Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

Sandra asked

Is there a species of venomous snake which typically has bright green patches on it? The rest of the snake was brown-ish but there were areas of uneven bright green markings.

Where in Queensland are you sandra.?

The colour of a lot of species of snake is so variable that I.D is real hard without a pic

Could be a tigersnake..

As far as the dog runs go, i cant stress how important it is to give the snake no where to hide and no reason to visit.Employ some poultry to work as early warning systems and snake deterents.'

Today i was called to this tigersnake in Mt Eliza and i managed to get footage of the capture and release.

We're just west of Ipswich so it could have been any sort of stranger washed here by the floods. I saw it while I was walking the dogs, not too close to home - we've had our share this year :-(

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ososwift.

In the 2nd picture it looks like you have another wall/barrier running the outside of your runs? Or is it just too early in the morning and Im not seeing it right? Your runs look like they sit directly on the ground?? And how to you go hosing the runs out?

Am really spewing now builder didnt measure correctly as it would be so much easier to run meshing straight down the walls past the edge of the slab straight into the ground. Am wondering whether it would be more secure to build another barrier/snake proof fence a meter high around the outside of the runs to ensure there arent any gaps??? That would be a bigger job, but would rather do it right the first time.

Cheers

That is the retaining wall which is now back filled :).

they are not very often locked into the small runs these days as I have attached the yard so don't go to the toilet in them, but I hose them out through the doors as the doors have nothing underneath them like yours would have.

Putting up snake mesh or mesh with shade cloth around the outside may be a good idea. I did read somewhere that you need to slope it outwards at the top as that makes sure the snakes cannot climb the mesh. If you did that you could make up gates from angle iron so that the angle iron gate shuts into and angle iron frame and that would be very snake proof. That is the recommendation I was given many years ago as a snake proof gate.

Snake mesh comes in 90cm and 120cm from memory. I would consider snake mesh and burying it into blue metal as then it shouldn't rust as quickly or much at all.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that if you have mice issue and they are digging mouse houses under your fence that snakes love mouse holes and can use them to go under a fence

Edited by OSoSwift

This is the runs with the new yard attached. There is fine mesh to 1 metre tall around them but you can't see it in this photo. I dug out a trench all the way around and back filled with 60mm blue metal all the way around and under the mesh and fence.

Now to just get that last bit of grass to grow near the gate :)

post-23623-0-82650300-1320971468_thumb.jpg

Edited by OSoSwift

Great runs O So Swift and Shepherds :) Fingers crossed in keeping the snakes out.

Mean while my big, long legged bunch of bandits are upside down on the couch in the air con. Have been all day long. I am waiting for it to cool down and check the yard before we play, race about and train.

That is the way it will stay during summer and hot humid weather. :)

I have to vacume the floors and dust twice a day as they are such a hairy bunch!

Sandra asked

Is there a species of venomous snake which typically has bright green patches on it? The rest of the snake was brown-ish but there were areas of uneven bright green markings.

Where in Queensland are you sandra.?

The colour of a lot of species of snake is so variable that I.D is real hard without a pic

Could be a tigersnake..

As far as the dog runs go, i cant stress how important it is to give the snake no where to hide and no reason to visit.Employ some poultry to work as early warning systems and snake deterents.'

Today i was called to this tigersnake in Mt Eliza and i managed to get footage of the capture and release.

can not believe you were moving the wood with your hands :o nice looking snake though

I really cannot believe it didn't get really cranky. Not sure if ours are crankier than the average Tiger Snake down here, but ours would have had their heads totally flat, be hissing flat out and probably striking by now. They flatten their heads and get cranky if you accidently get too close. That seems a very mellow Tiger Snake.

I have always wondered about the difference between a snake rearing/standing up (I think, cranky and ready to strike) my dogs. And then those snakes who lay very low on the ground and "flatten out".

I have seen snakes fit into all sorts of tiny gaps. Tiny spaces I would not have thought possible for a snake to get through.

Ours flatten their heads and stand up, unless they of course have an open means of escape, then are more interested in getting away :) I have seen them flattened on the ground when it is a bit cold and they are being very defensive.

Yep they can get into some seemingly impossible spaces.

Thanks Ososwift.

In the 2nd picture it looks like you have another wall/barrier running the outside of your runs? Or is it just too early in the morning and Im not seeing it right? Your runs look like they sit directly on the ground?? And how to you go hosing the runs out?

Am really spewing now builder didnt measure correctly as it would be so much easier to run meshing straight down the walls past the edge of the slab straight into the ground. Am wondering whether it would be more secure to build another barrier/snake proof fence a meter high around the outside of the runs to ensure there arent any gaps??? That would be a bigger job, but would rather do it right the first time.

Cheers

That is the retaining wall which is now back filled :).

they are not very often locked into the small runs these days as I have attached the yard so don't go to the toilet in them, but I hose them out through the doors as the doors have nothing underneath them like yours would have.

Putting up snake mesh or mesh with shade cloth around the outside may be a good idea. I did read somewhere that you need to slope it outwards at the top as that makes sure the snakes cannot climb the mesh. If you did that you could make up gates from angle iron so that the angle iron gate shuts into and angle iron frame and that would be very snake proof. That is the recommendation I was given many years ago as a snake proof gate.

Snake mesh comes in 90cm and 120cm from memory. I would consider snake mesh and burying it into blue metal as then it shouldn't rust as quickly or much at all.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that if you have mice issue and they are digging mouse houses under your fence that snakes love mouse holes and can use them to go under a fence

Thanks again...really do appreciate your help. Have a friend of ours who is really good with figuring things like this out coming around tomorrow to have a look and help us decide on a plan and then will go from there. Will let you know what I decide on.

Cheers

Great runs O So Swift and Shepherds :) Fingers crossed in keeping the snakes out.

Mean while my big, long legged bunch of bandits are upside down on the couch in the air con. Have been all day long. I am waiting for it to cool down and check the yard before we play, race about and train.

That is the way it will stay during summer and hot humid weather. :)

I have to vacume the floors and dust twice a day as they are such a hairy bunch!

Thanks NicB...mind you they dont seem to appreciate them at all and when we are home what they get up to bears an uncanny resemblance to your description of yours :laugh: And dont get me started on the vacuuming and dusting....especially at this time of year when they are dropping coat.

That sounds like a Green Tree Snake, they have beautiful blue/green scales that flash when they are angry. Which is a lot of the time.They are non-poisness and have back-faceing teeth.

Look them up they are really lovely looking snake.

We lost a beautiful 17mth old sbt bitch last monday to a snake bite i had gone to pick my daughter up from school and when we got home the other guys meet me at the gate but no tallan we found her laying in the garded unfortunatley it was far to late for her she was already deceased i have lived at my house for four years and have never has a snake.So please everyone i beg you all to very vigilant and extra careful with your precious dogs.The look on my daughters face as we had to bury her was one i will never forget.RIP tallan taken far to early 4/6/2010 to 7/11/2011 .We are not sure what sort of snake it was but as browns are most profilic around here assume a brown

I'm so sorry for your loss Memphis. RIP Tallan :rainbowbridge:

Well, we had one of our old boys, Cooper, in ICU last night. I don't know how the hell it happened but a tiger snake got into our dog shed/runs and Cooper had it. We have done everything possible to protect our kids and I feel so defeated.

Luckily we caught it early and my husband rushed him to the emergency vet, which is 20 minutes away speeding, while I stayed and watched the other 10 boys for any signs. I just can't believe that we have to go through this again (4th time in less than 2 years) but thankfully, Cooper is made of strong stuff and is on his way to recovery.