they want a bit more independance in the dog then perhaps one of the tibetan breeds.

Some bichons, but not all. My bichon Mozart was pretty relaxed about the various comings and goings. I know that some bichons are less flexible though. He did live to be with me - I always had that lively 'welcome home' dance from him. A great breed and less happy than many of the lapdogs.

Guest lavendergirl

Oops I meant less yappy! Not less happy.

Yes definitely not yappy at all - the Shih Tzus I have met are far more yappy. I know what you mean by the Bichon "dance" - there is nothing quite like it :laugh:

:laugh: Most CKCS I see at work remind me of Wombats, little Fatties :rofl:

only if you over feed them, mine aren't :)

oh u have met mine ;)

My two aren't either!

Anyway, wombats are cute :D

Edited by Akay

Thank you all very much - I have been diligently handing on all the suggestions and at this stage they are keen to learn more about Tibbies and Maltese.

I think the CKCS are a little bigger than they wanted and also the ones she has met have been surprisingly active (certainly as teens anyway!)

What sort of price range should they be looking at for a pet puppy from a good breeder please? Are Maltese generally more laid-back or more active - I think I remember seeing an amazing Maltes3e on Greatest American Dog - am I right?

Not sure about activity levels of the Maltese - but barking can be an issue so if they're going down that road then be careful in your search and look for balanced, sensible parents. They are a little dog but can be very loud!