Puppy Vaccinations

luvsdogs

I have a 10 week old today Japanese Spitz. He was given C4 for his 1st vac at 6 weeks 5 days old. My vet wanted to give him his 2nd vac this week saying that they can be re-vac as early as 3 weeks from the previous vac. He's had a bout of diarrhea & I didn't want to do him until he was better. I was going to take him today but after counting out the weeks, 3 weeks 2 days, I decided to wait until at least 4 weeks.

What schedule do your vets follow with puppy vacs & what do they use? When I got my border collie at nearly 12 weeks, she had already had 2 vacs with the breeder & when I went to my vet for the 3rd vac they gave her C7. It's all so confusing & I want to do the right thing for the little fella. My vet is always willing to explain things to me with great long explanations as to why she does & use these things.

Edited by luvsdogs

I thought only 2 were required, at 8 and 12 weeks, or at 12 and 16 weeks...? I thought the first one at 6 weeks was considered pretty useless?

My first litter was vaccinated at 8 and 12. I did it at 6 weeks this time because there is a small benefit and I wanted pups to be fully vaccinated at 10 weeks and with a requirement of four weeks between vaccination I had to do it at 6.

It is actually possible to wait till 10weeks and just give one nobivac vaccination, which I will be seriously considering with my next litter although it will mean owners have to wait till 10weeks and 3 days to get their pups.

It is advised that puppies under under 8 weeks of age should not be vaccinated because they may still have the anti bodies passed on from the dam and it is known that these anti bodies will stop the vaccination taking place.

There is a vaccination available at 10 weeks that overides any anti bodies and any further vaccination is not required for life.

I thought only 2 were required, at 8 and 12 weeks, or at 12 and 16 weeks...? I thought the first one at 6 weeks was considered pretty useless?

My first litter was vaccinated at 8 and 12. I did it at 6 weeks this time because there is a small benefit and I wanted pups to be fully vaccinated at 10 weeks and with a requirement of four weeks between vaccination I had to do it at 6.

It is actually possible to wait till 10weeks and just give one nobivac vaccination, which I will be seriously considering with my next litter although it will mean owners have to wait till 10weeks and 3 days to get their pups.

I used the Nobivac on my lab at 10 weeks, he had his 6 week shot and the breeder and then I did the Nobivac, so your pups could still go to their families at 8 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobivac is simply the brand name of the vaccination.

C7 covers leptospirosis which is only prevalent in certain areas so not needed by most people for their dogs.

Hi,

Nobivac is a brand of vaccine that has a factory here in Aust. at Bendigo.

They have a full range of vaccines.

It is advised that puppies should not be vaccinated before 8 weeks.

The reason is that bitches pass on anti bodies to their pups and these anti bodies can stop early vaccination (6 weeks) from working.

(see previous post)

There fore if you take home at 8 weeks a 6 weeks vaccinated pup and if the anti bodies stoped the vaccine from working it leaves the pup open to catch what it should have been vaccinated for.