Advice Needed

dogz4life

take him to dog shows

let him see alaskans and german shepherds

let him talk to the breeders

if he doesn't ask questions you ask them with him standing there

he might be persuaded then to get a pure bred

Hope he likes grooming...

Tell him he could save a lot of money by picking up the same cross from a rescue / pound.

Ive tried telling him that but he think they arent "pedigree"

A GSD x Malamute isnt pedigree either :shrug:

There will be no gauarantee when it comes to temperament, certainly no gauarantees when it comes to health checks for the parents. I doubt he'll get any beeeder support, especially if it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

If he buys from a reputable breeder he will get, a guarantee that the pup is pedigree. He can possibly view one or both parents and make sure that the temperaments are what they should be. He will be breeder support. The breeder will match the pup to their family and lifestyle. The breeder will be able to tell your brother what to expect as the puppy grows and matures.

If he is into the latest technology ask him if he would buy a phone from the two dollar shop or if he would prefer to buy one from someone who will offer the latest model from a trusted manufacturer and provide a warranty if something goes wrong. Tell him he is buying the dog version of a cheap and nasty $10 phone from the reject shop and anyone who knows dogs will think he is a loser ;)

If he is into fashion tell him he is buying the dog version BigW jogging shoes as opposed to Nike etc. Anyone who knows dogs will know he shopped 'cheap and nasty'. ;)

Tell him if he wants to impress the girls this dog will NOT be the way to do it and if he is after a tough dog to impress the boys ask him exactly who he is trying to impress and to anyone who counts it just points out the large size of his ego and the small size of his brain and self esteem. ;)

Tell him that the dog will last a darn sight longer than the phone or the shoes or even his car (and probably quite a few of his friends) so he is stupid if he doesnt put a decent effort into research and choosing a decent 'model'.

Edited by espinay2

Ask him if he is willing to fork out what can be an astronomical amount in vet bills if the dog inherits some genetic disorder from the parents. I know from reading around on DOL that some people have spent upwards of $20,000 in vet bills alone because of their dog's condition.

And I definitely agree with whoever suggested taking him to a show. There he'll be able to meet the purebreds in the flesh and in their prime, and you will be able to talk to the breeders thoroughly about the breeds. Just make sure you approach them after they've been in the ring as then they won't be in such a crazed rush preparing the dogs.

Keeping with the object analogies, buying a crossbred dog from backyard breeders is akin to buying a bomb car from a dodgy seller, without checking any of the service history, repairs history or mileage. If he thinks that's stupid (which I'm sure he would) why would he do the same thing with a dog?

Good luck.

Edited by mr.mister

He wants to buy a combination of two large and powerful breeds bred to two entirely different purposes and he'll have no idea what attributes of each breed he'll get. Recipe for disaster and I speak from experience because we had someone at work buy one and they couldn't do a damn thing with it.

How does he feel about owning a highly intelligent, prey driven, extremely powerful dog with a spitz breeds independence that will make it a real challenge to train. It might well be predisposed to pull like a train as well.

He wont' know the level of bite threshold or inhibition the dog is likely to get.

And most importantly, the kind of idiot who'd actually BREED such pups sure as hell wont' be health testing the parents. If I was looking for a recipe for a dog likely to get hip displaysia, I'd be hard pressed to do better. Structually, combining these two breeds could result in a nightmare. :(

Edited by poodlefan

Hope he likes grooming...

Tell him he could save a lot of money by picking up the same cross from a rescue / pound.

Ive tried telling him that but he think they arent "pedigree"

Well the cross breed he wants to buy aint pedigree either, regardless of how pure (or not) the parents are.

ped·i·gree

n. 1. a. A line of ancestors; a lineage.b. A list of ancestors; a family tree.2. A chart of an individual's ancestors used in human genetics to analyze Mendelian inheritance of certain traits, especially of familial diseases.3. A list of the ancestors of a purebred animal.

In short, the papers you receive for a registered purebred animal. So if "pedigree" is what he cares about then he's barking up the wrong tree ;).

Edited by SecretKei

Jesus... people aren't just buying a fancy made up breed name, they're buying a genetic lottery.

Ask family member that if person in their backyard garage bolted the front end of a Holden Commodore to the back end of a Toyota Landcruiser and called it the Australian Desert Cruiser, would he buy one of those?? He's considering forking out for the canine equivalent.

Edited by poodlefan

We have one at obedience and it's called a Shilo Shepherd??? :confused::confused:

Not sure but I think all this crap started in USA and they are popular over there...of course. :(

Everyone has great suggestions. Good luck.