Seriously.. It's Humans Who Wreck Dog Park Fun For Dogs

W Sibs

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of a public "dog park". Last I heard, there are public parks that you are allowed to have your dog off lead, that's all.

No rule saying people have to like/own/respect dogs to use a public park where dogs are allowed off lead.

It's your responsibility to have your dog under control at such parks. If your dog checked out my BBQ at a public park, I'd be having a go at you. After I chased the dog off, that is.

Not saying there was a rule. Just pointing out that a group of people who don't own dogs, majority of them are scared of dogs will have a bbq at a off leash park (with signs around saying it's an off leash dog area).

There are rules that dogs are on leash around those kind of BBQ area, around play ground etc. But, this is a park that doesn't have that. These people bought their own gear, and set up seeing dogs running around off leash. They didn't own a dog and are scared of them.

Would you seriously have a BBQ in a place like that? And, to think that ALL dogs will leave you alone. With all the meat, food and yummy stuff all out on tables? And there is no BBQ facility or even a picnic bench around, will you have a bbq there?

Off leash parks are limited as it is and there are so many other parks that has all the BBQ facilities, why not go to there?

I get what you're saying, just don't see the problem is. They weren't doing anything wrong, they are just as entitled to use that public space as you are.

I wouldn't set up a BBQ in a place like that, but maybe they simply didn't realise the consequences? Not everyone is savvy about how people use off leash dog parks i.e. little control - not saying this is you, but in my experience, the majority of people at a "dog park" have no control (in Vic at least it is a requirement to have effective off leash control if you want to have your dog off leash - I can count how many people I have come across that have that on one hand).

If I did decide I wanted to have a BBQ at the off leash park, I would expect dogs to leave me alone. Or for their owners to recognise their dog's limitations and do something about it. I don't let my dogs run up to people having picnics in my local park and I expect the same level of courtesy.

Edited by superminty

Yeah, I seriously do understand it's a public place and that, don't get me wrong.

I respect people spaces and their decisions. I don't go out causing trouble, but it baffles me that they will decide to have a BBQ at an off leash dog park. That they don't own dogs and majority of them were scared of dogs.

Edited by CW EW

There are rules that dogs are on leash around those kind of BBQ area, around play ground etc.

There is also a rule that off lead dogs in off leash parks still have to be under control of the owner. Doesnt sound like the dogs in your story were, CW. Dont get cranky at the people who set up a BBQ in dog poo land when they probably didnt know any better - get cranky at the owners for being dickheads. You said you werent cranky but you certainly look like you are a bit.

Yeah, I seriously do understand it's a public place and that, don't get me wrong.

I respect people spaces and their decisions. I don't go out causing trouble, but it baffles me that they will decide to have a BBQ at an off leash dog park. That they don't own dogs and majority of them were scared of dogs.

I am baffled that you are baffled :confused: If they set up a BBQ at a park with 100 dogs running around in a small space, then that's baffle-worthy.

But a large park, a dog here and there - wouldn't put me off setting up my BBQ.

My mum is scared of dogs. She takes one of mine out walking and to parks. She has no problem with dogs being in those parks, provided they leave her alone, or at least don't jump on her/harrass her for attention. She trusts other people to respect her space and keep their dogs away and if they don't, they get told off! And she gives a good telling off :laugh: Is it baffling that she takes my dog to parks then? Why shouldn't she?

It's good that you respect other people's space and decisions - more of that and the world would be a better place. But you seem to have a sense of entitlement about park access. Remember - it's not a "dog park". You are allowed to have your dogs off leash there by the good graces of the council, but it's a public space.

Edited by superminty

Maybe I find it unfair.

sure I totally understand that but dog owners are in the cross hairs at the moment and any time that trigger could be pulled so we have to suck it up and be Pollyanna sacharine sweet and show the rest of the community we're nice, responsible dog owners, willing to share and have our dogs behaving nicely. If we give nothing for non dog owners (AND responsible dog owners)to complain about they wont then complain about us. It's not hard - we just have to suck it up!

Maybe I find it unfair.

sure I totally understand that but dog owners are in the cross hairs at the moment and any time that trigger could be pulled so we have to suck it up and be Pollyanna sacharine sweet and show the rest of the community we're nice, responsible dog owners, willing to share and have our dogs behaving nicely. If we give nothing for non dog owners (AND responsible dog owners)to complain about they wont then complain about us. It's not hard - we just have to suck it up!

that's the unfair part :laugh:

Nothing wrong with having a whinge on DOL though hey? ;) My dream is to set up a special dog park but I don't think that people would pay to use it.

I would if it's a good park and my dogs loves it :)

that's the unfair part :laugh:
Yeah I know. It's not easy for me to be Pollyanna but ya have to do what ya have to do and be 'glad' about it :rofl:

:laugh:

True.

:laugh:

True.

You're a good sport, CW :thumbsup:

I was picking up a stray poo left on someone's front lawn this morning and got abused by the home owner for letting one of my dogs poo there. It was a total pain in the bum but I had to bite my tongue and not abuse him back but just told him my 4 1/2 kilo and 6 kilo dogs could not have possibly left such a giant land mine - the poo was almost as big as they are. I was trying to do the old coot a favour and pick up after some dickhead who couldnt be bothered cleaning up after their own dog. He'll probably be a bit nicer tomorrow and maybe not think all dog owners are lazy mongrels. If we all go the extra mile we can turn dog haters in the community around. Fingers crossed, anyway.

Yep, had the same thing at an off leash dog beach!!!!

Except it was even worse because it was a kids, as in toddlers party!

While I understand its within their rights, I mean honestly, how about some common sense...

This is one of the most polluted beaches in sydney, it even has a sign telling you to beware of syringes :eek:

There is a reason why dogs are allowed on it (all the nice neaches in the area have banned dogs) and that it because its far from nice.

As for letting your toddlers run around on the beach and then get shitty if they get knocked over by (its quite a small beach so can't really separate dogs and kids easily, besides the kids run around more aout of control than the dogs), firstly why let you kids on such a yucky beach with dogs of all sizes running around. Especially when there are nice, dog-free beaches literally 5 mins away.

I'd be willing to pay for a nice dog beach or off leash area, maybe with a bit of agility or enrichment equipment.

Maybe I find it unfair.

But it's not unfair at all :confused:

Inconvenient for you, yes. Annoying, yes. Unfair, no.

I too find it inconvenient when I go to the park and find a cricket/soccer/footy game in progress. But it's a public park, they have the right to use it just as I do so I just move on.

Edited by superminty

One powerball and I will build and maintain the perfect dog park, and because I will own it I can ban anyone not picking up poo or allowing their dog to pick fights or annoy crap out of others. Hopefully I am rich enough to set up one in each state : D

OsS that sounds great! Here in Canberra we do have fenced specific dog parks. There are three govt ones and one community one, all open to the public. Pretty much everywhere else is on leash, apart from a few areas that can be offleash but are not specifically for dogs. Kids playgrounds, BBQ areas, swimming areas at the lakes etc are on lead.

When you go into the dog parks it really is all about the dogs, anyone having a picnic in there wouldn't get any sympathy for dogs approaching them, in fact I think there are signs saying dont take food in.

There are sometimes dogs off leash in other areas so there are the usual problems of dogs approaching others but if your dog approached people having a picnic or BBQ there is no ambiguity, dog owner is in the wrong. I like that it's clear.

We're lucky to have pretty good dogs and owners at our regular park so it's generally enjoyable to go there.

I like the idea a off lead dog park being an off lead dog park dogs can run around and say hallo to other dogs ( as long as they are friendly) and if people want to use then they can but they shouldn't complain if a friendly dog comes over to say hallo ( I'm a naughty owner my dog loves people and if he spots some one he will run over skid to a halt infront of them sit down and give then the cute droopy cocker look, at least he doesn't bark or jump at them )

There's a guy who regularly comes to our local off leash park and does tai chi/made up exercises in the middle of it. He gets more and more angry the more dogs go over to see what he's doing. I mean, what dog isn't interested in the man nearly standing on his head? They're not supposed to do that!

I once asked him why he chose to do his exercises in the middle of an off leash park, when he could walk 200 metres to the right and be where dogs have to be onleash, to which he angrily replied that he pays his rates and can do what he likes.

His morning calm exercises aren't working for him.......