Pet Census (by Petplan Insurance)

TerraNik

I got an email from Petplan Insurance over the weekend. They are sponsoring the "first comprehensive Pet Census survey" in Australia.

"Pet Census 2011 has been launched to follow on from the 2011 Australian Bureau of Statistics Census, which only collects data on humans. We feel that pets are such valuable and important members of society that they should be counted. That is why we are calling on all Pet Owners to complete the Pet Census 2011 Survey so to evaluate what it is like to be a pet owner in Australia today. Incorporating information on health, finance, social and family, the Pet Census 2011 is the first port of call for all you need to know about the relationship between human and animals.

The Pet Census 2011 survey will be available for pet owners to complete via the following website, http://www.petcensus.com.au/ from 1st September 2011 through until the 1st of November. We estimate that it will take you approximately 15 minutes to complete the survey.

All we ask is that you pass on the information about Pet Census 2011 to all your family members, friends or anyone whom you feel will be interested. Results of the Census will be sent to anyone who has indicated at the end of survey that they wish to receive results.

Survey responses will be completely confidential as the Census is not collecting any personal details. Any information collected will not be used for any commercial purposes. Results of the survey will be reported in a summary format, so there is no way anyone can be linked to their responses."

Seemed a bit of a pointless survey, to me. There were no allowances made if you had more than one dog - despite them asking how many you had. Eg, you could only select "desexed" or "not desexed" - I have 2 who are, and 2 who aren't. So my answers weren't correct...ergo, pointless survey.

ETA: typo

Edited by Faolmor

I started doing it but I agree with the statements about not enough scope with the questions to make if a valid census so I didn't bother completing it.

It was working for me again this morning so I filled it out. It was pretty crap. Not very comprehensive at all. There were so many other really important questions that needed to have been asked for it to get any real insight into dog ownership. Also agreed that the fact that it asks you how many cats and dogs you have and then only lets you answer for one of them was pretty pointless.

In the back of my mind I was wondering what the ulterior motive was and felt that some of the questions were very

misleading or calculated to get an answer of a specific nature.

But I might be a bit paranoid.

I'm so glad someone else mentioned this. When I got the email, alarm bells immediately rang for me. Not filling this one out that's for sure.

In the back of my mind I was wondering what the ulterior motive was and felt that some of the questions were very

misleading or calculated to get an answer of a specific nature.

But I might be a bit paranoid.

I'm so glad someone else mentioned this. When I got the email, alarm bells immediately rang for me. Not filling this one out that's for sure.

They don't ask for your name or address. The focus isn't on health anyway.