The Only Staffordshire Terrier Is An English One

sumosmum

RSPCA renames potentially dangerous dog breeds

THE RSPCA is adopting out potentially dangerous cross-bred dogs under friendlier names.

Animal welfare sources have told of up to 11 dogs up for adoption on the RSPCA website labelled "Staffordshire Terrier Cross" that display strong pit bull characteristics.

RSPCA Victoria president Hugh Wirth admitted the issue of classifying mix-breed animals under unrestricted dog types had been of concern to the organisation for a while.

Despite employing vets to weed out the dangerous breeds, pit bulls were difficult to identify without DNA testing, Mr Wirth said.

The admissions came after an unregistered pit bull cross mauled and killed four-year-old Ayen Chol in St Albans this month.

"There is only one type of Staffordshire terrier and that is an English one," Dr Wirth said.

"They may look like a pit bull but you can't be sure."

Mixed breeds are not currently restricted under Victorian law.

Dog owners and breeders are fuelling the problem, often registering dogs with their local council as an unrestricted breed.

In the City of Greater Dandenong only three pit bulls are registered, yet there are 70 American Staffordshire terriers within the city.

One dog flagged by industry experts as a pit bull cross on the RSPCA adoption website was two-year-old Florence labelled as a Staffordshire Terrier cross that was recommended to a home without young children or other animals.

Lost Dogs Home managing director Graeme Smith said the practice was not rife but it needed to be looked at.

"We are seeing pit bull terrier types becoming prevalent in shelters so it is tricky, but we recognise what a pit bull terrier is and we are not going to change the name and sell it to somebody."

"There is only one type of Staffordshire terrier and that is an English one," Dr Wirth said.

"They may look like a pit bull but you can't be sure."

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Sorry to laugh but this guy is such a tool. Pitbulls are a menace, he said, but he now admits he cant ID one. Good one, Hugh.

NO offence to vets (I'm a student myself) but what use are they going to be in identifying dog breeds?

I personally I think I know purereds quite well, but when it comes to guessing crosses- my guess is a good as the next...

Their expertise is in treating illness and injury of animals not identifying breeds.

I've even had my purebred labrador identified as other breeds or as a crossbred by vets and vet students.

None of the vets I ever went to with my aussie shep even knew they were a breed!!!

Shouldn't they be focussing on temperament and health to decide which dogs are adoptable?

hmm wouldn't that be staffordshire bull terrier? as far as history is concerned staffordshire terrier was what the APBT was called when first recognised and registered with the AKC, then later adopted a name change to add American in front to distinguish from the SBT when SBT was recognised by the AKC in the 70's, and still known world wide as a staffy.

History as it was written and indisputable, by any in the breed. Heck it's even in the ankc breed standard extention.

Wirth's a dick born and bred. And a know all f*** all.

Nothing to add but a rolly eyes :grimace: now where did I park that emote yet again. Can't be bothered.

hmm wouldn't that be staffordshire bull terrier? as far as history is concerned staffordshire terrier was what the APBT was called when first recognised and registered with the AKC, then later adopted a name change to add American in front to distinguish from the SBT when SBT was recognised by the AKC in the 70's, and still known world wide as a staffy.

Huh, uh and the Amstaff has NEVER been recognised in Australia as the Staffordshire Terrier (the AKC name was changed a good while before the breed was recognised by the ANKC) so Mr Worthless remains an idiot :laugh:

Yes but Staffordshiire terrier remains the name, do you think Americans call american? Not on any boards I've seen, yes wirthless idiots aboard.

I hope they dig themselves into oblivion actually. can't wait to see what the feds say lol.

Yes but Staffordshiire terrier remains the name, do you think Americans call american? Not on any boards I've seen, yes wirthless idiots aboard.

I hope they dig themselves into oblivion actually. can't wait to see what the feds say lol.

The Americans I know with Amstaffs call them Staffys and SBTs Staffybulls. (Does my head in)

If asked the full name they call them American Staffordshire Terriers.

D'ya think we can blame worthless on the Americans and tell them to take him back? :rofl:

I don't know man. I think wirthless belongs in the Salem which hunt times, seems to be where his brain matter resides circa 17c. funny to note he is trotting out some deed not breed script, might it have to do they lost a huge support to RSPCA over his stupid comments, before? me thinks so.

NO offence to vets (I'm a student myself) but what use are they going to be in identifying dog breeds?

I personally I think I know purereds quite well, but when it comes to guessing crosses- my guess is a good as the next...

Their expertise is in treating illness and injury of animals not identifying breeds.

I've even had my purebred labrador identified as other breeds or as a crossbred by vets and vet students.

None of the vets I ever went to with my aussie shep even knew they were a breed!!!

Shouldn't they be focussing on temperament and health to decide which dogs are adoptable?

Well after a paper using a thumbnail image of a Dogue de Bordeaux head (to illustrate a pitbull) and a vet telling me my Bordeaux shouldn't be undershot - I have little faith in anyone identifying a pitbull.

Well after a paper using a thumbnail image of a Dogue de Bordeaux head (to illustrate a pitbull) and a vet telling me my Bordeaux shouldn't be undershot - I have little faith in anyone identifying a pitbull.

The vets thought my amstaff was a SBTx kelpie or something :banghead: Just because of her ears!