Blame The Owners Not The Dogs

RottnBullies

post-8173-0-30649600-1315219713_thumb.jpg

I don't have a link but It's readable by clicking on the pic

A delightful client who owned a beautiful pit bull a gentle, loving, balanced and calm dog presented him for euthanasia, as enforced by the council. He was truly a pleasure to have as a patient and a gentleman until his last heartbeat. He licked the tears from my face as I was killing him by lethal Injection. The whole family mum, dad and kids and I were torn apart by this senseless killing.

:cry: :cry:

I'd like to see that article reprinted on the front page of every newspaper in the country, starting with Victoria.

:thumbsup: so agree.

So how do we do It, It certainly would make a big Impact :)

And It will certainly put the media as a whole to the test

Maybe each of us should call our local papers in the next few days asking they print this article. If so, we buy the paper that day or visit their online sponsors. If 40 of us DOLer's did that with one newspaper, others would soon take notice - Heck with the 2000 odd people on the various Facebook anti-BSL sites at the moment.. that's A LOT of hits for their advertisers. And ultimately that's what drives the headlines.

Even if a few of us called this newspapers, asking them to put the article online, they would if enough of us asked. Then we link it to Facebook/Twitter. Whoosh, it will grab other media outlets attention.

OH SO TRUE "BLAME THE OWNERS, NOT THE DOG"

There are ppl out there who have the image of tough guy, gotta have tough dog. that is what makes it BLOODY HARD for the breeds & breeders who do the absolute right thing by the breed, ANKC, their local councils.

Being a owner of a no of Rotties over the years I feel for you guys :( :( :( being targeted

Sad story, and a good article, the Vet in question is correct, it is largely the Bogan element who have no idea, or worse actively encourage bad dog behaviour that are the issue.

BUT...

I have to tell you all the story of a Pitt Bull X in my own family, and how sometimes it *IS* the dog not the owner...

My brother who is the most responsible person I know (literally) and a loving family man with at that time two young sons purchased a beautiful tan young dog from the RSPCA as a Boxer X (but it became apparent later that he was a pitt bull x Staffy) and set about raising this dog properly including socializing with people and other dogs... or rather trying to... he was a super aggressive dog from day 1, whilst he was fine with my brother adored him in fact, and tolerated his wife and the kids he absolutely hated everyone else, and other dogs were seriously in danger, it wasn't long before it became apparent that he had to wear a muzzle at all times he was out of the house due to his inherent aggressive nature and want to attack anything unknown.

He was also incredibly destructive, and once when he was on a very short car trip to the dog park totally flipped out and ripped the back of the station wagon apart completely in a frenzied attack that was apparently terrifying to the kids in the back seat. He also went after another dog one day, getting away from my SIL and in the process got hit by a car which was traumatic, but they paid the $4000 for the Vet to fix him up and he recovered well physically. He had obedience training, and every attempt was made to calm this dog down and make him a loving and loved family pet.

Without a doubt the scariest dog I have ever met, and we were raised in a household with Dobermans and the occasional German Shepard, so we are all well used to big powerful dogs and I personally have never had a problem with a dog until this one, he was truly terrifying, if you came to their house he would have to be locked outside and he would then literally try to smash the glass doors to get in, full on attack mode the instant he saw anyone who was not in his household, regardless if they were another family member or a small child etc.

This was obviously not sustainable in a normal very middle class household with lots of kids coming and going and finally after about 3 years they had to have him put down he was just too vicious and too uncontrollable for a family pet. Sure you could argue he could have had further training - but the reality is he was always going to be an unstable animal and could never be trusted around people or other animals, this was not a decision taking lightly, and it broke my brother's heart as he did love that dog - but he was never going to be a family pet.. I just am thankful he never had the opportunity to actually get out and attack someone or thing, as there is no doubt he would have if he could have. He could easily have killed a small child or in fact anyone.

Sometimes it just *IS* the dog.

I now live in a very bogan area (god was that an eye opener for a North Shore girl with a left leaning!) and just about every dog here is a Staffy/Pitty X never de-sexed and you see these morons all the time encouraging bad dog behaviour and thinking they are he men for owning some big vicious anti social animal - argh!

I saw one the other day with a Staffy/Pitty x puppy and the dog was attacking the toddler's tricycle as they walked along, instead of instantly stopping this incredibly dangerous bad behaviour, they were pissing themselves laughing and encouraging it.

Perhaps a dog license, like a gun license, I dunno. There are certainly plenty of people who should not be dog owners, just as there are plenty of dogs who for whatever reason are too unstable and dangerous, and that is just a fact.

Guest lavendergirl

Sad story, and a good article, the Vet in question is correct, it is largely the Bogan element who have no idea, or worse actively encourage bad dog behaviour that are the issue.

BUT...

I have to tell you all the story of a Pitt Bull X in my own family, and how sometimes it *IS* the dog not the owner...

My brother who is the most responsible person I know (literally) and a loving family man with at that time two young sons purchased a beautiful tan young dog from the RSPCA as a Boxer X (but it became apparent later that he was a pitt bull x Staffy) and set about raising this dog properly including socializing with people and other dogs... or rather trying to... he was a super aggressive dog from day 1, whilst he was fine with my brother adored him in fact, and tolerated his wife and the kids he absolutely hated everyone else, and other dogs were seriously in danger, it wasn't long before it became apparent that he had to wear a muzzle at all times he was out of the house due to his inherent aggressive nature and want to attack anything unknown.

He was also incredibly destructive, and once when he was on a very short car trip to the dog park totally flipped out and ripped the back of the station wagon apart completely in a frenzied attack that was apparently terrifying to the kids in the back seat. He also went after another dog one day, getting away from my SIL and in the process got hit by a car which was traumatic, but they paid the $4000 for the Vet to fix him up and he recovered well physically. He had obedience training, and every attempt was made to calm this dog down and make him a loving and loved family pet.

Without a doubt the scariest dog I have ever met, and we were raised in a household with Dobermans and the occasional German Shepard, so we are all well used to big powerful dogs and I personally have never had a problem with a dog until this one, he was truly terrifying, if you came to their house he would have to be locked outside and he would then literally try to smash the glass doors to get in, full on attack mode the instant he saw anyone who was not in his household, regardless if they were another family member or a small child etc.

This was obviously not sustainable in a normal very middle class household with lots of kids coming and going and finally after about 3 years they had to have him put down he was just too vicious and too uncontrollable for a family pet. Sure you could argue he could have had further training - but the reality is he was always going to be an unstable animal and could never be trusted around people or other animals, this was not a decision taking lightly, and it broke my brother's heart as he did love that dog - but he was never going to be a family pet.. I just am thankful he never had the opportunity to actually get out and attack someone or thing, as there is no doubt he would have if he could have. He could easily have killed a small child or in fact anyone.

Sometimes it just *IS* the dog.

I now live in a very bogan area (god was that an eye opener for a North Shore girl with a left leaning!) and just about every dog here is a Staffy/Pitty X never de-sexed and you see these morons all the time encouraging bad dog behaviour and thinking they are he men for owning some big vicious anti social animal - argh!

I saw one the other day with a Staffy/Pitty x puppy and the dog was attacking the toddler's tricycle as they walked along, instead of instantly stopping this incredibly dangerous bad behaviour, they were pissing themselves laughing and encouraging it.

Perhaps a dog license, like a gun license, I dunno. There are certainly plenty of people who should not be dog owners, just as there are plenty of dogs who for whatever reason are too unstable and dangerous, and that is just a fact.

How incredible that the dog passed the temperament test. The RSPCA have so many large dogs to rehome I thought they PTS any large dog that was in any way doubtful. I agree there will always be moron dog owners and like with everything else the laws of the land are constructed around the lowest common denominator.

There are certainly plenty of people who should not be dog owners, just as there are plenty of dogs who for whatever reason are too unstable and dangerous, and that is just a fact.

I agree.

But I don't see that all such dogs fit into the 'breed' descriptions set forth by the VIC govt. And I'd guess that 98%+ of the dogs that are condemned by those rulings are not at all dangerous.

You can't judge temperament by appearance.

What the Vic govt is trying to do is the equivalent of trying to end prostitution by banning blond hair (apologies to any blonds).

How incredible that the dog passed the temperament test. The RSPCA have so many large dogs to rehome I thought they PTS any large dog that was in any way doubtful. I agree there will always be moron dog owners and like with everything else the laws of the land are constructed around the lowest common denominator.

This would have been about 8 years ago.. I dunno if they had that back then or not, if they did then yes it was amazing that he did pass it.