Low Income, But Still Want Pet Insurance..

Aztec Gold

At the moment, I am a stay at home mum to two little girls, and my partner has had induction for a job with a local cheese factory that is expecting a few million dollar upgrade soon, and he is on their payroll, but has to wait up to a few months before he starts work there.

As such, we are both currently on centrelink, with the odd day or two of work (my partner is also on call for a local bottled water factory, but gets maybe 1-2 days a fortnight).

We don't have much in the way of savings, but all our bills get paid, have no debt, we currently rent a 3 bedroom house, and have top car and house contents insurance, no health insurance as we have a health care card (will get health insurance when we can afford to), and we want to get Chester insured. His free 6 week plan runs out on September 20, and we were thinking of putting him onto their budget plan, which is $40.95 a month (we would have to pay monthly).

QUESTION is, if we start him on the budget plan, when we can afford to, ie, when my partner starts his new job, would they let us raise the cover to the standard plan? Would they do this straight away, or would we have to wait until the policy came up for renewal? Does anyone know?

Also, if it continues on from his breeder free 6 weeks plan, does he have the waiting period of 21 days for illness or injury? Or does that get waived?

Thank you!!!

Shop around. I'm with PIA and the top cover (accident and illness with a $100 excess) is only $43 per month.

Most of your questions would likely be answered by reading the PDS from your chosen company. It should be available on their website, if not call and ask.

My understanding is...if he is on petplan, the waiting period will not apply, also, you can upgrade or downgrade whenever you want. BUR as others have said, call them and ask :) I've claimed two lots of pet insurance with different dogs using pet plan, no problems at all.... I had my eldest on RSPCA,.... he got a hotspot from where I was putting frontline on him... they wouldn't pay it because the cause was the frontline - which is classed as regular treatment or som BS. He's now not on anything but I plan to put him on pet plan soon.

God they are expensive! I have 5 pets... no way i can afford to get it for everyone

I put money in a different bank account each month, it is for the pets only. That way if something happens i have the money to pay, and if something does not happen... i have the money for myself :D

God they are expensive! I have 5 pets... no way i can afford to get it for everyone

Teebs, it gets cheaper with the more pets you insure. I couldn't afford to cover all of mine either but know I would conjure up the money if something drastic happened. I would have to pay out more on insurance than I would on vet bills if I covered all of mine but they're all pretty healthy (touch wood, lol) I have just two of my dogs insured and I think the second dog is only about $17 per month. I've never made a claim and have been paying the insurance for years. I get tempted to not bother but then worry I'm jinxing myself and that one of the dogs will need mahor surgery the next week after cancelling, lol.

Going back a few years though I did decide to insure two of my dogs and not my third as she was a lot older and then she did both cruciates :laugh:

yeah, i figure that the chances of them ALL getting sick is slim, and if i insure one over the others.. the others will get sick.

I have been putting $40 a week away for years now and havent had to touch it for anything (only vaccinations and normal check ups). At least if no one gets sick the money is still mine and not going to an insurance company!

Reverend Jo my understanding of most insurance companies is that you need to send in the proof of payment in order for your claim to be processed. I've not come across any that will pay upfront, but I think GE Care Credit (if the Vet Clinic offers this) will.

Have a look at Prosure - I recently did a quote for Orbit (4yo Dane) and got $36/month for Accident and Illness.

another option is to find a vet that will let you pay bills off mine will but apparently that is because we have been customers with them for years and have a fantastic record with them and have told people about them (if you do that they give you 40% off any product apart from the dog and cat food) but there are some that will so if your dog had an accident it will make it easier to pay for

Also, if it continues on from his breeder free 6 weeks plan, does he have the waiting period of 21 days for illness or injury? Or does that get waived?

Thank you!!!

We're interested in the answer to the above as sadly and unfortunately we are in this situation now, having lost our much loved 3 1/2 month old Golden 3 weeks ago.

He was covered with the initial 6 week plan which we renewed prior to the expiry date and he fell ill 2 days later and passed away next day (was on a ventilator at Murdoch Pet Emergency and was the sickest dog they've had this year).

One reason I haven't gotten insurance before is the pay up front thing. If I could get my hands on thousands of dollars I wouldn't need insurance in the first place! I don't understand it at all, how does it help low income people if you can't get a large sum to pay the vet first. The vets here don't do payment plans (there are only two surgeries and the next is 150kms away) and we won't get GE credit at the moment as we aren't working.

I'll have a look at Prosure, but if anyone does know of an insurance plan that pays the vet please let me know!