Seriously.. It's Humans Who Wreck Dog Park Fun For Dogs

W Sibs

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: Oh, i can't handle spicy food at all.

Oh my sweet jesus that is soooo pathetic for an Asian chicky. I'm never inviting you over for my kim chi and bulgogi...and I'm Celtic.

Getting back to the story - what you should do in situations like that is go over for a chat rather than get cranky. It's really good for the dog community, and really good for visitors. You never know, they might have been on a tour group from China or somewhere and simply couldnt read the sign. As DR said, dog parks are usually full of dog crap because of bastard owners who dont pick up after their dogs and this crowd you speak of might have just set up there thinking it was a nice spot.

:laugh: Oh, i can't handle spicy food at all.

Oh my sweet jesus that is soooo pathetic for an Asian chicky. I'm never inviting you over for my kim chi and bulgogi...and I'm Celtic.

Getting back to the story - what you should do in situations like that is go over for a chat rather than get cranky. It's really good for the dog community, and really good for visitors. You never know, they might have been on a tour group from China or somewhere and simply couldnt read the sign. As DR said, dog parks are usually full of dog crap because of bastard owners who dont pick up after their dogs and this crowd you speak of might have just set up there thinking it was a nice spot.

I wouldn't say I was cranky (although I know other dog owners were very annoyed about it). I was just confused, surprised and somewhat amused about the whole thing. Only time I got cranky was when they were trying to hit a dog because he went to close to them.

(Plus I was still feeling seedy from Saturday day/night party that I could barely place a sentence together without groaning or grunting :o )

My fav off lead spot is also very much dual purpose. There is a river, so think muddy dirty dogs. Now think people dressed in white pants going for a stroll....

I seem to spend the whole time my dogs are off lead yelling at them not to go up to people. They are so friendly. Not sure if it is really worth the stress.

They also make a beeline for people sitting on the ground. Yes I can call them back but again it involves talking louder then I like!

The person that caused the most 'fun spoiling' on the weekend was the group with the pony. Horses are not allowed in this area. I am sure they would have been pretty pissed off if the dogs had spooked the pony. I had to wait for ages whilst they tried to get the pony through a puddle and then the girl just had to ride way off the path right past were I was waiting 'out of the way'. Grrr

Oh and I hate joggers at the moment. If you want to go lumbering past someone give them some room!

there is a dog park i got to sometimes it would be annoying because its a place where you can let your dog off the lead and people who use the park should accept the fact that dogs are of lead i mean if you let you let your dog of in a lead only park you would get yelled at. so that's why there special parks i would have gone and talked to them and said this was a park where dogs allowed to be of lead and probably not the best place for a BBQ as it would attract the dogs :D

(Plus I was still feeling seedy from Saturday day/night party that I could barely place a sentence together without groaning or grunting :o )

:rofl: Well we all know you Asians cant hold your drink. You silly duffer. You're not Japanese by any chance? One beer and they're down for the count and have a shocker of a headache the next day :rofl:

Jocularity aside, at times like that it really is a great time to choof over for a chinwag. We're all ambassadors for dog ownership so it's a great time to wander over and strike up convo. The guys waving sticks might have been scared so with little fluff monsters as cute as yours it would have been a great opportunity to introduce them and show they're not big scary creatures. Do it next time it ever happens, you'll probably make some nice friends and end up with a free :thumbsup: feed

My fav off lead spot is also very much dual purpose. There is a river, so think muddy dirty dogs. Now think people dressed in white pants going for a stroll....

I seem to spend the whole time my dogs are off lead yelling at them not to go up to people. They are so friendly. Not sure if it is really worth the stress.

They also make a beeline for people sitting on the ground. Yes I can call them back but again it involves talking louder then I like!

The person that caused the most 'fun spoiling' on the weekend was the group with the pony. Horses are not allowed in this area. I am sure they would have been pretty pissed off if the dogs had spooked the pony. I had to wait for ages whilst they tried to get the pony through a puddle and then the girl just had to ride way off the path right past were I was waiting 'out of the way'. Grrr

Oh and I hate joggers at the moment. If you want to go lumbering past someone give them some room!

Sounds like where I walk Brennan.

My biggest gripe at the moment is cyclists coming from behind who don't make any effort to let you know they are there. The walking path is shared with a sign saying to keep left. Just a simple 'ding' of the bell or a comment to let me know they are behind me.

:rofl: Well we all know you Asians cant hold your drink. You silly duffer. You're not Japanese by any chance? One beer and they're down for the count and have a shocker of a headache the next day :rofl:

Jocularity aside, at times like that it really is a great time to choof over for a chinwag. We're all ambassadors for dog ownership so it's a great time to wander over and strike up convo. The guys waving sticks might have been scared so with little fluff monsters as cute as yours it would have been a great opportunity to introduce them and show they're not big scary creatures. Do it next time it ever happens, you'll probably make some nice friends and end up with a free :thumbsup: feed

Yeah, I understand what your saying :)

(Someone should of told me and my friends that Asian can't hold their drinks!! Instead we all talked ourselves in playing drinking games :eek::laugh: )

Sounds like where I walk Brennan.

My biggest gripe at the moment is cyclists coming from behind who don't make any effort to let you know they are there. The walking path is shared with a sign saying to keep left. Just a simple 'ding' of the bell or a comment to let me know they are behind me.

That would be annoying! I have cyclist yelling at me to get out of the way. I learn that if I walk Charlie, I gotta walk him on the grass and I walk on the path just because he won't be quick enough to get out of the way when a cyclist whiz pass us.

Personally i hate it when i'm places and other peoples dogs come racing up to us with or without my dogs its just bad manners on the owners behalf if you can't control your dog put it on lead at no time should they go into other peoples personal spaces.

When on holidays at umina dogs are allowed and i think thats great but pretty annoying when peoples dogs walk all over yur stuff tread all over the kids sandcastles they are sitting building my kids or myself are scared of them but i just hink its rude.

However I do agree if you go places where dogs are allowed you shouldn't go there if you are scared of dogs plenty of other places to visit.

Sadly not all dog owners are responsible and ALL the dog parks i have ever visited are disgustingly covered in poo with full rolls of plastic bags and poo bins right there.

Personally i hate it when i'm places and other peoples dogs come racing up to us with or without my dogs its just bad manners on the owners behalf if you can't control your dog put it on lead at no time should they go into other peoples personal spaces.

When on holidays at umina dogs are allowed and i think thats great but pretty annoying when peoples dogs walk all over yur stuff tread all over the kids sandcastles they are sitting building my kids or myself are scared of them but i just hink its rude.

However I do agree if you go places where dogs are allowed you shouldn't go there if you are scared of dogs plenty of other places to visit.

Sadly not all dog owners are responsible and ALL the dog parks i have ever visited are disgustingly covered in poo with full rolls of plastic bags and poo bins right there.

I agree that's rude.

That would be annoying! I have cyclist yelling at me to get out of the way. I learn that if I walk Charlie, I gotta walk him on the grass and I walk on the path just because he won't be quick enough to get out of the way when a cyclist whiz pass us.

I walk 20 km a day with my lot - always ALWAYS get off the path for walkers, pam pushers, skate boarders and joggers. They'll only thank you for it rather than yell at you, and think dog owners are great. Pick up their poo and dont let them rush people. If we dont give common courtesy to non dog owners they end up thinking we're all a bunch of selfish shmucks who then start screaming for more and more legislation against us.

Never heard of a public "dog park". Last I heard, there are public parks that you are allowed to have your dog off lead, that's all.

No rule saying people have to like/own/respect dogs to use a public park where dogs are allowed off lead.

It's your responsibility to have your dog under control at such parks. If your dog checked out my BBQ at a public park, I'd be having a go at you. After I chased the dog off, that is.

I know what you mean there and I know I should use my upbeat "working" voice but faced with a situation like that I always default to the "I mean business" voice. :o I really should try to teach a reliable recall at a whisper.

Never heard of a public "dog park". Last I heard, there are public parks that you are allowed to have your dog off lead, that's all.

No rule saying people have to like/own/respect dogs to use a public park where dogs are allowed off lead.

It's your responsibility to have your dog under control at such parks. If your dog checked out my BBQ at a public park, I'd be having a go at you. After I chased the dog off, that is.

Not saying there was a rule. Just pointing out that a group of people who don't own dogs, majority of them are scared of dogs will have a bbq at a off leash park (with signs around saying it's an off leash dog area).

There are rules that dogs are on leash around those kind of BBQ area, around play ground etc. But, this is a park that doesn't have that. These people bought their own gear, and set up seeing dogs running around off leash. They didn't own a dog and are scared of them.

Would you seriously have a BBQ in a place like that? And, to think that ALL dogs will leave you alone. With all the meat, food and yummy stuff all out on tables? And there is no BBQ facility or even a picnic bench around, will you have a bbq there?

Off leash parks are limited as it is and there are so many other parks that has all the BBQ facilities, why not go to there?

Edited by CW EW

I agree it's very frustrating CW EW... I remember in Perth there was a dog friendly beach where you could take your dogs off lead - glorious. One day I was there with my rambunctious puppy - who at 6 months old didn't have manners. A family with small children were there (without a dog) and their children were terrified of dogs. Really infuriating when your puppy gets sand kicked in its face for going up to the child... There's 100km's of beaches in WA and they have to bring their petrified children to a dog friendly beach... silly. Yes they're entitled to be there.. but seriously!