Deceased Pets

Re photos. I just lost Miss Molly, my old moggy. She was my mum's and it occurred to me today that I would have loved a photo of mum and Molly together, but I don't have any. I then realised that even though she has been with me for the last 12 years, and I have loads of photos of her, I also have none of me with her. :(

Remember to take photos of both you and your pet together!

When I lost my beloved Sophie, she was privately cremated. I'm sure she had a private cremation because the cremation people called to tell me they had the titanium plates and screws that were in Sophie's knees from her ligament surgery. They asked if I wanted them returned with her ashes. They had no prior knowledge of the plates in her knees.

Her ashes rest on a small table in my bedroom beside my lovely rescue girl Faith's ashes. I have the ashes of all my dogs. I can't bring myself to scatter them.

I can understand your regret but you shouldn't. Once your dog had passed away, she was gone and it was just her body that was left. All that she knew was the awesome time she had with you during her life.

This is what I believe. When our old family dog died my parents were staying with my aunt as they were moving interstate the following week (bringing the old girl with them). The family home had been sold 2 months before and my dad even thought about sneaking in and burying her there LOL (it was a big block). Instead he had the vet at Murdoch give our beautiful girl her wings on a nice grassy area outside the vet and I believe she truely ran free there and then - after that what remained was her body, that was old and riddled with cancer - it was best she leave that behind.

For the two dogs I had cremated, I used a pet cremation service. The first the vet arranged and I fretted about that for ages because I didn't arrange it. The second one I arranged and although I had to go to work, my Mum's description of how the fellow picked up my dog very gently and respectfully made me feel better about the first.

I think that when a pet's spirit leaves their body and goes on to the next existance, we need not worry about them leaving their body behind. They no longer require it.

Nearly 4 weeks ago I lost my old girl Sally, 3 months short of 17 years. She was privately cremated by Paws for Pets (in Victor Harbor, SA) and her ashes now sit on my bedside table. But it's ME who needs her to be nearby...

For those that didn't make a choice in the past which they are now comfortable with, remember that you loved your pet during his or her earthly existance and that's what counts - their body is no longer necessary and would have returned to the Earth wherever it was eventually anyway.

Hugs to all who have lost, recently or in the distant past.

Sonia xx

I've lost so many dogs over the last 5 years, sometimes 3 a year. I adopt old dogs and it's heartbreaking to lose them but they still have so much to give.

As a rescuer, it is hard to justify spending the money on their ashes, I go and rescue a dog in their memory for that's what they'd have wanted, being rescued dogs themselves or from cruel homes with owners who wanted them gone.

I do have 3 sets of ashes but generally I console myself with my spiritual beliefs, that they will always be with me and I will see them again, when I pass. Any ashes I have will be mixed with my own and scattered.

I will often plant a bush that is in flower at the time of their passing and will think of them when I see the flowers.

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to get her back, sorry Miss B.

Bodies of deceased pets that aren't cremated are buried in a specific area set aside for medical waste.

I can understand your regret but you shouldn't. Once your dog had passed away, she was gone and it was just her body that was left. All that she knew was the awesome time she had with you during her life. :)

This

The important thing is your memories of her - she lives on through them. I loved my Niki-bear more than anything but, when he died, I knew his body wasn't HIM - he is still with me in my thoughts, and that's what is important to me.

Edited by poodlemum

When my horse had to be PTS at the equine vet, I was left with a huge bill and could not afford to have him 'disposed' of in anyway but through the vet. Even that cost a fair bit if I remember correctly.

I was devestated at him being in landfill and it was something that upset me for a long time. I ended up purchasing a rose bush called quite appropriately 'Warrior'. It is planted in a lovely pot, the same colour as his show colours and it is my way of having a part of him with me. Perhaps doing something similar may help you?

Sorry about the loss of your girl :(

Edited by cmkelpie

This thread makes me sad because I have often thought back to my old family dog Kitt. He was old and one winter, got sick. I was working in Sydney at the time, when I heard he was sick, I flew back to Canberra the next day. I got back at 9.30am and my father met me at the airport and told me that I was too late, the vet had phoned and that Kitt had died just earlier that morning. I was so upset. I went to the vet's where Kitt's body was still lying there and he looked like he was asleep but he was cold to the touch. I felt so guilty/upset that he had died alone that when the vet asked if I wanted him to take care of things, I said yes - not really thinking things through. After that I regretted it - wished I had asked for Kitt to be cremated so that I could bury him. I was so sad to find out that what how the bodies are disposed of. I was even more upset when I got the bill and there was a 'euthanasia' charge on it, given that they had told me that Kit had died naturally. It was such a long time ago but I still cry when I think about the whole time, but as others have pointed out - the 'spirit' of the dog we loved is gone and the best 'memorials' are the happy memories we keep with us - right down the kooky flying nun ears, snoring and goofy ways.

You're not going to like this but...

In the ACT, they go to one of the major landfills.

My vet here in Queanbeyan told me that the vets and pounds are no longer taking them to landfill they are all going out to Mitchell to the furnaces and are all put in together and then the remains are recycled.

The tip is running out of land this is why they started to recycle. It is also environemental friendly as opposed to how they used to do it.

Before I joined DOL I didnt realise what happened to our loved animals at the Vets

I have read some threads years ago asking of what happens

I decided with my OH when the time came for our dogs to have them cremated

at first when Sam passed away 2 weeks before Christmas

I was happy to have him cremated and bought back home

but I am finding it very hard to look at his Urn / Box :(

I am missing him so much lately , I almost feel him around me and around the house , I cant move his bedding or put away his coats

Maybe as at the time he passed away mum found out she had breast cancer and had her op and then dad passed away few months later

I dont feel as though I have greived for him properly and still cry buckets at him not here :(

Before I joined DOL I didnt realise what happened to our loved animals at the Vets

I have read some threads years ago asking of what happens

I decided with my OH when the time came for our dogs to have them cremated

at first when Sam passed away 2 weeks before Christmas

I was happy to have him cremated and bought back home

but I am finding it very hard to look at his Urn / Box :(

I am missing him so much lately , I almost feel him around me and around the house , I cant move his bedding or put away his coats

Maybe as at the time he passed away mum found out she had breast cancer and had her op and then dad passed away few months later

I dont feel as though I have greived for him properly and still cry buckets at him not here :(

Edited by Purdie

I know this both from having dogs of my own PTS, and from having, in several years running a boarding kennel, had to deal with a few dogs who faced their last days while boarding.

It's hard. When someone comes into a kennel with an oldie who is tottering and books for a long stay, you really should ask them what happens in the case of a serious health problem. How much do they want to pay for emergency treatment, should there be organ failure (or whatever)? Do they want the cheaper form of cremation, or a private cremation, for an additional $100 or so, where they get their own dog's ashes back. People don't like to deal with these questions when they come into a kennel. So it often gets glossed over. I'm sure it's the same at the vets.

Should there be standard forms, eg., an addendum to the stuff vets put in to make sure you pay your bill asking what sort of burial/cremation you want and are willing to pay for, should the pet not make it through? I don't know. Maybe it would be good for us to get desensitized early by seeing this in writing . . . and to be forced to make up our minds when we aren't grief-struck. But then, there's already too much paperwork in this world.

From my understanding (here in NSW) when a pet dies and you ask the vet to take care of it, the pet is sent off to be cremated. I remember being asked (when my first died back in 07) whether I wanted the dog to be cremated publicly or privately.

Privately is when they are sent off to pets at peace (or the like) to be cremated and sent back to you, wheras publicly, they go to be cremated with a heap of other pets and you don't get their ashes back.

I have had all 5 of mine done privately through pets at peace.

At the RSPCA, Yagoona, they used to cremate them in the furnace, then bury their ashes in huge holes, like landfill. :( Not sure how it works there now though, this was nearly 20 yrs ago I am talking.

Unfortunately this isn't how it works anymore. I believe many years ago, it wasn't uncommon for Vet clinics to have their own furnace but it's not that common anymore, though perhaps some of the larger facilities or shelters still might?

I'm not sure it's legal to dump the bodies in the general waste area of the tip? I am sure there are Environmental and Protections Agency regulations regarding this?

Hi Stormie,

When I said they can be done publicly or privately, I didn't mean cremated at the veterinary surgery. I meant the one's that are done privately are picked up through pets at peace (or whichever company is doing it) and taken off somewhere to be cremated. I lost my my Claude in 07. He was the first I had cremated. :(

I am not sure where they are done when they are done publicly.

I have never heard of them dumping the bodies in the general waste area of the tip??

I imagine it would be illegal for the reasons you mentioned, not to mention disrespectful. :(

The RSPCA used to (20 yrs back) bury the ashes from the furnace in holes, which were dug on site at the Yagoona branch. I am not even sure if they still have those furnaces, but I imagine so.

Edited by k9angel