So Much For Going To The Royal Melbourne Show!

Andisa

Now I know why I didn't see you today. I saw you both first thing in the morning as I arrived at 6:30 am and then never sighted you again. I unloaded all my gear, set my bench up and then drove to the Flemington racecourse entrance on Epsom road (would of been around 7:00 am by this stage) and it was open, I was the first dog trailer there. I do this every year and just have the dogs left to walk back with. Sorry you had so much trouble, and as much as we all like to get to places early, sometimes it doesn't pay to be too early!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and where were your bench numbers? When I got there at 7.30 mine were the last in the whole row....funny they werent in numerical order... :eek:

No no no, alphabetical! LOL!

No no not alphabetical!! Ring order alphabetical cos this little black duck was first in, in all my classes :( I hate being a "B".

Sorry Lisa...being your first Royal I should have explained the parking bit to you, just didnt think of it. :(

No worries Sharon - we lost interest when we were told by at least 3 parking officials that the racecourse gates opened at 8.30/9am. One person had no idea and directed us to someone else and he said the same thing. Yes we got the booklet that said 7am - the gates were still closed when we went past the last time and there was no one in sight. Had we known to wait at the gates we would have - no problems. The other exhibitors that we spoke to told us where to park, we were knocked back by all - it was those parking attendants that said about the gate times and not to park any where or risk fines and towing. No idea why the other exhibitors didn't just tell us to wait at the gates, perhaps they did not know about it either.

Glad no one else has had any issues and good luck to those still going. I heard that the gates were opened at 6am yesterday - is that right?

Edited by Andisa

I have just had word that all the agility competitors received a letter from the CEO telling them that, as there is a race meeting this Sunday, there will be no parking at Flemington and he suggests that they all catch the train :eek: Not very helpful when the competitors have to register by 8am and the first show train arrives at 9.45am! Not to mention multiple dogs, crates etc.

A few people I have spoken to will try to arrive 6-6.30am and look for street parking. Glad I didn't enter this year.

Well I said I would post about how we got on with parking at the Royal. Same as every other year, arrived at 7.30, drove straight in to drop off, Mick pushed the loaded trolley while I walked Finn, Mick nicked off to the loo then went back to the car, Mick drove to the racecourse and walked back and was back with me by 8.15. All in all a smooth operation. We then walked back to the car with Mick pushing the trolley and me walking Finn )I always get the easiest job hehe), I fed and walked Finn while Mick packed the car and we were out of the racecourse by 5.17pm. I must admist that it is far easier when you have two people, I would never go on my own.

Oh, by the way, Finn won his class whoo hoo!

Melbourne Royal has the BEST drop-off and parking arrangements of any Royal I have been to (Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne). If you had read your exhibitor handbook Andisa, you would have known when the gates opened for parking and for drop-off. There is even a map of how to get between the two. At that early hour, you could probably have gotten street parking too. Arriving at 6am is perhaps overkill for a show that doesn't start until 10am. Parking opens at 7.30, which is 2.5 hrs before judging starts, so should be plenty of time.

Melbourne Royal also has BY FAR the best exhibitor information booklet, and all the information you need is usually in it. Royals are a test of metal at the best of times, and some like to really put exhibitors to the test! (hellooooo Brisbane :laugh: ) so next time, be patient and understand that a Royal is a big event, and they have many different exhibitors and the public to cater for. Tis a bit dramatic to go home rather than wait for the carpark to open!

So, to those who have not yet attended this year, dont worry - car parking is great, attendants at drop-off and parking are helpful and patient. Trailer parking is drive-in, drive-out (no reversing), but you will need to reverse in the drop-off area. The drop off area is big and well managed, and right next to the entrance gate. Dedicated path take you from the parking area back to the showgrounds, and there are donut vans on the way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . Even when we arrived late one year, we easily got a park.

Gail

just try parking in Flemington and pushing a trolley full of cat cages, together with all the grooming gear (which persians need a ton of) up and down that hill - at least the dogs can walk!!!!

We push our trolleys with dogs in them on the way home, but use the drop-off area when we arrive. The underpass can be hairy, but overall it is a pleasant, easy walk, even with a 4 berth trolley filled with dogs and piled to double it's height with gear. :)

I must admist that it is far easier when you have two people, I would never go on my own.

Oh dear, you aren't instilling me with confidence for Friday laugh.gif

Congrats on Finns win thumbsup1.gif

I'll be there Friday with hand helpful OH so if you need help yell out... well not literally but you could text me...

I must admist that it is far easier when you have two people, I would never go on my own.

Oh dear, you aren't instilling me with confidence for Friday laugh.gif

Congrats on Finns win thumbsup1.gif

I'll be there Friday with hand helpful OH so if you need help yell out... well not literally but you could text me...

Thanks - I'm hoping that my breeder will be there around the same time so I can leave Moo with her inside and then go and park and come back. Thats the plan anyway!

we went sunday and didnt have a probleml.i think some people are just whingers.the parking guys where very very helpful the same guys as last year and no worries parking at the racecoarse.we were parked and benched by 7 30

Sorry Lisa...being your first Royal I should have explained the parking bit to you, just didnt think of it. :(

No worries Sharon - we lost interest when we were told by at least 3 parking officials that the racecourse gates opened at 8.30/9am. One person had no idea and directed us to someone else and he said the same thing. Yes we got the booklet that said 7am - the gates were still closed when we went past the last time and there was no one in sight. Had we known to wait at the gates we would have - no problems. The other exhibitors that we spoke to told us where to park, we were knocked back by all - it was those parking attendants that said about the gate times and not to park any where or risk fines and towing. No idea why the other exhibitors didn't just tell us to wait at the gates, perhaps they did not know about it either.

Glad no one else has had any issues and good luck to those still going. I heard that the gates were opened at 6am yesterday - is that right?

My breed was on the day and yes the gates opened at just after 6am, about 6:15 I think, and we just walked in with out trolley to wait but they opened up, so we were able to get in early! No issues or dramas, and gates attendant was nice allowing us to wait just outside the dogs section gate until it opens.