How Do You Deal With How Other Ppl "discipline" Your Dogs?

BC Love

Hi :)

Ok, so my neighbour thinks the way I do things with my pooch (18wk old pup) is stupid - for eg : dog jumping on kids - be a tree, no hitting dog at all, ect ect.

Anyway - this morning he was over and said if the dog jumped on his child he would hit it - and Im like - no one is allowed to hit my dog ever! He just said - well I would. He didnt think it mattered that he is a puppy ect - no excuses just whale the dog!!

Any way - how do you deal with people who use (or want to) their very different forms of training or discipline on your dog.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not in control of my dog, and it jumps on.annoys someone - then if they push /hit the dog .. it's my fault. ;) I can ask people to not pat/discipline my dog while it's on leash or under my control ..but if I'm not looking .. then I need to acccept that something I don't approve of may happen. My problem.

What does "whale the dog" even mean?

I don't think it matters what other people WANT to do so long as they don't actually DO it.. If someone hit my Hugo, I would destroy them. But the issue hasn't come up since people don't usually discipline your dogs for you.

I would not allow any sort of physical punishment of my dogs. But, if I'm unable to control my dogs and they run up to someone and do something that the other person finds unacceptable, I can't really complain if my dogs get a kick in the ribs. I could point out that it was excessive, but I should have been in control, so it would be my fault.

As for other people "training" my dogs, I don't mind, as long as they are gentle and just withholding affection or treats etc. Even if it's something I don't care about, they care about it, and as long as they are being nice about it I won't care. But, if they decided to train my dogs by giving them a slap on the face or a smack or alpha rolling etc, I would have a go at them for it.

So if you allow your dog to jump on his kid, then fair enough if he decides to punish your dog. He has even told you that that's what will happen, so if you now choose to not have sufficient control to prevent it, it's all on you.

persephone - here is where the problem lays - they are neighbours that pop over whenever - their kids play with our kids in the yard - and I dont think Roy should be locked away or on a lead just because they are here (they are here multiple times a week). So maybe I need to be tougher on Roy? I have 4 children - 3 of which are old enough to be awesome trees when Roy gets jumpy - maybe I should be doing more?

It's a simple as this "If you are coming into my yard you will adhere to my rules - we currently have a pup, he is being trained not to jump but still may as he isn't fully trained yet. Please don't hit my dog, by all means remove the dog and use a stern NO! if you feel this isn't to your liking - don't come over, and if I ever see/hear of you smacking my dog you are going to be picking yourself up from the floor"

I think, if you are having kids over who are not as dog savvy as yours - yes, Roy should be kept away.. or be with them on leash, with you.

It will save him being branded as rough/naughty/whatever.. and will show the kids what a responsible owner can do to ensure safety :)

..there are activities for kids to learn how to play around dogs, etc - Who knows the neighbour's kids may then educate Dad ;)

LINK

If I'm not in control of my dog, and it jumps on.annoys someone - then if they push /hit the dog .. it's my fault. ;) I can ask people to not pat/discipline my dog while it's on leash or under my control ..but if I'm not looking .. then I need to acccept that something I don't approve of may happen. My problem.

I would not allow any sort of physical punishment of my dogs. But, if I'm unable to control my dogs and they run up to someone and do something that the other person finds unacceptable, I can't really complain if my dogs get a kick in the ribs. I could point out that it was excessive, but I should have been in control, so it would be my fault.

As for other people "training" my dogs, I don't mind, as long as they are gentle and just withholding affection or treats etc. Even if it's something I don't care about, they care about it, and as long as they are being nice about it I won't care. But, if they decided to train my dogs by giving them a slap on the face or a smack or alpha rolling etc, I would have a go at them for it.

So if you allow your dog to jump on his kid, then fair enough if he decides to punish your dog. He has even told you that that's what will happen, so if you now choose to not have sufficient control to prevent it, it's all on you.

Looks like you have two choices;

1.Remove the dad and kid from the house so puppy cant jump on them.

2.When the dad and kid come over remove the puppy from where they are (or put it on a leash) so the puppy can't jump on them.

Ok - so do you think that for the next few weeks when they are over I should get him on lead? Argh - just seems like he will be on lead alot- they can be here fairly often (like daily!) lol!! Should I have better control over my 18 week old boy's jumping - maybe I have been to soft.

If I'm not in control of my dog, and it jumps on.annoys someone - then if they push /hit the dog .. it's my fault. ;) I can ask people to not pat/discipline my dog while it's on leash or under my control ..but if I'm not looking .. then I need to accept that something I don't approve of may happen. My problem.

This. Although if they do hit my dog, then I will get piss off at them. There are other ways of making a dog stop jumping.

You are suppose to control your dogs at all time. If I know my dog is being stupid, then I will put him/her on a leash and only let the pup off the leash when he/she calms down. You are suppose to train your dog to have manners (sorry, using "puppy" isn't a good enough excuse to let your dog jump on a kid and that be OK).

I will be seriously piss off if someone else dog jump on my kid.. just like I will be mortified if my dog jumps and knocks over a kid. I will protect my child and if a dog jump on my kid, I will make the dog stop ( will just pull the dog off and make it sit and focus on me).

Hmm where did my post go? :(

yes, I do think the pup should be either under physical control, or away from these kids ;) It will do two things. Save him from making mistakes, and being branded as a naughty dog ..and help teh kids see what things can be done.

You might also want to do some activities found in this little ebook .. who knows, Th e kids may then educate their Dad :) ?

LINK

:)

persephone - here is where the problem lays - they are neighbours that pop over whenever - their kids play with our kids in the yard - and I dont think Roy should be locked away or on a lead just because they are here (they are here multiple times a week). So maybe I need to be tougher on Roy? I have 4 children - 3 of which are old enough to be awesome trees when Roy gets jumpy - maybe I should be doing more?

I always locked my dogs away when visiting children were around. I was protecting the dogs, not the kids.

It's a simple as this "If you are coming into my yard you will adhere to my rules - we currently have a pup, he is being trained not to jump but still may as he isn't fully trained yet. Please don't hit my dog, by all means remove the dog and use a stern NO! if you feel this isn't to your liking - don't come over, and if I ever see/hear of you smacking my dog you are going to be picking yourself up from the floor"

This is how I told him I would prefer to act ^^