Your Dogs Weird Quirks

W Sibs

Doof farts audibly, then turns and gives his butt a filthy look for giving him away.

The last time he spewed on the carpet he ran and got his toy duck, put the duck next to the spew and sat there looking at the spew, then giving the duck a filthy look, then looking at me to make sure I was falling for it

He also eats copious amounts of snow if given the Opportunity

Kodiak occasionnaly has a bad dream and when you wake her up she'll come running over for a cuddle and will lie in your arms crying for about 10 minutes

Post breakfast she lies on her back with her legs in the air for an hour. Post dinner she does a weird little strut/stretch manouvre across the floor.

She is happiest when you sit with her and hold her poor

When I was at uni she would sit behind me when I study crying until I put another chair beside mine. Then she jumps up on it and spends hours listening to lectures with me

hahaha.. Doof = street smart. Kodiak = book smart.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

boonie's is NOT farting.

I thought as a lab we'd be subjected to an all consuming stink ball - in 16mths of his life i reckon I've caught whiff of him twice.

I'm happy to provide the missing smells :laugh: When Wilbur has Sardines in tomato sauce with his RC biscuits he farts like no tomorrow and the smell could strip paint from the walls :rofl: I'm more than happy to bottle it and send it up your way :rofl:

When our Cav was a pup and was going through his humping stage, he had his favourite toy that he liked to do it with, but before he could he had to take it for a walk round outside then come in and do his business... We called it taking his toy on a date before taking her home :D

Now when we let him out of the laundry... if we don't bring all his toys out he'll go to the gate and wait for us, pick up one bring it out and play for 30 seconds rinse and repeat until all of them are out.

that's a real gentlemanly Cav you have :laugh: Wilbur our chocolate lab has Polly the pig his friend with benefits. Wilbur likes to slap Polly around a bit before he gets his benefits :rofl: Clearly he's not the gentleman your Cav was :laugh:

:rofl: this thread is hilarious !

Sasha has some quirks... Her main one is she can spot an insect anywhere in the house no matter how tiny it is ... Then she usually does the prancing/whining thing until we get rid of it.

She is also one of those look at the butt farters. Whe live near an airbase and quite often we have the jets fly over and she goes nuts when she hears them... She will try and chase it around in our backyard but she hasn't caught one yet ;) :laugh:

I also have a poodle who refuses to greet you at the door when we come home unless she has something in her mouth. We open the door and the other 2 dogs greet us, but she's racing around the house looking for a toy to hold. If there is no toy nearby anything will do... an 8kg poodle gretting you at the door with a steel capped boot in her mouth is in interesting look.

Does anyone know why some dogs do this? My dog seems to have that too, though to a lesser degree. He will always prefer to have something in his mouth when he first sees me after work or something. In his case, he will only pick up his own toys, and if he can't find anything within like 5-10 seconds he gives up and runs back to say hello with nothing. But the first thing he does when someone he really likes (it's really only me and my OH) arrives is look quickly around for a toy to hold.

I believe it is excitement displacement. I think dogs have different thresholds where they will need to do something to manage their internal state, and different things they will do as a result. The more excited they get the more they revert to instinctive behaviours. My dog that does this has always been mouthy. I guess that excitement for him tends to come out in mouthy behaviour. It's socially unacceptable to mouth people as a general rule, so he carries something around instead. What amuses me is that he walks while he does it, like Roova's bull mastiff. When Erik is excited he runs and jumps, but Kivi is much better at containing his excitement. He'll run where he has the room, but he's perfectly happy walking in circles. The more excited he is the longer he walks around holding something.

Demi also greets me at the door with something in her mouth. I will admit that I actually trained this in an attempt to get her to shut up when I got home....

Demi can bark (loudly) AND hold onto toys, shoes, paper etc :angeldevil:

Mine is clearly broken. She can't lie normally. If it looks uncomfortable then she will be lying on it. I currently have a tent sitting in my front room that I have to take back to Anaconda. It is a pop up tent that is supposed to fold up into a bag but we can't get it to fold back up so can't store it. Anyway, there is a lovely dog bed sitting next to it but today I found Stussy lying in amongst the tent on top of the hard case bag, steel tent pegs and guide ropes. If I am watching tv and knitting at night then you can bet she is draped across both my thighs and being hit in the head with my needles. If I'm on the computer then she is trying to sleep with her head resting on my feet which are on the foot rest. In bed she wants to sleep longways on top of my legs.

Maybe she came from a big litter and was used to making do?

Clancy Whippet created a new way to welcome me home about 18 months ago (he is 6 yrs) he comes around behind me and walks between my legs and the stops and stretches his neck up for a good chin rub whilst he gazes into my eyes upside down to tell me he is pleased I am home!

Connor Whippet has the odd habit of sticking his nose up my shorts whilst we are walking! But being down here in Tasmania on holiday from Darwin and it being a trifle err 'fresh' I am now wearing heavy duty jeans so that has foiled him!

Annie

Dory loves to scoot her butt. She's wormed, had her anal glands checked with great regularity...we figure she just LOVES to scratch her butt by scooting across the floor.

We have watched her start at the top of the yard....scooooooot all the way to the bottom, get up, walk back to the top of the yard and do it again.

She also likes to do it with an audience....dog park is always a winner.

And watching her on the mat is hilarious...she is very skilled at cornering.