Car Restraints?

Talien

I'm not sure of the legalities, but legally you have to have your dog restrained whilst traveling in a car yes?

I plan on extensive traveling with my new pup, so I am wondering what the legalities are, and also what sort of restraints are recommended?

What is the best way to bring the puppy home? (It will be a few hours in the car) In a crate/what size? Or can I get a harness of some kind?

I'd recommend a crate for a puppy. It provides an enclosed den-like environment for the puppy. The size you would need depends on the breed and size of pup. We used a pp40 for Wilbur a lab who travelled by air at 8 weeks. The pp40 was his initial bed for the first 5 weeks til he outgrew it and we upgraded to a wire 42" crate; so the purchase of a travel crate wasn't wasted on us. I wouldn't recommend a harness for a 'first time in a car' pup as we have found that we had to train Wilbur to wear the harness and sit in the car correctly. We also used the travel crate for car travel til he was about 9-10 weeks old and then we looked for a well padded harnesses. He's been using a harness ever since.

As far as i'm aware, there are no laws regarding dogs in sedan/cars however i would highly recommend using a restraint of some sort; safety first.

Some people don't use a restraint to bring their puppy home; they have them on a passenger's lap or on the floor of the car.

When we had a station wagon we used a crate, now we have a sedan and the crate doesn't fit, so we use a safety strap clipped into the middle back seat buckle. As Archie was already 14 months when we got him, I had no idea of size, so I just clipped the safety strap to his collar. But I have to get a harness for car travel.

Archie loves traveling in the car and will lay on the back seat and sleep the whole journey. As far as I know there are only laws concerning dogs riding in the back of utes. But common sense tells you a dog unrestrained in a car is a disaster waiting to happen....its like having an unrestrained child....they go hurtling through the windscreen just as fast in an accident. I would rather give my dog some chance of survival.

Lynn

I like crates for bringing pups home and until they get used to wearing a harness (this took some time to train so they wouldn't freak out/tangle themselves up). I prefer crates generally in the car, but I have to fit kids in too, and don't have enough space for a crate as well! So a harness it is. A station wagon is so on my wish list!

I use a harness and an old chain walking lead clipped to the childseat fastening point on the back sill, for Dory.

I've found this works for us because she likes to chew the seat belts to get free. The harness helps stop her from getting tangled in the lead and the lead gives her the ability to use the back seat comfortably without her becoming a risk to us or herself.

Plus, when the car is parked she likes to sit on the back shelf so she can watch everything. Thankgoodness she doesn't do it while we are moving. She tried it...once...until I braked a little too hard. ;)

If at all possible space wise I prefer crates, so much easier if you have to remove the dog/s from the vehicle in a hurry for any reason - ie accident, car catching on fire which happened to me a while back, even a breakdown, dogs can be safely moved to some shade.

My Min Pin baby travelled home from Mt Gambier to the Mallee in a crate with no problem, just stopped ever now and then for a wee break for him and the other 2 I had with me (in crates as well).

My main concern is not the law but what I think is best for my dog.

Unrestrained in my car if I have a prang/crash she is probably frightened and the minute the door is openend she bolts and then I probaly have a missing dog or on a busy road injured or dead dog. Restrained she can't just jump out an open door or smashed window, if I need help from anyone then my dog should not be able to prevent that because she is restrained and not able to get to them.

It is always better for a dog to travel in a crate if you can fit one in. Much more comfortable for the dog to be able to lie down in any position and move around rather than being strapped in. The only puppy I have ever sold that got badly carsick was one that was put straight into a harness. They got rid of the harness for a few months and she got over being carsick. With puppies a crate protects the car from sick, poo, wee and from being chewed.

I'm surprised that so many recommend a crate (which is great), but does not say that the crate needs to be secured! :eek:

In a crash, a dog in a crate will hurtle through the back of your head or the windscreen at up to 110km/h. Chance of dog survival will be zero. Chance of your critical injury will be high.

So, if you use a crate, the crate must be securedly tied down (not always easy to do)

And it should be a travel crate or an inbuilt crate, not a soft crate or a wire crate that is collapsible. We secure our dogs to the LATCH bar using ute ties. They have freaking enormous metal clips on them. When we go for long drives we usually put them in their Pet Buckle seat belts, which are crash tested. The only reason we don't use them more often is they are uncomfortable. The dogs hate them. And it's inconvenient if we want to walk them in their walking harnesses at the other end.