Seriously.. It's Humans Who Wreck Dog Park Fun For Dogs

W Sibs

sure I totally understand that but dog owners are in the cross hairs at the moment and any time that trigger could be pulled so we have to suck it up and be Pollyanna sacharine sweet and show the rest of the community we're nice, responsible dog owners, willing to share and have our dogs behaving nicely. If we give nothing for non dog owners (AND responsible dog owners)to complain about they wont then complain about us. It's not hard - we just have to suck it up!

Why should we only be civilised and avoid trouble when we perceive we are in the crosshairs? I have always sucked it up and been Pollyanna sacharine sweet because as you note, it's NOT HARD. Normal people do it all the time, and not just when someone inconveniences them or offends them with their behaviour towards dogs.

I will never understand why parents bring kids that are scared of dogs to off leash dog areas. It's not like there aren't a myriad of other places they could take them that offer the same opportunities for fun and exercise. I've seen kids running laps of our dog park and giving whale eyes at every dog within 20m of them. The dogs know something funny is going on and they investigate, and the kid screams and the dogs get excited and the parent is like "Keep going! Ignore the dog!" It's a minor inconvenience for us to keep our dogs away from them, but it's horrible seeing these kids frightened and their parents are telling them to suck it up. They apologise to us for their kids getting upset and shout at the kids. I'm fine with sharing our space with kids, but I wish some parents would be more considerate of their kids. The same goes for adults that are scared of dogs. They have every right to be there, but it's kind of like me walking along the cycle track at the local sports fields and then screaming and running around erratically whenever a cyclist comes along. The cyclists don't mind sharing their tracks with us, but that's because we think it's polite to be considerate of them and make sure we don't get in their way or cause dangerous situations.

End of rant.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a guy who regularly comes to our local off leash park and does tai chi/made up exercises in the middle of it. He gets more and more angry the more dogs go over to see what he's doing. I mean, what dog isn't interested in the man nearly standing on his head? They're not supposed to do that!

I once asked him why he chose to do his exercises in the middle of an off leash park, when he could walk 200 metres to the right and be where dogs have to be onleash, to which he angrily replied that he pays his rates and can do what he likes.

His morning calm exercises aren't working for him.......

Love it very funny

There's a guy who regularly comes to our local off leash park and does tai chi/made up exercises in the middle of it. He gets more and more angry the more dogs go over to see what he's doing. I mean, what dog isn't interested in the man nearly standing on his head? They're not supposed to do that!

I once asked him why he chose to do his exercises in the middle of an off leash park, when he could walk 200 metres to the right and be where dogs have to be onleash, to which he angrily replied that he pays his rates and can do what he likes.

Love it very funny

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On Sunday afternoon, I took the Sibs to their favourite dog park. To my surprised, I saw a huge asian gathering at the DOG PARK... they bought their own gazebos, bbq sets, tables, chairs, mats etc. They basically position themselves in the middle of the park where we all had to walk pass.

I agree it would be annoying. It sounds like they did not realise. I have to admit the above did make me laugh as I can just picture it in a Brisbane dog park, which are fenced off and are not intended for a 'picnic'.

I have encountered dog-free picnics in small fenced dog areas here! Always seems odd that people would choose the little doggy area over the lovely open parkland around it. One group asked me to leave as they wanted the fenced area so their kids couldn't run off while the adults relaxed for lunch. Very sceptical when I told them I'd stay as my dog wouldn't bother them...and shocked when I asked if they would ensure their kids didn't bother my dog.

Dog stayed away from the picnic. Kids chased the dog to the far end of the park and threw bits of food at her.

Why should we only be civilised and avoid trouble when we perceive we are in the crosshairs? I have always sucked it up and been Pollyanna sacharine sweet because as you note, it's NOT HARD. Normal people do it all the time, and not just when someone inconveniences them or offends them with their behaviour towards dogs.

What? I didnt say we should only do it at the moment. We should bloody well do it all the time which I do but how nice of you to imply that people in this thread who arent nice all the time are abnormal while you are not. and please DONT YELL - I'm sure people reading this thread can read the text without you sticking in in caps

Love it very funny

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL :laugh:

We have one that does tai chi exercises in our park but he actually likes dogs and doesnt mind them coming over o check him out :)

I seriously think that people that do things like that are just bloody minded. I pay my rates so I will take my dog into the non-dog park they are having a picnic in - see now that wouldn't go down well.

I am quite sure there are people who would happily have their BBQ and co-exsist and I am sure there are people that try to keep their dogs away - but geez, have a few brains if you don't like dogs don't go to a park that allows off lead dogs - it isn't hard!!!!

Yes they have every right to be there, but while it is an area that allows off lead dogs, so do I and my dog!!! Some people just want to be a pain in the arse no matter what the senario!

Edited by OSoSwift

There's a woman started walking her pet lamb on lead on our dog beach :eek:

- so that has buggered it up for most of us.

:eek: :eek:

I know - from a distance it looks like a small white fluffy which my dogs are fine with, but a lamb - I don't think so :laugh:

And she has two dogs with her, who appear to be guarding the lamb, so I can see am almighty dog fight breaking out.

Will wander dowm in the morning with my camera and take my far away lens.

I seriously think that people that do things like that are just bloody minded. I pay my rates so I will take my dog into the non-dog park they are having a picnic in - see now that wouldn't go down well.

I am quite sure there are people who would happily have their BBQ and co-exsist and I am sure there are people that try to keep their dogs away - but geez, have a few brains if you don't like dogs don't go to a park that allows off lead dogs - it isn't hard!!!!

Yes they have every right to be there, but while it is an area that allows off lead dogs, so do I and my dog!!! Some people just want to be a pain in the arse no matter what the senario!

I think we have to give these people the benefit of the doubt. It was mentioned that they were Asian. Perhaps they were a tourist group? Having said that, they probably regretted making the decision to have their barbeque in that particular location.

I'll give another scenario. Yesterday I was at my local off lead park with my mini schnauzer and I met another lady who had the same breed. We stopped and chatted for a while when suddenly her dog ran up to another dog owner and wouldn't leave her side. This lady was also walking her dog. My boy stayed around me but the other boy followed the other owner and dog and started jumping on the lady. I mentioned to his owner that the dog is a fair distance from us and her comment was that her boy knew there were treats and he wanted some. She made no attempt to call her dog back and could see that the other owner was not in the least bit pleased, trying to make the intruder sit and then trying to shoo him away. To me that shows irresponsibility. It's no wonder some non dog people don't like us. You own a dog or two, it is imperative you keep your charges under control in public. We are priveleged to have areas where we can let our dogs off lead but not to the detriment of other park users.

There's a woman started walking her pet lamb on lead on our dog beach :eek:

- so that has buggered it up for most of us.

There is a lady who walks her miniature horse along one of the off leash dog beaches around here. She gets really cranky if the dogs go anywhere near the horse not to mention the horse tries to kick and have a go at the dogs. Funny enough the dogs stay away from the full size horses that two people ride along the beach of a morning so I wonder why they go up to the mini horse.

There is also a huge off lead park in town that I have seen people set up their picnic at, however that is only because the council put picnic tables in the park then put up a sign stating that you shouldn't take food into the area :confused: not sure if the signs are still up or not.

--Lhok

We ride our horses on a private beach wehave permition to use it which is good but you will get people walking along it with there off lead dogs and I dunno how they miss the "private beach no trespassing" but thy do and then the dog will run and bark at the horses and once my horse kick the dog the owner went nuts all I said was" this is a private beach you and your dog should not be hear" and walked of I have met a one or 2 dogs that just calmly wall past and I normal say hallo to them as they are not causing any harm.