Seriously.. It's Humans Who Wreck Dog Park Fun For Dogs

W Sibs

On Sunday afternoon, I took the Sibs to their favourite dog park. To my surprised, I saw a huge asian gathering at the DOG PARK... they bought their own gazebos, bbq sets, tables, chairs, mats etc. They basically position themselves in the middle of the park where we all had to walk pass. There were about 50 of them from all ages. What killed me and scratch my head is that none of them own dogs. Then, later discovered, majority of them were scared of dogs. Anytime a dog go near them, they will scream in fright and start yelling at the dogs owners.

This was at a dog park! There are signs saying that it's an off leash dog park. People bring their dogs there. At the time, there was about 6 dogs in total at the park, granted it's a huge park and we all kept out distance from the gathering.

Then, the bbq smell was too much for some dogs, that they had to go over to investigate what the smell was and hoping to get some food. That, of course, some screams, crying, yelling and arguments. From the group.

The people who were there with their dogs, just simply go get their dog and walk away. One guy, who owned a big dog, had to save his dog from 3 men who was waving sticks at the dog to keep him away (one did try to hit the dog)... call his dog over, he was about to have a go at him and then shook his head and told me, 'they aren't f!@#ing worth it'... leashed his dog and went home.

Anyway, I thought that's an interesting story to share :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....do they have things called "dog parks" in NSW? Because in Vic all off leash parks are dual use - they are for humans and dogs. Most of the time there are people playing cricket, soccer etc and dogs running around. It works most of the time.

That said, if I didn't like dogs I wouldn't go to an off leash park.

They were within their rights to use the park, at best, this was inconsiderate given that it was an off-leash area.

In terms of dogs not being able to resist food, or approaching people, well, train your dogs properly. If my dog tried to approach a random without my consent he'd have hell to pay for it and he knows it.

I totally understand it's a public park and that everyone has the right to use it. I think that's why all the other dog owners kept away from them at most part, and try to give them a big space.

This park is huge and dogs are use of people on there playing soccer, ride bikes, do some fitness training, fly a kite and couples are often seen on the hills cuddling and stuff. So, majority of the dogs that goes there are pretty good and owners all seem to be responsible dogs owners. Seriously, there rarely any incident at the park.

But this is the first time, I've ever seen anyone set up BBQs at the park. I was stunned at that. And, none of them have dogs and most of them were scared of dogs!! Then, again, even the most trained dogs aren't robot and seeing raw steak on a table can be too much for that dog, and the dog will try his/her chances on that steak :p :)

There are signs saying it's off leash dog park, and there is a big signs with all the rules for dogs owners too (there was 3 signs at each entrance of the park).. you can't miss it unless you aren't paying attention, but garbage bins are chain to the pole where the signs are held, so how can you miss it?

Edited by CW EW

On Sunday afternoon, I took the Sibs to their favourite dog park. To my surprised, I saw a huge asian gathering at the DOG PARK... they bought their own gazebos, bbq sets, tables, chairs, mats etc. They basically position themselves in the middle of the park where we all had to walk pass.

I agree it would be annoying. It sounds like they did not realise. I have to admit the above did make me laugh as I can just picture it in a Brisbane dog park, which are fenced off and are not intended for a 'picnic'.

although it is a park they can use and have every right to, I mean really having a BBQ in an offlead dog park when you are scared of dogs????? Pretty stupid. Did anyone actaully have a quiet chat to them and explain that this park was where people are allowed to have dogs off-lead and sometimes a dog may just run up to them considering they have a yummy BBQ.

Surely there are other parks close by they could visit where there were no off lead dogs??

Edited by OSoSwift

I seriously don't know if they really knew it was an off leash park or not. I'm pretty sure that there will dogs running around when they arrived and set up. There are always dogs in this park, no matter what time of the day or night it is.

Not sure if anyone went up to them to talk them, I kept my 2 away from them as much as possible.

There are a lot of parks around where I live :laugh: That's what confused and surprised me when I saw them.

What I found amusing is that they bought their own BBQ set, when around the park there is no facilities for bbq. There are no taps, sinks, toilets or anything that shows that this area is a great place for a bbq :laugh: Maybe I'm weird because before I start any bbq, the first thing I look for is a tap and a table bench before I set up..

It's not important but it was a huge asian group so I said it how I saw it :laugh:

Not sure what they were cooking, but I have to say that a strong smell of Kim Chi hit me as I walked passed :laugh:

Well there you go. If they had kim chi they probably were cooking bulgogi. You should have dropped by, introduced your cute dogs and begged for some, CW EW.

It's not important but it was a huge asian group so I said it how I saw it :laugh:

Not sure what they were cooking, but I have to say that a strong smell of Kim Chi hit me as I walked passed :laugh:

Well there you go. If they had kim chi they probably were cooking bulgogi. You should have dropped by, introduced your cute dogs and begged for some, CW EW.

:laugh: Oh, i can't handle spicy food at all.