My Portfolio

CrazyCresties

Over the recent months I have been practicing my photography on willing DOL members dogs and also some dogs from the training class I go to :) I have just joined 500px and put what I feel are some of my best shots up there, so thought I would share them here and also ask for your comments and criticism - this is 'just' a hobby for me, but one I love, so any advice on improvement welcome :D

http://hairlesshounds.500px.com/hairlesshounds_pet_photography

Cheers :D

Edited by CrazyCresties

Really nice photos - you've got a style that shines through. I like!!

Some post-processing comments...?

Perhaps a personal preference - some of your shots are a bit bright for me. The contrast is a little do high especially in the highlights. Not enough midrange maybe. It's hard to put my finger on.

FWIW - I try to avoid shooting in bright sun.

hmmm...I just had a closer look at some of the images. You aren't using the full tonal range in the ones I thought looked a bit bright. I'm not sure how you are post-processing - and I'm not sure how much of the next bit you'll understand :)

Your white and black points aren't set at 255 and 0. Take the dog at the sprinkler one for example.

Your photography is really, really nice...

PS - "My Dog's Brain" - :rofl:

Edited by Luke W

Thank you Luke, that’s just the sort of feedback I’m after :D

I use Lightroom for my processing, but have to admit pretty much just messing about till I like the look of things :o A lot of my B&Ws are based on a pre-set called ‘pretty brown’ which I need to check when I get home, but I don’t think it’s a true B&W conversion….would that affect the full tonal range you are talking about?

I certainly need to spend time learning about and understanding post processing properly. I worry about things looking too dark....perhaps I need to embrace the dark side a bit more :laugh:

I want to get a decent monitor as well - I’m currently editing on my laptop, which while it has a very nice 15.6" HD 1920x1080 LED display, I would like lovely big monitor :D

Rain or very bright sunshine seem to be the only two conditions here in WA :laugh:

The yellow and the chocolate lab sitting and lying together - loooove that one!

And oh, the line of Novas, that photo it to die for, the colour is just outstanding! Are they owned by a DOLer? Outstanding dogs, outstanding photo!

The jumping Dobe... shot of a lifetime, woooooowwww that is incredible. Would love to see that in colour!

Labby yellow pup, lying on the tiles with the wood fence background, that is so clear! Lovely, lovely photo.

Oh I just saw the Novas all lying down, how obedient of them :)

Now I've reached the felines... that blue point longhair, that is a magnificent shot, and the eyes are just so expressive. Incredible work there. Himalayan?

The tortoiseshell with the yellow eyes, another stunner! That pose is awesome!

The head shot of the Dobe; he has the most gentle face of any doberman I've seen!

Overall I am very impressed and if you ever find yourself in Townsville in need of any birds/bearded dragons/mice/dog subject matters, hit me up :D

Thanks CTRW for your comments on them all :D

And oh, the line of Novas, that photo it to die for, the colour is just outstanding! Are they owned by a DOLer? Outstanding dogs, outstanding photo!

Yup they belong to Ptolomy, They are a gorgeous bunch of dogs :)

Now I've reached the felines... that blue point longhair, that is a magnificent shot, and the eyes are just so expressive. Incredible work there. Himalayan?

She is one of 3 Ragdolls that belong to a friend of mine :)

BTW ...maybe you need a folder of your "macro captures" ;)

agree with KK you mean a folder for your brilliant macro shots as well

Thanks guys :D I'd have to pay to get a second portfolio, but I might just do that as it would be nice to see my macros in a similar format :)

CC you know I think your pictures are stunning! It's so nice to see them all in one place, you must feel a bit of pride :)

Cheers RV and thanks for the gorgeous models ;)

Lovely! Noticed a few DOLer dogs in there :D

I have no useful comments, but I thought they were all gorgeous photos! As I was going through I was like, "Ooooh, love that one. Oh wait, this one is really nice. Oooh, this is my favourite. Ah! I love them all!" :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...