Getting A Puppy 101

Kati184

Thank you all for the great information. I passed it all onto my Mum and she says that having fun researching is the next best thing to actually having a puppy at home already :D

Some further questions from us:

- the Papillon - they shed their coat quite a bit don't they? The image of a clipped one sounds very strange :eek:

- mini schnauzer - from what I read their energy levels might suit my parents but are they also a breed that like being a lap dog too?

- Shih tzu's - what is the difference between this breed and the Bichons? I know their coats are different but how about their personalities?

- Poodles - again, what is the difference from the Bichons and the Shih tzus? It seems that these three breeds have lots of 'crosses' but want to stick with the purebreds so we are trying to determine the differences :)

- what is the etiquette when attending a dog show as an observer? Also which one is best to go to (we are in Brisbane)? I have looked at the CCCQ website and they have dates for conformation shows, obedience trials, field & herding shows and extended shows listed - which one is best to go to? No idea here! :confused:

Thanks again, you have all been great!

My bichon frise died recently at the age of 13 and all I can say is they're a magic breed and I highly recommend them. He was a fantastic dog - they are famous for having wonderful temperaments in many (though of course not all) cases. He certainly did - utterly bombproof and always happy and so easy to live with.

The points made earlier about picking up prickles etc. are of course true. You are also right - the coat can be kept short to dramatically reduce this problem. When kept short they are very low maintenance but of course a bichon will need to be clipped regularly or they will soon have a long coat. If you keep them in a longer coat they will pick up every bit of dirt and every prickle in their path. So you need to be vigilant if taking a coated bichon bush-walking to ensure you remove all prickles and especially grass seeds when you're done. This would be the same for any non-shedding breed.

In terms of some of the comparisons you have asked about:

- a poodle is higher energy and more bouncy (generally) than a bichon, but also a happy breed (I've had mini poodles as well and I love them but noticeably more active so it depends what you want). Same issue with coat length and prickles etc. so again it's your choice and you can keep them short if you prefer

- Papillon - another great breed and also very smart (like a tiny sheepdog really) - yes they do shed some hair but they're fairly small so not loads and loads of hair. They need grooming and again you'll need to keep an eye on prickles in the longer coat. I can't imagine clipping a Papillon into a short coat - possible but just seems wrong but others may disagree

- mini schnauzers - also great dogs. Perhaps a smidge more feisty than a poodle, and certainly more than most bichons, but not extreme at all and great dogs. Smart, easy to train. Can be kept pretty short. Love the beard!

- Shih Tzus are quite different from a bichon in the temperament stakes. Bichons are typically a love sponge and quite sweet and playful (some can be shy). Shih Tzus (as I understand it) can be a bit more on the feisty side. But perhaps someone with more knowledge of Shih Tzus can confirm this? I've never owned one myself.

Etiquette at shows is just go along and enjoy watching all the beautiful dogs. Remember everyone loves their breed the best so they can sometimes be a bit one-eyed about it and some people don't want to talk in detail about their breed's disadvantages (all breeds have them).

And remember if someone is showing a coated breed they're pretty busy grooming until their dog has been in the ring. So stand back and admire until after they've been through, but if you want a more detailed conversation you'll find them in a more relaxed frame of mind after their time in the ring, so be sympathetic to that and give them space earlier in the day if they look like they are busy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kati84

Just wanted to pop in and say welcome and congratulations for doing your research and being careful in your choice of a companion for the next ten or 15 years - the research you do will return to you 10 fold in the absolute joy of choosing the right puppy.

Having had the joyful agony of rehabbing two adult puppy farm rescue dogs it so restores my faith to see people like you doing their homework so they can make an informed choice. just wish everyone was like you.

The breeds you are considering are all fantastic - friends of mine in England have a young mini schnauzer, they are active people and they couldn't be happier with their new family member. So a schnauzer would be a good choice.

Obviously I'm a westie lover, and they are low shedding (no such thing as a 'no shedding' dog IMO) and I'm sure they would be good bush walkers (they were bred for hunting in the Scottish highlands afterall). They are absolute lap dogs, love a cuddle but spirited, with a bit of an independent streak, not at all yappy. So a westie might be suitable too - particularly if your Mum likes low shedding SWFs with character.

Anyway good luck with your search, welcome and will be very interested in your final choice. :)

I think there are two reasons why we are so keen to do the research and get it right - firstly, the family dog we had when I was growing up was the dog of my heart (I will always miss our Eppo boy, he was my guardian angel) but we learnt a lot of what not to do as he struggled with behavioural issues. Secondly, we also love cats and when I was getting my Sophie I became aware of the value of picking the brains of the more experienced on a cat forum - the difference knowledge and information make is amazing (as well as being made aware of the not so helpful nature of some of the 'old school' pet ownership methods/myths).

So thank you all again for rewarding our efforts to learn with your patience and advice :thumbsup: I am collating all of the information you are giving us and Mum will print it out and start a 'dog info' folder - she loves her folders, lol.

Westies are now on the list too. Arne't they gorgeous little guys? The list is getting longer rather than shorter but since we have time before any decisions are made we are happy to research them all.

Oh - a weird question - my SIL said she'd heard that the Bichon's smell nicer than the usual dog - something about their skin??? :confused:

Welcome Kati - you've certainly come to the right place.

I wrote a thread on how to buy a purebred pup a while back. Click here for a link

Personally I'd avoid any dog with prominent eyes if you intend to do a lot of bush walking. I also think a short legged breed like a Shih Tzu would struggle on rough ground for any distance.

My recommendation would be a Toy Poodle. They can be kept clipped short for ease of coat management. Go for a darker colour - far less maintenance than a white dog.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest lavendergirl

I think there are two reasons why we are so keen to do the research and get it right - firstly, the family dog we had when I was growing up was the dog of my heart (I will always miss our Eppo boy, he was my guardian angel) but we learnt a lot of what not to do as he struggled with behavioural issues. Secondly, we also love cats and when I was getting my Sophie I became aware of the value of picking the brains of the more experienced on a cat forum - the difference knowledge and information make is amazing (as well as being made aware of the not so helpful nature of some of the 'old school' pet ownership methods/myths).

So thank you all again for rewarding our efforts to learn with your patience and advice :thumbsup: I am collating all of the information you are giving us and Mum will print it out and start a 'dog info' folder - she loves her folders, lol.

Westies are now on the list too. Arne't they gorgeous little guys? The list is getting longer rather than shorter but since we have time before any decisions are made we are happy to research them all.

Oh - a weird question - my SIL said she'd heard that the Bichon's smell nicer than the usual dog - something about their skin??? :confused:

They don't have a "doggy" odour but they do smell like wool :) I also think that the Bichon and Shih Tzu may not enjoy long bush walks as much as the Schnauzer or Westie.

Well we went to the Durack show today and really enjoyed it. It was pouring and cold to begin with but thankfully it dried and warmed up a little. We had trouble finding the different breeds but were very fortunate to meet a lovely lady who breeds Havanese and I must say we are in love with these little guys. We didn't get to meet any Bichon Frises or Mini Schnauzers which would have been good so we might try again at another show. I suspect the rain may have made us miss some of the judging and the rest of the time many were safely tucked away in the tents to keep dry.

But all in all it was fascinating and a great experience.

Well done - and keep going until it all lines up for you - cos it will. Westies although white are not high maintenance - I have a large back yard which gets very muddy after rain - and a quick dunk in the laundry trough and my guys are pristine again!

Here's one of my favourite westie photos - and as I said at the time - 'who said westies can't do agility'?? :thumbsup: Check out his/her face - what spunk!

Have fun on the journey.... :) Looking forwrad to the next installment...

post-11746-0-94514100-1313919519_thumb.jpg

Awwww what a gorgeous photo WestieMum! Sadly we didn't get to see any of them either so we'll have to keep trying as you say. We'll be a bit less unsure next time and maybe ask for more direction.

It's a fun process and will be taken very slowly to ensure we learn all we want to in preparation. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest donatella

I have been searching every where and cant seem to find how long I should be staying home with my puppy for is one week enough time?

what sort of puppy? how old will he/she be? the older they are the easier they are to train and therefore leave home and go to work. i've just been through this myself :D

I have been searching every where and cant seem to find how long I should be staying home with my puppy for is one week enough time?

what sort of puppy? how old will he/she be? the older they are the easier they are to train and therefore leave home and go to work. i've just been through this myself :D

Dalmatian, and he will be 8 weeks, I plan on crate training and I am looking into a pen for when Im not home, (because we have another dog I will need to separate them till im 110% puppy wont get on doggies nerves) :)

sometimes.

A lot of breeders get tyre kickers so they want some sort of committment from you that you won't change your mind and refuse to take the dog.

I'd want something in writing that states what the deposit is for. Eg fair enough you forfeit it if you change your mind. But what if there is something wrong at the breeder's end ie the puppy isn't healthy? And what happens if something dramatic happens like your house burns down and you can't take the puppy at the appointed time - do you give up the puppy and the deposit or do you ask the breeder to hold the puppy until you have a new place?

There's probably something standard for it. I imagine a sensible deposit would be around 10% or 20% of the final price but I've seen some as high as 60% or two thirds. If I was the breeder and I thought it took that much to hold a buyer to their committment - I'd be questioning if I really wanted them as a puppy owner.

The other way of looking at it, is how much extra would you pay for a puppy at 8 to 12 weeks - that's how much the breeder loses if you decide you don't want the puppy.

sometimes.

A lot of breeders get tyre kickers so they want some sort of committment from you that you won't change your mind and refuse to take the dog.

I'd want something in writing that states what the deposit is for. Eg fair enough you forfeit it if you change your mind. But what if there is something wrong at the breeder's end ie the puppy isn't healthy? And what happens if something dramatic happens like your house burns down and you can't take the puppy at the appointed time - do you give up the puppy and the deposit or do you ask the breeder to hold the puppy until you have a new place?

There's probably something standard for it. I imagine a sensible deposit would be around 10% or 20% of the final price but I've seen some as high as 60% or two thirds. If I was the breeder and I thought it took that much to hold a buyer to their committment - I'd be questioning if I really wanted them as a puppy owner.

The other way of looking at it, is how much extra would you pay for a puppy at 8 to 12 weeks - that's how much the breeder loses if you decide you don't want the puppy.

Yea, Iv decided to go check them out tomorrow, if I like one of them ill put the deposit down.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i am new to the forum and first time poster. I too am researching breeds and am close to deciding. Either a Bichon Frise or a Westie. Now I need to find a reputable breeder preferably in Victoria with a litter ready to be collected mid December. I would really appreciate any help with this that is available. :)

I just wanted to say we have a bichon ... We love him to bits he is such a charater , loveable , norty ( in a cheeky chappie way )our only problem is grooming , we have found it impossible to find a show cut groomer in our area and are still looking for ways to get training for hubs , so he can do it his self. we do groom him every day but he still gets knotts. Other than that he is perfect and is a joy to us in every way. :)

Hi Vickyimills, contact Ron http://www.dolforums.com.au/user/12777-ron/ and ask him if he can recommend a breeder in Victoria. You will need to know if you want the Westie as a pet or if you would like to show him/her.

If you can contact the Vic club http://www.whwtclubvic.org.au/index.htm and find out when they are having a show you could pop along and chat to the owners.