Need Info On Why Not To Randomly Stud Out A Dog.

mr.mister

Hi guys,

A family member has a male Rottie that she has now decided she doesn't want to desex, because everyone around her keeps telling her he is so stunning that she should stud him out. She has a less than stellar record of her pet-keeping over the years, and can't see the problem with just 'letting him breed'. She knows nothing about breeding and of course the dog isn't health tested or hip scored.

Unfortunately, she is incredibly headstrong and will probably brush any information I have discouraging her aside, but I figured it might be worth a shot consulting DOL for any factual links to information that may scare her off it. It's a really long shot getting her to not do it but I am at least going to try. :(

Any information at all - again, facts with links supplied, would be fabulous.

If the family member is into the macho thing, and the dog is big and muscly, I'd say 'good luck'. A Rotti breeder I know complains (or is it bragging) that he often gets approached by people with other 'tough' dogs . . . mostly mastiff crosses . . . to use his dogs. He's a Pedigree fanatic, and tells them to shove it. Unfortunately, someone who doesn't give a hoot about Pedigrees and doesn't health test . . . and sees the dog as an extension of his masculinity, is likely to think it's cool to sire a lot of pups.

If I were you, I'd push on health testing, though.

My mother in law wants us to let Chester have a litter of pups with any breed of female! She thinks desexing is stupid and that breeders only sell limited register pups so that others don't make any money off breeding with them!! She was so angry that we paid more than $100 for a dog, and got furious when she found out how much he actually cost.

She has three dogs, all small cross bred fluffies and all are entire and have never been to a vet in their life and all very much need to. And she wonders why we declined her offer to take Chester around to their place (5 minutes away) to play!! He will definitely have his next lot of needles and a flea prevention before he goes anywhere near them!!

Is it a papered dog? has anyone actually offered her their bitch?

He is papered, and as far as I know, not yet. However, with all of these people who keep mentioning what a good specimen he is and that she should breed him, I doubt it would take long for her to find a suitor.

She wanted to breed him with her partner's young stafford bitch because they would make 'handsome puppies' but luckily the partner is against it and is getting her desexed.

Thankyou for the suggestions guys. Does anybody know of the health tests (if any) that are routinely done for rotties?

I'd tell her this.

What makes her think the dog is good enough to advertise at stud. The people that tell her the dog is good are not judges or breed stalwarts. These are just people that THINK the dog is nice. It could be a dreadful specimen of the breed for all they know.

We have plenty of top show dogs that have had all their testing done that get very little stud work.

If she thinks the dog is so good tell her to go and show it and get a title on it to prove that the dog is good enough to go to stud. Then she can advertise the dog at stud once all the necessary health tests are done. She also needs to be a financial member of states controlling body to sign a stud certificate and show the dog.

rememberdiesel.webs.com

if she wants to email me go for it. Conversely come visit Diesel while he can still stand on 4 legs. I'm sure the idiot who bred him thought his parents were 'stunning' too

Dont worry I had even bigger idiots telling me that because Diesel was so big he should go make puppies. Doesnt matter he has no hip sockets the bitch will fix that :banghead:

Edited by Nekhbet

Does anybody know of the health tests (if any) that are routinely done for rotties?

Hips and elbows - x-raying and scoring.

We also have an eye and mouth certificate completed by a vet which certifies that the dog is free from entropian and ectropian (also includes more "cosmetic" issues like similarity of eye colour, number of teeth, if the bite is scissor or not, etc).

ops . . .didn't read carefully, he's a she . . . and it may be significant that the dog is papered.

Who knows. The dog may be stunning and a good example of the breed. If this were my relative, I'd encourage her to do it right if she's going to do it. Do the tests, do a bit of showing, end up with a dog that merits being studded out, and might even bring in a good stud fee. And if the health tests show he's not fit to sire, off go the nuts, cause you don't want to end out sued . . . or shamed . . . for passing on hereditary diseases.

Ditto others. Rottis are prone to serious hip and elbow problems, also entropian and ectropian. In OFFA stats, 40% of Rottis have OCD (third worst of all listed breeds) and ~20% have HD.

Because if she "studs him out" in Victoria and she has not hip and elbow scored him and tested for any hereditary conditions, she'll find herself on the wrong side of the law if ANY pup he sires has health issues. :)

Hi Poodlefan,

Is there some place I can go to find this legislation?

I would like to be able to quote it.

Thanks

rememberdiesel.webs.com

if she wants to email me go for it. Conversely come visit Diesel while he can still stand on 4 legs. I'm sure the idiot who bred him thought his parents were 'stunning' too

Dont worry I had even bigger idiots telling me that because Diesel was so big he should go make puppies. Doesnt matter he has no hip sockets the bitch will fix that :banghead:

OMG poor Diesel, Ive shared this link on fb

Are you allowed to put up photos of his x-rays? that would have a good effect if people can actually see whats going on inside...

Because if she "studs him out" in Victoria and she has not hip and elbow scored him and tested for any hereditary conditions, she'll find herself on the wrong side of the law if ANY pup he sires has health issues. :)

Hi Poodlefan,

Thanks

You'd be best looking at Civil law and not Criminal. If you were looking for good quotes some case law references never go astray - case law databases can be very useful

Hi Poodlefan,

Thanks

Here's a code of practice for breeders made under the Vic Animal Cruelty Act

Ask her how she'd feel about being convicted of a cruelty charge for breeding without health testing. :)