Advantix

ludwig09

Hello. So we got back from our walk this morning and were doing our routine tick check and we found one on my boys front leg. I removed it head and all. He seems fine. So is it ok just to monitor him or should we be doing something more???? Like i said he is acting very normal.

Thanks

Hello!

We have just moved to an area of Australia which has a lot of ticks. I have previously been applying advantix to my dogs once a month but have just read the box and it says it only protects against paralysis ticks for 2 weeks. Just wondering what others do? Should i change to every 2 weeks? Also does anyone know of anything extra i can do to prevent them. I do check them everyday but was wondering if there is some natural remedies as well i could use to compliment the advantix?

Cheers

Edited by ludwig09

Hello!

We have just moved to an area of Australia which has a lot of ticks. I have previously been applying advantix to my dogs once a month but have just read the box and it says it only protects against paralysis ticks for 2 weeks. Just wondering what others do? Should i change to every 2 weeks? Also does anyone know of anything extra i can do to prevent them. I do check them everyday but was wondering if there is some natural remedies as well i could use to compliment the advantix?

Cheers

We are in a tick area in NSW. During the cooler months our dogs get Advantix fortnightly & from about October till March I give Proban tablets every two nights. I buy the largest Advantix & split it up & apply it with a small syringe you can buy at the chemist. Unfortunately, supplies of Proban will start to dry up as they are no longer stocking it in Australia, due to a problem with getting hold of one of the ingredients. :( Neither of the above methods actually repell the ticks & stop them getting bitten, they just kill the tick while still small. When the ticks get really bad, I will sometimes use Permoxin as well as Proban as it is better at repelling them.

I apply Advantix fortnightly. Every three weeks in winter. If we go away camping I will also put an Preventic Tick collar on ours as well.You can't let the collar get wet though.

Very interested in Sheena comments though. I have never heard of Proban or Permoxin. Would like to know more about either product. You can never be to careful with retched ticks.

I check my 2 furry kids everyday, touch wood, so far so good. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

i use advantix monthly and in tick season add a tick collar to the mix :shrug: no ticks so far... and i check each dog in their daily pats :D

bc crazy i wouldnt go the proban route, i have heard it can cause kidney failure...not sure if its true or not, but i'd rather not go that way, i think what you are doing is the best method

Edited by dandybrush

I apply Advantix fortnightly. Every three weeks in winter. If we go away camping I will also put an Preventic Tick collar on ours as well.You can't let the collar get wet though.

Very interested in Sheena comments though. I have never heard of Proban or Permoxin. Would like to know more about either product. You can never be to careful with retched ticks.

I check my 2 furry kids everyday, touch wood, so far so good. :)

I have also heard the report about Proban, so that's why I give it a rest over winter. It "might" & its not proven, shorten the dogs life, but so will just one tick left undiscovered by the daily search, especially if it is in an area like, up nose, in bum, inside ear...places we can't get to. Unfortunately, I don't have any better choice as my dogs are in swimming every day & the Advantix doesn't seem to work in that situation. Permoxin is a rinse, same ingredients as Advantix, which you make up with water & apply all over. It's not waterproof either :( I am not looking forward to this years tick season, as I now have two border collies to worry about :(

Thanks for the "heads up" dandybrush regarding the Proban. ;) Hope Willow is all good to go now :D

Also thanks Sheena regarding the info about both Proban & Permoxin. I had never heard of either product. My 2 swim everyday so the Permoxin

wouldn't suit us. Not sure I am keen to try the Proban either with the risk of any side effects. I am paranoid about ticks, they do my head in

worrying about the retched things. :(

i use advantix monthly and in tick season add a tick collar to the mix :shrug: no ticks so far... and i check each dog in their daily pats :D

bc crazy i wouldnt go the proban route, i have heard it can cause kidney failure...not sure if its true or not, but i'd rather not go that way, i think what you are doing is the best method

We blood test our dogs every 6 or 12 months - by process of elimination we found that our boy has a reaction to proban so he is on advantix. The girls are both on proban and show no signs of problems.

I can't use tick collars as the gdogs favourite game is to steal them off each other. :eek:

Caution on advantix - it is absolutely deadly to cats.

It always pays to ask around other dog owners and local Vets etc to find what products are found to be effective for your area.

Fidos Rinse every 3 days is another option too.

Proban is now out of manufacture so after current shelf stocks run out that is the end of that.

I usually buy the big-dog packets of Advantix and decant 1ml from the vials with a 1ml syringe and the dogs get it every 3 weeks in the winter and every 2 weeks form the beginning of August until late Autumn.

I picked a medium paralysis tick off Penny's eyebrow a couple of weeks ago, her eyebrow had swollen and was sore...the tick was dead.

Mac barked at next door's out-of-it's-yard-again dog yesterday...he sounded as though he was getting laryngitis and then he fell up the steps...we checked him and he had a BIG paralysis tick just back from his nose...it was also dead

It appears the Advantix does work but perhaps it takes a day or two to do its tick-killin' so a daily check is a good idea.

Mac is fine today, no walks for him for a couple of days though.

Hello!

Edited by ludwig09

Has anyone experimented with meds used on cattle for tick prevention? eg fluazuron? http://www.ah.novart...ak_cattle.shtml

or Mitaban (seems to be prescription only for dogs. . . amitraz is active ingredient . . . widely used for cattle . . .applied as a drench . . . also used for mange mites)

Edited by sandgrubber