Showing Breeds In Different Groups?

Crazy Daisy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whippets are a table job & average weight is about 14kgs

I would suggest maybe a Papillon, group 1, table job but only weight about 2kgs

We have both breeds I find Whipps & Papps clash so we normally toss up which breed gets entered :D

When i started in juniors i started with Irish Setters & Whippets ,nearly all the kids in my era grew up handling large breeds.

I have trained juniors too & tabling can be done it really comes down to the child & how much the like to help themselves(ie some are really keen & work around it others just don't have the grunt to try ).

Also consider the dog you buy now will be the one for the next 5/7 yrs if it turns out well especially for juniors so the breed picked ideally needs to be something the child still wants to handle as they get bigger

I have three children Showdog so I was thinking if we get something small as the girls get old enough (if they want to) they can handle it as well. My youngest (who just turned three) has always been very animal orientated so she may very well be interested in showing as well. My son is a little shy of larger dogs, even my male Golden is on the large side for him, but he is confident with my Shih Tzu and Aria who is a 5 month old Golden bitch. He could always start handling a Golden as he gets older I suppose if he wanted to handle a larger breed.

I have three children Showdog so I was thinking if we get something small as the girls get old enough (if they want to) they can handle it as well. My youngest (who just turned three) has always been very animal orientated so she may very well be interested in showing as well. My son is a little shy of larger dogs, even my male Golden is on the large side for him, but he is confident with my Shih Tzu and Aria who is a 5 month old Golden bitch. He could always start handling a Golden as he gets older I suppose if he wanted to handle a larger breed.

Toy Group - English Toy Terrier?? Table Dog but small enough for the children to lift. Nice moving dog. Wash and wear (not much grooming involved).

I found it is not only the breed that may clash but also the group. I show bull terrier (miniatures) in group 2 and Dohue De Bordeaux in Group 6 way over the other side, i am usually clashing most times, not only for the breed but also for the group line up. I suggest you keep an eye on other groups and if there is a breed you like see how they go with clashing, it may take awhile but every show and every grounds are different. :)

I would have to look at the breeds clashing as English Toy Terriers are very close to G for Golden retrievers. But then again the amount of dogs per breed in each group varies too.

Nova's don't really appeal to me, sorry :o

I'm sure with a bit of research and planning we can make it work and not be too stressful.

I won't take your comments on cockers to heart :( but if the only problem with the goldies is that he can't reach the head and tail at the same time then why not teach son and dog to free stack? He can hold the head when the judge is there if need be.

Sorry, I didn't go last weekend. Chickened out thinking it would be muddy. Apparently it wasn't.

I'll be down the Gold Coast tomorrow. We are the second group on after Terriers.

Let me know if you will be there!

The kids loved all Abby's tricks today :D Thanks for letting them pat her.

I show three breeds at times. Keeshonds & Lhasas are both in Group 7 or course, but we also have Amstaffs. It works ok at breed level (unless the groups are split) as Amstaffs are first up, and the others are normally closer to lunchtime.

But if we win with the Amstaffs I often have trouble with groups clashing with breeds etc. So I dont tend to show the Amstaffs close to home, only when we go out to the smaller country shows.

Cheeky monkey she is! Lovely to see you all. Did she charm them into wanting a beagle? :D

They sure do, as long as it is already pre loaded with all the tricks like Abby :rofl:

Thanks Rysup, that's what my concern is, group clashing.

I think it's best to start him off in junior handlers which is judged at lunch until he finds a breed he is really interested in and can handle and then if we end up owning that breed we might just enter one breed per show and some weekends the Goldens can have it off.

Cheeky monkey she is! Lovely to see you all. Did she charm them into wanting a beagle? :D

They sure do, as long as it is already pre loaded with all the tricks like Abby :rofl:

Thanks Rysup, that's what my concern is, group clashing.

I think it's best to start him off in junior handlers which is judged at lunch until he finds a breed he is really interested in and can handle and then if we end up owning that breed we might just enter one breed per show and some weekends the Goldens can have it off.

That's a good plan.

Move somewhere with smaller shows! LOL

I have been known to show

Chihuahua's

Papillon's

Pug's

Cairn's

Foxy's

Stafford's

GSP's

Golden's

Pointer's

Wei's

Beagle's

Whippet's

Vallhund's (Might be a good option for a young kid)

Dobe's

Sibe's

Dal's

Move somewhere with smaller shows! LOL

I have been known to show

Chihuahua's

Papillon's

Pug's

Cairn's

Foxy's

Stafford's

GSP's

Golden's

Pointer's

Wei's

Beagle's

Whippet's

Vallhund's (Might be a good option for a young kid)

Dobe's

Sibe's

Dal's

Oh my goodness, that is a lot. :laugh:

He had a go with a friends Labrador on the weekend and did really well. She said Connor could take him in to handlers to try which was very nice. He is a very well trained and stable Lab, great for a boy who is just getting his confidence up.

He still seems very keen on a Tibbie so we might see if he can try one of those too.