What Do Your Whole Boys And Girls Do?

Talien

So, I've been taking a bit of an unwanted crash course in whole females recently and have been wondering, what sort of displays / behavioural traits do whole males have?

I have looked up what I could but I wanted to get solid information that's interactive, where I can ask more about some things and less about others.

I am interested in all types of males and females, mostly males though as I said female + crash course = bad juju

With Labbies, being neutered or entire doesn't make a big difference, apart from the obvious (coming into season . .. having balls, etc). Entire boys and girls are more reactive when a girl comes into season. But on the whole, the differences between individual dogs' temperaments are much greater than the differences of before/after spey/neuter. Lots of people believe that it's harder to keep a spayed female slim, but in my experience, the task is equally difficult for an entire female. I think there are misconceptions because people confuse the effects of maturation (younger dogs and bitches are more likely to be entire) with those of desexing.

I have had the most trouble with marking, humping and the typical entire male traits with a male desexed at 6 months old more so than my entire boys who have never displayed any of the typical traits to cause an issue. Personally I have never noticed much difference between an entire and desexed male to the point that desexing a male is not really something I would do anymore unless I had a legitimate reason. My males don't get out and I don't allow them to become involved in random matings from a reproduction point of view, that side of owning entire males is not a factor in my situation, but behaviour wise there is no appreciable difference that I have ever really noted to say a desexed male results in a better pet.

I have three entire male Samoyeds and there is no difference between them and my desexed Lab.

In fact my Lab is more likely to hump and be painful when the girls are in season.

Isn't that strange?, my desexed boy was the same and we wondered if they missed some vital bits when he was castrated?. I have had a desexed female who was also a cronic humper far worse than any entire male?

Worth adding, behaviour at home may be different from behaviour away from home or on the street. Many studies have shown non-neutered males are more prone to aggression. And if you ever work in a boarding kennel, you will find they are much more likely to mark walls, beds, other dogs . . . and their pee smells worse.

I think a lot of the temperament/behaviour thing is also environmental... ie. how well trained an animal is.

I had an entire male Rotti who never displayed dominance over other dogs - regardless of whether there was a bitch in season nearby, or being challenged by another intact male.

I have fostered desexed young males who initially tried the dominance thing on others, but after learning that this was not acceptable behaviour (from myself AND my permanent dogs), they tended to work it out just fine.

That said, I once had a female crossbreed who became more dominant after desexing - not to mention that she reacted like an intact male when there was a bitch in season nearby... humping and marking... weird!

T.

We have never had an entire or desexed dog hump ... my guess that is an environmental thingy.

Dogs and bitches urine does smell stronger if they are entire..and entire dogs tend to 'mark' with urine...as do bitches when coming in season.

There may be more fighting between entire dogs/bitches .

Depends a lot on the individual dog and sometimes on the breed. In general terms an entire male will be more affected at times by 'sex hormones' - though generally you only really see this at its worst when there is an in season entire bitch around. Often the biggest difference (in general terms as there are ALWAYS exceptions) is that when a bitch is in season they can go a bit more nuts. Some boys will be impossible with the crying and going off their food etc.

Some males, depending on breed, will not always get on well with other males. But then some on other breeds will live happily with other entire males (though most I know who do this wont have the boys together if they have a bitch in season around).

As for pee smelling bad - I have never had that problem. I do think it can be affected quite a lot by diet. I haven't noticed any difference between entire or desexed males here (I have both).

Edited by espinay2

If wanting to go to dog parks or other places with unknown dogs (this could mean just walking down the street) I have noticed that 'wannabe' males often take an exception to entire males and attempt to dominate or bully them (moreso than they would to desexed males).

I have an entire boy and a neutered boy and they are both just big sweet goofballs. Neither of them do much marking, neither show any aggression and aside from differences in their coat and the lack of balls on one, you'd be hard pressed to tell which one was entire from their behaviour. When my entire bitch is in season, the difference is obvious....the one that can do the deed gets very amorous and noisy for a few days.

I also have an entire bitch and a neutered bitch. The only dog of mine that marks (outside) is the neutered bitch. She will lift her leg and mark where other dogs have been. She will also respond to aggression with aggression.......she's tiny for her breed but she thinks she's 10 feet tall and bulletproof and if a dog snaps at her she'll go at it all guns blazing.

My other 3 dogs avoid those situations, they just duck for cover.

The only dogs I ever had that fought were my current neutered girl and my previous neutered boy who died in July. They'd go at it every now and then, usually over food, and we had to be careful about feeding them separately and making sure there were no food scraps around they could fight over.

If wanting to go to dog parks or other places with unknown dogs (this could mean just walking down the street) I have noticed that 'wannabe' males often take an exception to entire males and attempt to dominate or bully them (moreso than they would to desexed males).

This. I have an entire male, and neutered males often take offense to his presence. My dog has never had an issue with an entire male, only male (bully breeds - maybe the breed or the owners have something to do with it) that were desexed at like 3 months old. My dog has no interest in fighting - he can't really be provoked unless he's defending me (ie unless he's at my feet I know he won't fight).

His pee doesn't smell great, but he doesn't mark our house or backyard. Just pees somewhere away from the back door and we can't tell where if we don't see him go.

He likes all females very much, but he doesn't forget himself even with females on heat.

That said, my sister didn't do any training with her dog (a papillon) and he was always desperate to escape. Now he's desexed, he never runs away and is a much easier dog for them to manage.

Horses for courses.

There was no difference in my boy between between entire and desexed except for how some other dogs reacted to him.

same with my two boys :thumbsup:

neither hump anything or engage in excessive marking when out in the community ..

In a boarding kennel situation we always keep entire males in separate yards during exercise sessions. I've seen dogs go over the fences a few times to get into another yard but it's usually to get to the human (for attention) rather than the other dog, you just have to move very fast, just in case. If there's a girl in season at the kennels and entire males there as well, a lot of work goes in to make sure they are not in adjacent runs and all dogs supervised closely.

So, I've been taking a bit of an unwanted crash course in whole females recently and have been wondering, what sort of displays / behavioural traits do whole males have?

They have normal dog behavioural traits.

It is the desexed dogs that have some of their drive inhibited to various degrees by lowering the testosterone in the dog.

In my opinion, if you have a dog of a potentially valuable bloodline you keep it entire, if it's a pet you would desex it.

The traits of your dog will depend on its own genetics and its behaviour display will depend on your training. That applies equally to all dogs whether desexed or entire.