What Type Of Tinned Tuna

Guest Black Obsession

all this talk of tinned fish made me go to the stoopidmarket and buy some sardines in tomato sauce...not for Wilbur; for me. Nothing beats sardines in tomato sauce smooshed up on toast :eat:

"smooshed"

Great word! :)

Yep, Brunswick sardies in spring water here as well. I sometimes buy the IGA Home brand Black and Gold tuna as it is cheap, but I get a case of the guilts as the wild tuna stocks are so low now that they may become a threatened species in a few years.

Woolies home brand mackerel in mackerel oil, never in tomato sauce (salt content too high for my liking) - when you can get it. I tend to grab 1/2 dozen cans when I see it and then raid all the Woolies for 1/2 dozen each store as it is out of stock quite often.

I don't feed tuna to the dogs at all.

I used to get home brand sardines from Coles or Woolies (either in soy oil or springwater, but never tomato) which both come from the same cannery in Thailand, but then I discovered Aldi sardines, which used to come from a cannery in the Phillipines, but lately has Thailand so that's probably from the same cannery now too.

Still I'm sticking with the Aldi one because the packaging is so much easier to use and recycles better too! :thumbsup:

I'll have to look into getting mackerel for my two. And I really didn't know that it was the added oil which was beneficial to the dogs -- just figured they were fed fish for the naturally occurring oils. :o

I'm lucky to live in supermarket friendly suburb. I have a local Woolies, Coles, Aldi and IGA!

Nothing beats sardines in tomato sauce smooshed up on toast

Eeeewwww! :vomit: But then I don't eat fish at all!

all this talk of tinned fish made me go to the stoopidmarket and buy some sardines in tomato sauce...not for Wilbur; for me. Nothing beats sardines in tomato sauce smooshed up on toast :eat:

OH was forever going mad at me for accidentally feeding 'his' tinned fish to the dog...now he's given up trying to buy it for himself altogether. Billie and I both feel this is the best outcome.

I get Brunswick or John west sardines for her. New fishmonger has just opened in our local supermarket so will see if they can get me some dog friendly whole fish.

None of my guys have ever liked raw fish. I did get Jazz to eat them once but then she threw them up in the middle of my bed so I never tried again!!I use home brand sardines in either tomato sauce or oil or tuna in oil. They love any of them.

NO?! :vomit: I wonder why? :laugh:

Mine love sardines in oil or mackeral or salmon if I'm having some and there is a little left over. I bought fresh fish a couple of times but Bree seemed to have a problem seeing them as food and it took forever for her to eat it. I don't know how anyone can eat sardines! Just the smell is enough to clear the room!

I dunno how I can eat tinned sardines either. But there are certain foods and drinks that I crave when my immune system is down and for some reason sardines seem attractive then.

I know I'm on a cusp of a head cold when tea seems good to drink.

a desire for cornflakes or baked beans are also signs of impending illness for me.

I'll have to look into getting mackerel for my two. And I really didn't know that it was the added oil which was beneficial to the dogs -- just figured they were fed fish for the naturally occurring oils. :o

You feed these fish for the EFA's - the Omega 3 and 6 ratios. These EFAs are highest in the oily fishes. In all cases I feel fresh is better than canned, but it is too expensive for me (might be fine for coastal dwellers).

The added oil is just a method of preserving but with the soy oil that sardines normally come in I actually like that they are being exposed to another protein, I tend to alternate in oil and in springwater. Now that I think of it, I actually drain the springwater ones but not the oil ones so I'm not sure why I bother with the springwater at all!!! :o

With the mackerel in mackerel oil, I assume the oil just iintensifies the EFA hit. Please note for those who mainly feed kibble, the salt in canned fish might be a problem if the kibble you are feeding has added salt.