A Frightening Experience

tlc

Do not beat yourself up about an accident tlc. Congratulate yourself on your calm reaction and swift action which resulted in an unharmed Tully. Your actions prevent Tully from doing any more damage and from becoming more destressed. Consequently, you were in more shock than Tully was. Dogs are amazingly resillient. We humans are the fragile ones who need the cotton wool. :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So True all the worry and stress us humans go through! I'm glad I don't have kids id be a basket case. :laugh: I'm sorry for the others who have been through the same thing but it's been great to read all the responses and know I'm not on my own with this happening. One thing about DOL is everyone loves their dogs so much and can really pitch in with helping a person with a doggy dilemma.

What is EIC? She is English cocker x poodle.

All good here today, I keep thinking any minute something is going to happen but she is fine, eating like normal, toileting like normal, not even so much as a limp, it's like nothing even happened! :)

Oh tlc, that would have been horrific to see, I was cringing reading your post.

Glad to hear Miss Tully is feeling better. As others have said, just keep an eye on her as the AI wears off to see if she's in pain. Lots of cuddles are the best medicine (for both you & her :) )

Ness, that had been in the back of my mind, (didn't know the technical name) but we had probly only been there maybe 20 mins, it was evening, not hot, and Tully is a dog that can work/excersise for hours without showing any signs of being exhausted, I generally monitor her so she doesn't over do it.

I think it will remain a mystery and fingers crossed it never haPpens again!!

MW, lots of cuddles is mandatory at our place but more so over the last few days. It might be all in my head but I'm sure the other dogs know something is/was up with Tully. Her eye is still a little blood shot. Off to the vets tomorrow for another full check up.

My money would be on temporary pressure on a disc or the spinal cord. Partial paralysis has to come from somewhere.

Agree that chiro would be a good idea. I would also restrict that kind of play activity.

Edited by poodlefan

EIC seems to be something you pick up on earlier in a dog and I wouldn't have thought at the age your dogs are at that it would have been the cause but since it was mentioned I thought I'd send the link through.

Kenz more then likely has EIC.

My first port of call over any lameness is definitely a chiro or physio over a normal vet.

If any of my 4 were going to get EIC it would be Tully she is a mad runner, jumper and general all round little fitness fanatic. :laugh:

I'm still trying to figure out if she did fall on her front/neck/ shoulder of what ever, she would have pulled up at least slightly lame which she hasn't at all. Think I just have to stop trying to figure out what happened and just be thankful she is ok. :)

Everyone's replies have been very helpful.

Hi tlc, how awful. :cry:

as a general rule, ball playing should be completely stopped, probably forever, or any jumping activity.

Smaller dogs are very succeptable to these injuries, they can even be permanent or fatal.

Their discs are physiologically different to larger dogs (who also have a different set of problems). If you go down the chiro route, only a vet/chiro would be OK. There is no regulation on people calling themselves an animal chiro..I even know a butcher who is one..he thinks as he was a butcher that he knows animal physiology..and gets paid a LOT more than he ever did in his real trade. :mad

I have a website that may be helpful (or may not :o )

it's

www.holisticanimalphysio.com.au

Very glad lovely Tully is now fine :D :thumbsup:

EIC seems to be something you pick up on earlier in a dog and I wouldn't have thought at the age your dogs are at that it would have been the cause but since it was mentioned I thought I'd send the link through.

Kenz more then likely has EIC.

My first port of call over any lameness is definitely a chiro or physio over a normal vet.

Ness how is Kenzie going with her recovery? I often wonder how she is.

Thanks for the link Monah, I will check it out.

Our vet visit went well, we had a different vet (the wife of the vet we seen Sunday) She checked Tully out and when she didn't really want to comply with having the throat swab the vet thought her neck may have been a bit sore. She concluded that her thoughts on what happened was she somehow landed on her neck/head and the pain made her lose bladder control and possibly hit a nerve which could have caused the temporary paralysis.

I asked her about EIC and she said with a dog like Tully and how active she is out and about it would have presented itself before now. Anyway she has been fine and like nothing ever happened so fingers crossed that's the end of it. I will definatley monitor ball games and jumping but unless I had her on lead 24/7 I don't think ill ever stop her from jumping, she was born to jump, I'm sure she has springs in her hind legs! Will give her another few days rest then take her for a walk and see how she goes.

tlc, I have just seen this! :eek: I am so pleased to read that Tully is all right! :thumbsup: It must have been absolutely terrifying for you. I can only imagine how I would have been if it had happened to Brianna!

It is wonderful news that she is doing so well! :)

Thanks Wendy, not something I would wish on any dog owner, the shock, I thought I was going to have a turn myself after what happened!

Rozzie she had the vaccine no problems at all.

Edited by tlc