Lurcher Wanted!

APSEY

Hey All

Can anyone help me locate a Lurcher breeder in Australia....preferably in Victoria if possible!

Ive found a few posts on the net saying that there is one in Huon Valley in Tasmania, But cant find any contact details......

Appreciate any help i can get :)

Cheers, CHris

Not really sure you will find one.

Lurchers are more an English thing. Not even sure exactly what breeds go into them, varied ones from what I understand. I haven't ever heard of one, but since I am on the other side of the country then there may well be some over there somehwere.

Yep i know its a crossbreed, and i'm after the Wolfhound/Greyhound cross...

Its just to have as a companion dog.... i love the look of them!

I'd be trolling rescue pages for a "Staghound" or buying a Deerhound. At least with the Deerhound you know exactly what you're getting in terms of size and temperament AND they are gorgeous. :love:

.Look at Deerhounds and Wolfhounds as a start they are wonderful dogs.

Edited by Purdie

Bit of a long shot but there is a beautiful Wolfhound x on Rescue Rex (Glenfield rd animal shelter) at the moment. He is in Wagga Wagga but transport options can usually get them a bit closer if you are interested.

May not be what you are after but he is rather handsome ;)

Pounds in country NSW have them regularly. There is not a dedicated rescue, but many end up in various rescues from there. So you can either check on Petrescue (and like Poodlefan said - the too-often-used term for a shaggy sighthound cross is "Staghound" which I hate, so nice to see you use lurcher :D ), or keep an eye on local classifieds etc.

The term "Lurcher" tradionally means a sighthound crossed with a working breed, either herding, terrier or in Australia often a bull/hunting breed. Whereas the term "Longdog" means a sighthound crossed with another sighthound.

In the dol urgent rescue section, keep an eye on the following threads: Glenfield Shelter (in particular) at Wagga, and also Griffith, Temora and West Wyalong pounds.

there are regularly staghound adults and puppies in Wagga Pound (therefore you can check out Wagga Animal rescue and RADAR, which are rescue groups that generally take dogs/pups from wagga and surrounding punds for rehoming).

I myself fostered a staghound pup from Wagga Pound and she was a gem :)

The southern Vic SA style of Staghound will be what you are looking for (yes I have one!). The prey down there is traditionally smaller and they kept to the UK lurcher style of dog whereas in NSW inland and further north the Staggie is hunting pigs, red kangaroo and buffalo so mixed up with bigger and bigger breeds.

I will hunt up the name of the breeder mine came from - they are in SA and have been breeding a standard style of lurcher for many years. D'Arcy is 7 this year and I have seen some of their pups from this year online and they look just the same. watch this space :D

The southern Vic SA style of Staghound will be what you are looking for (yes I have one!). The prey down there is traditionally smaller and they kept to the UK lurcher style of dog whereas in NSW inland and further north the Staggie is hunting pigs, red kangaroo and buffalo so mixed up with bigger and bigger breeds.

I will hunt up the name of the breeder mine came from - they are in SA and have been breeding a standard style of lurcher for many years. D'Arcy is 7 this year and I have seen some of their pups from this year online and they look just the same. watch this space :D

hey :)

just out of interest, there are still hound-type ones rather than the bully-type ones. Here is the pic of my foster (at about 3 months):

P1010240.jpg

technically that's not a Lurcher, it's just a sighthound cross, maybe even a longdog, not sure, but a Lurcher is a sighthound/working dog (such as a collie) cross or sometimes sighthound/terrier cross, just depends on what you want them for. I've got a fabulous book called The Complete Lurcher by D. Brian Plummer that I got for 5c at the local library sell off, what a treasure!! :D He was supposed to be an expert on them.

Yep Lurcher - Wolfhound or Deerhound x Collie, typical in UK.

I have 2 Staghounds, both rescued from Wagga Pound, definitely worth keeping an eye on the Country pounds or on here under the Dog Rescue section. I used to rescue the scruffers in NSW country pounds.

If you have facebook try looking at 'Owners of Staghounds' or 'Staghounds of Australia', there's a lady on there Natalie I think who rescues alot of Sighthounds & I put a friend onto her & she adopted a beautiful young female Wolfie x from her. You will find alot of knobheads around these groups but there's some really good people too.

Hope that helps!