Low Protein Diet

bustam

After numerous blood tests, ultrasounds etc we've been advised to start our 9yo boy on a low protein diet asap. Apparantly his liver is running at 30% capacity as his enzyme levels were 3 times the normal rate. We are waiting on the medication he apparantly needs to be put on daily, and have just started tonight looking around for the'low protein' foods/diet he needs to go in conjunction with..

would appreciate if anyone else has had similar situations, or rec on certain foods etc.

Im just so relieved there were no tumours, as i was fearing the worst with the big C word...

Until the vet gets back to you I guess you could just stick with lower protein meats like chicken and fish

When the vet let's you know what levels of protein your dog should be having it might pay to contact an holistic vet to help design a suitable diet

ok thanks for that, i just had no idea what to feed him in the meantime.. its still a bit strange though, as his diet was mainly chicken necks, fish & dryfood anyways..

but holistic sounds like a great idea too thanks for that

No not exactly. We first took him in on 'mothers intuition' that something wasn't right. he's always been a hard dog to keep the weight on, and all of a sudden over the last week or two he looked like a 'keg on legs'. so they ran the blood tests, which the results came back saying everything was normal/ok levels, except for the liver. one of the liver tests he said a 'normal' score was around 100, and his was up around 280.. (sorry im not using correct terms but I was fearing the worst at the time) so they then booked him in for ultrasound. Ultrasound showed the liver was enlarged, but no signs of tumour/s. kidneys, stomach, intestines were all fine..

hopefully the next phone call will explain things better to me, and i will be asking for an exact name of whatever this condition is!

Hills and Royal Canin both make a vet only food, in Hills its the L/d and Royal Canin is the Hepatic LS.

Dont use ANY diets off the internet and get onto your vet about a proper diet. If they are not sure get a second opinion ASAP. Diets and things like liver, kidney, IBS etc are nto something to be done from the net and particularly without supervision.

ETA the value that you got what exactly was it for?

Edited by Nekhbet

Bustam - I feel for you - my boy was diagnosed with liver failure back in April. He went from being a guts to not eating anything at all overnight, hence I knew he was really really unwell. Blood tests showed his liver enzymes were screwed BIGTIME, cholesterol was through the roof and his bilirubin was very high. The local vet recommended that he go on a low protein diet - Hills - so I brought 5 cans and went home to give it a go and the dog wouldn't touch it. The vet suggested I mix vegemite with it and he still wouldn't touch it. Scoota lost 1kg in a week and it became a case of finding something, anything that he would eat. The only thing he would touch was chicken necks and he lived on those for 3 weeks.

He is still on a realatively low protein diet - no red meat, with fish and chicken being his main source of protein.

I suggest you ask your vet, in combination with whatever medication they give you, about milk thistle and SAMe

Good luck.....

Hills and Royal Canin both make a vet only food, in Hills its the L/d and Royal Canin is the Hepatic LS.

Dont use ANY diets off the internet and get onto your vet about a proper diet. If they are not sure get a second opinion ASAP. Diets and things like liver, kidney, IBS etc are nto something to be done from the net and particularly without supervision.

ETA the value that you got what exactly was it for?

The Royal Canin isn't available in Australia.

Although I like the way they still say on the Australian site :

For dogs under treatment, we have developed a range of dietary foods which takes into account the risks associated to the dog's main pathology (renal insufficiency, food intolerances, oral hygiene, digestive, hepatic, or urinary disorders, joint mobility, obesity, recovery…).

:laugh: ahhh too confusing

Although I like the way they still say on the Australian site :

For dogs under treatment, we have developed a range of dietary foods which takes into account the risks associated to the dog's main pathology (renal insufficiency, food intolerances, oral hygiene, digestive, hepatic, or urinary disorders, joint mobility, obesity, recovery…).

:laugh: ahhh too confusing

I may have got a bit grumpy with them this week about it. They told me to feed Hills.

I was a bit shitty about the Hills as it has the world's most crap ingredients. I couldn't work out why I am paying so much to basically feed corn. However I now understand that Amber can't currently have any meat products and has to be a veggo. Her damaged liver can't process the meat at all.

The difference in her in a couple of days on the Hills is amazing. She has also gone from looking like she hated meal times to bashing the door down and barking at me to hurry up.