Do Any Breeds Fit This Criteria?

aussielover

I also got excited 'cause OP's parents are going to England. There are some neat little slightly obscure herders around in the UK. Like English Shepherds!

SheffieldWeb.jpg

They are an all-rounder. Good companion, easy to train, but easy going and have an off switch.

What a handsome dog. Tri-colours are so attractive.

Edited by Akay

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welsh springer spaniel? They're a little bit finer boned than the Brittany Spaniel.

Mind you most of the Brittanys I've seen are very over fed around here. Must be those big brown eyes are hard to resist.

A Britt should be quite a light agile dog, definitely not heavy boned, that's a breed fault. Have a look at a Brittany puppy v a Welsh Springer Spaniel puppy, Brittany's are definitely lighter on bone (on average).

aussielover Large Munsterlanders are LARGE lol... they would rarely be under 25kgs fully grown! They are GSP sized ;)

If I read correctly and it's for your parents who live in the UK I would recommend a Kooikerhondje or Small Munsterlander. There is a well known UK breeder Tournesol Brittany's (Thier site here) and they describe a breed that is a bit different to the US Brittany type we mostly have in Australia.

I also got excited 'cause OP's parents are going to England. There are some neat little slightly obscure herders around in the UK. Like English Shepherds!

SheffieldWeb.jpg

They are an all-rounder. Good companion, easy to train, but easy going and have an off switch.

I am 99.9% sure this is an American breed, not sure how common they would be in the UK. :laugh:

Welsh springer spaniel? They're a little bit finer boned than the Brittany Spaniel.

Mind you most of the Brittanys I've seen are very over fed around here. Must be those big brown eyes are hard to resist.

A Britt should be quite a light agile dog, definitely not heavy boned, that's a breed fault. Have a look at a Brittany puppy v a Welsh Springer Spaniel puppy, Brittany's are definitely lighter on bone (on average).

aussielover Large Munsterlanders are LARGE lol... they would rarely be under 25kgs fully grown! They are GSP sized ;)

If I read correctly and it's for your parents who live in the UK I would recommend a Kooikerhondje or Small Munsterlander. There is a well known UK breeder Tournesol Brittany's (Thier site here) and they describe a breed that is a bit different to the US Brittany type we mostly have in Australia.

Do you think Brittany's would be a bit full on then?

My parents are looking for a companion only, they have no interest in dog sports or field trials etc.

The dog would be guaranteed to get plenty of exercise though!

How do english and american brittanys differ?

Never heard of an English Shepherd. Are they actually a breed?

:dropjaw: Yes, they are an actual breed! They've been around forever in various forms. They were THE farm dog in America when it was settled. So commonplace that it took quite a while for a breed standard to be developed for them. I believe it's pretty loose. Variability in ears and tail and the likes.

ETA They came from early British and Scottish herders, like Collies and so on.

Edited by corvus

I was in the UK last year and there were some really nice English Springers around. Not too much coat. Probably about the same as most Brittanys that I have seen. Quite different in appearance to the English Springers I've seen here in the show ring. Perhaps from working lines? But definitely not bonkers working dogs - the ones I met were quite calm and laid back.

They would not need a lot of grooming I don't think. And wouldn't be hard to find once they get there.

Nice, sensible, biddable dogs of medium size. I reckon they may be very close to what your parents are seeking.

Do you think Brittany's would be a bit full on then?

My parents are looking for a companion only, they have no interest in dog sports or field trials etc.

The dog would be guaranteed to get plenty of exercise though!

How do english and american brittanys differ?

Are they getting the dog here and then leaving or getting one in the UK? Any Brittany would need some kind of mental stimulation BUT American Brittany's are said to be more family friendly (if you believe what you read). However officially they are the same breed and I have not met any UK type Brittanys, only seen them at an agility trial so I cannot personally comment. :)

From American Brittany Club "He is noted for an exceptionally keen nose and a very biddable disposition. Many of the country's top dogs have been house pets as well as field winners and fine hunting dogs. The Brittany is a high energy dog who is bred to hunt. He does need lots of exercise or opportunities to hunt to keep him happy.

He has a typical friendly disposition and is very willing to please his master. He may be expected to absorb training more easily than some of the other pointing breeds, needing only a sharp scolding or slight punishment."

From the UK Brittany Club:

"The Brittany is primarily a hunting dog with character, stamina, speed, and great courage. The Brittany is a force to be reckoned with, having the urge to hunt fixed into it's temperament. It must be remembered at all times that gundogs must in general, by their very being, be a social animal without vices, not only with their human companions, but also with other dogs. It is not very often that a shooting day has only one dog present - there are many - and the dog's temperament must be such that it is a pleasure to take with you on such outings, not a pain to have to guard against unfortunate encounters with others. The Brittany loves to be loved - but it also loves to work. They need an occupation or will readily turn into a hooligan. Almost any occupation will be taken to easily - not just shooting! The H.P.R. in general needs work, whether it be actual Gun Work, Bird dog Work, Obedience, Agility, or as a well trained family pet taken out for long, free-running, jaunts with the children. "

The criteria is:

- a medium size dog: maximum size would be Mindy size (25kg lab) but preferably in the 15-20 kg range

- a wash and wear, short coat, no longer than the length of a lab (obviously shedding is not an issue lol).

- easy to train and eager to please

- friendly disposition, would prefer a more velcro type dog rather than an independent dog.

- energetic enough to do long all-day walks (up to 20 miles a day) at least several times a week but also willing to chill out at home when not walking, so not hyper all of the time.

- A strong herding instinct or high prey drive would also not be suitable.

I can only think of a Brittany at this stage- I dont really know much about them and their coat seems to be variable with some dogs having fairly short "thin" coats and some having thicker coats wit more feathering. The temperament and energy levels and size seem about right though.

Depending upon the lines, it may be at the higher end of the weight scale, but I would suggest a male smooth Collie. The bitches can tend to be a tad more independent, that being said my bitch is a velcro dog, but definitely more independent than my boy.

While they do tend to have a herding instinct, its not overly strong unless you develop it and in some its well and truely broken. Same with the prey drive, although I wouldn't say they have a high prey drive on the whole, more low to medium. Most Collies are known for being exceptional with small animals if raised with them, so the prey drive is able to be moulded.

Keep in mind the variation within the lines though. Smooths with lots of smooth to smooth matings will be shorter in coat, probably a little lighter in body, but also be a bit more full on. Smooths with some rough to smooth matings in the lines are likely to be a bit quieter in nature and have a looser coat, still short though.

It's a shock to see those Brittany dogs without tails. Wow. And ten years ago I probably would have been surprised to see them with tails - go figure.

On the criteria - I mis-read this one as they wanted not they didn't want

A strong herding instinct or high prey drive would also not be suitable

Eg

we want

- medium

- trainable

- good at endurance/long walks

- strong herding / prey drive

Oops.

that would be

- not strong herding and not prey driven.

Ie don't want it herding the neighbours sheep or digging up hedgehogs in the woods.

The sheep dogs can be trained to leave sheep alone. They have to be. Ie they have to be able to stop herding on command. A lot will happily develop other obsessions like tennis balls instead.

Terriers - most of them would probably want to dig up the hedgehogs and some would pick fights with badgers.

This is an old story about two Cavs that were trained to do endurance dog test. (20km)

http://www.caninebodyworks.com/et.htm

If there buying in England then there is a world of dogs that don't exist here.

At Crufts a breed often used in the Junior Handler finals is the Norweign Buhund ,the kids only get an hr to meet the dog or 10 mins if a swap dog & they always go like troopers & look good.

You have your field spaniel ,great Welsh springer breeders in the UK.

You have the Blue picardy or French Spaniel (easy coat )

Swedish Valhund could also suit

Mrs Rusty Bucket you beat me to it.

My Collie bitch has herding training and I can call her off stock, they learn to differentiate. She looks at my friend chickens, occasionally follows them, but for the most part ignores them. It all comes down to how they are raised and the expectations you place upon them at pups.

Even my pup who has only had a few goes on sheep I can call off both types of stock. Collies also have a very strong understanding between right and wrong as they are highly sensitive to their owners.

Its all about the bond and the respect between dog and owner.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

welsh springer, they are very much a velcro dog, not so much a wash and wear but i only brush teegan once a week and it is really only her ears and behind her legs to make sure her feathering does not matt

most of the body is very short hair

Edited by *Heidi*

What about one of the French bassets......the Fauve, the Petit or the bigger one (Grande)?

Unfortunately Im not sure these guys would fit too much grooming (more so speaking of the petits and grandes) and naughty not easily trained littler buggars!

Smooth collie or a Pointer (a small female would fit the criteria). Cardigan corgi.......might be a bit short but are apparently very, very nice dogs with great dispositions.

I think a pointer could def work but as gayle mentioned a bitch would be closer in the right weght range!

if they are in England a Pointer will not be hard to come by :laugh:

- a medium size dog: maximum size would be Mindy size (25kg lab) but preferably in the 15-20 kg range

Bitch would be closer to the right size, althou in the uk their type is alot more solidso 25kilos would be closer.

- a wash and wear, short coat, no longer than the length of a lab (obviously shedding is not an issue lol).

Wash and wear is exactly what they are, so easy!

- easy to train and eager to please

Def eager to please they love their people, as far as learning general house manners they are pretty good there are a few out there doing obedience they just arnt the sharpest tools in the shed!

- friendly disposition, would prefer a more velcro type dog rather than an independent dog.

Check and check!

- energetic enough to do long all-day walks (up to 20 miles a day) at least several times a week but also willing to chill out at home when not walking, so not hyper all of the time.

At home my dogs are lounge lizzards take them to the park, the beach, the river or the bush and they are go go go until I decide its time to go home!!!

- A strong herding instinct or high prey drive would also not be suitable.

They will hunt if allowed to but I wouldnt think it would be a huge issue?

I'd go Blue Picardy too! Lovely dog and nice size, none here :o

The kooki...sorry spelling :laugh: can be very very active as far as I have heard..make tollers look lazy :rofl:

THe norwegian buhund although a terrific and lovely dog usually needs quite a firm leader and is also very thick in the coat, like a sibe..(I have not personally met either breed, only have aquaintances who show OS and see them)

I have cuddled large musterlanders..LOVELY, and HUGE :laugh:

I think a vizsla would be perfect, short coat, gorgeous looking, very trainable, a HPR breed so SHOULD not herd, annoy, kill, etc. any stock, they do however POINT which is very handy for me as here we have snakes! so I always get a warning and when pointing my dog does not move until I give the OK, most start this at a few weeks old all on their own.

THey love to be close to you all the time including off lead walks,...my viz only needs a rubber glove rub every few weeks or more if you want, takes about 2 mins! They are very very focussed dogs and definitely the king of velcro dogs. I've had many breeds and all have loved to be with me, but a viz really is different!

Friends with pointers (lovely dogs!!) have the 'white hair ' issue :laugh: where they lose little white hairs that seem to stick to everything!!! and pointers are larger than a viz.

Viz bitches average around 23 or so inches and about 22 kgs. A male a little larger. My girl is a large girl and I've seen many much smaller than her. They can curl up into nothing!! A tight ball on my lap :eek::laugh:

They love to run but also LOVE the sofa.. ;) and as long as 'you' are there they are happy.

Edited by Monah