Deceased Pets

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to get her back, sorry Miss B.

Bodies of deceased pets that aren't cremated are buried in a specific area set aside for medical waste.

I can understand your regret but you shouldn't. Once your dog had passed away, she was gone and it was just her body that was left. All that she knew was the awesome time she had with you during her life. :)

Guest lavendergirl

Not a strange question and I am sure that lots of people have the same regret. The decision is made at a very stressful time and it is something that we all should think about ahead of the inevitable time. Miss B maybe you could set up some little memorial for her in the garden - perhaps bury a collar or favourite toy and a small engraved stone in remembrance??

From my understanding (here in NSW) when a pet dies and you ask the vet to take care of it, the pet is sent off to be cremated. I remember being asked (when my first died back in 07) whether I wanted the dog to be cremated publicly or privately.

Privately is when they are sent off to pets at peace (or the like) to be cremated and sent back to you, wheras publicly, they go to be cremated with a heap of other pets and you don't get their ashes back.

I have had all 5 of mine done privately through pets at peace.

At the RSPCA, Yagoona, they used to cremate them in the furnace, then bury their ashes in huge holes, like landfill. :( Not sure how it works there now though, this was nearly 20 yrs ago I am talking.

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to get her back, sorry Miss B.

Bodies of deceased pets that aren't cremated are buried in a specific area set aside for medical waste.

I can understand your regret but you shouldn't. Once your dog had passed away, she was gone and it was just her body that was left. All that she knew was the awesome time she had with you during her life. :)

Thank you stormie this made me cry happy tears :cry:

I knew it was a long shot I've just been beating myself up over it the last couple of days. Even having dreams about it :crazy:

lavendergirl that's a great idea, I feel I have to do something for her :)

From my understanding (here in NSW) when a pet dies and you ask the vet to take care of it, the pet is sent off to be cremated. I remember being asked (when my first died back in 07) whether I wanted the dog to be cremated publicly or privately.

Privately is when they are sent off to pets at peace (or the like) to be cremated and sent back to you, wheras publicly, they go to be cremated with a heap of other pets and you don't get their ashes back.

At the RSPCA, Yagoona, they used to cremate them in the furnace, then bury their ashes in huge holes, like landfill. :( Not sure how it works there now though, this was nearly 20 yrs ago I am talking.

At the time I really wish the vet had suggested cremation, he probably did. But I just couldn't deal with it anymore.

A lesson learned. And to anyone reading think about it before anything happens.

Edited by Miss BeRidgierent

All Vets do different things. When I worked in Fairfield in Sydney, the animals were collected by Council.

When I worked for a Vet at Chipping Norton, we stored them in a freezer before taking them over regularly to the RSPCA's furncae at Yagoona.

When I worked for a Vet in Liverpool, we took them to the local tip, and they were not placed in any specific medical waste area.

When I worked at a vet the council also collected them and disposed of them with the dogs that were euthanased in the pound. Clients had the option to pay $50 to have them cremated and there used to be a big bucket of burnt bones out the back and would scoop some out and put them in a urn with a memorial plate for the animal. Wasnt the persons animal however that was put in the urn :(

ETA this was in a small country town where there were actually no crematoriums close by. Closest cremortorium was over an hour away so not easy to get a pet privately cremated

Edited by atua

Miss BeRigierent, I remember your posts from when you lost Bella and how sudden and what a shock it all was. :(

Don't forget that it is memories, the love, the time you shared together, the spirit of who she was and who you both were together that is the most important not the package that she came in.

A lesson learned. And to anyone reading think about it before anything happens.

I know when our rottie started getting towards the end I looked into our options and I decided I wanted a cremation (with the view of sprinkling his ashes). We had buried previous dogs but I couldn't imagine burying him (and I was worried the other dog would dig him up if I buried him in the yard).

Eventually when the time came (thankfully 3 to 4 years later) I was able to ring the funeral place after I made the vet appointment and they collected him from home - it all went smoothly. It was a last minute decision but we decided to get a display case and this now sits in our lounge room - rather then spreading the ashes.

I do have the little voice in my head that keeps asking if I can be sure they are his ashes ... but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as he is firmly in my heart.

Unfortunately this isn't how it works anymore. I believe many years ago, it wasn't uncommon for Vet clinics to have their own furnace but it's not that common anymore, though perhaps some of the larger facilities or shelters still might?

I'm not sure it's legal to dump the bodies in the general waste area of the tip? I am sure there are Environmental and Protections Agency regulations regarding this?

Unfortunately this isn't how it works anymore. I believe many years ago, it wasn't uncommon for Vet clinics to have their own furnace but it's not that common anymore, though perhaps some of the larger facilities or shelters still might?

I'm not sure it's legal to dump the bodies in the general waste area of the tip? I am sure there are Environmental and Protections Agency regulations regarding this?

That's what my sister told me when I was upset because my parents wouldn't let me bury my beloved Poppy in their beachhouse backyard. Instead we planted a rosemary bush that is absolutely thriving even having been moved recently. That rosemary bush brings back happy memories to me of my gorgeous girl.

That's what my sister told me when I was upset because my parents wouldn't let me bury my beloved Poppy in their beachhouse backyard. Instead we planted a rosemary bush that is absolutely thriving even having been moved recently. That rosemary bush brings back happy memories to me of my gorgeous girl.

Yeah, my understanding is that technically you're not meant to bury your pets either.

I think planting a tree or plant is a really lovely idea.

I have had all of mine who have died recently cremated, as we ran out of room in our backyard, where we could dig down deep enough, especially for a large sized dog . For tiny kittens I can still manage to find a spot. I do sometimes wonder what the next owner of our home will think if they dig up the backyard!!!

However, a lot of people cannot afford the cost of private cremation, so it must be sad for them that they have no other option.

I have been told that the bodies of pets from vets, in metropolitan Sydney, are taken to a special area at the tip, not in general waste area.

If you do have them cremated and and dont want the ashes inside the house.You could put them in a pot plant[ still in the container of course] and if you move take the pot plant with you.

I have had friends like OP that regretted the decision later that they didnt either bring the body home for burial or have the pet privatly cremated, and wanted to get the body back. It tormented them for quite a while.Which does not help the grieving process, as it is just something else to make it harder to come to terms with the loss of a much loved pet.

We left Bensons body to be dealt with by the vet, it's something I've thought about since......should I have had him cremated, should we have brought him home and buried him? But we were with him when he was sent on his way, he was under anaesthetic at the time and while he was living I felt his presence in his body and after he was gone, I felt that he was no longer there. His body was just a shell.

I have since felt that he is with me (I am not really spiritual and I don't know how to explain this at all) and I'm at peace with my decision. I feel the vet would have been respectful of his remains, she was extremely sensitive in the way she handled his illness and death and while I'm still devestated beyond anything I could ever imagine (and yes, I cry daily for my boy), I don't regret that particular decision.

I am very glad though, that I am a good photographer and have some excellent camera gear because I have thousands of really nice photos of him and I will treasure them for the rest of my life. And it's now prompted a friend of mine to request that I do a photoshoot of her and her dogs, because we never know what the immediate future holds.

I had Brock cremated and then buried his ashes out in the paddock were he loved to play. It seemed like a good place for him. I had Fern cremated too but haven't been able to bring myself to bury her like I intended. I think she would have wanted to stay close to me so I'll find a nice box or something.