Your Dogs Weird Quirks

W Sibs

My Crested dries himself after he has a bath.

I have to lay a towel down on the floor so he can go silly rubbing himself all over it. If there is no towel he will run around the house in a mild panic looking for something to rub himself on.

I also have a poodle who refuses to greet you at the door when we come home unless she has something in her mouth. We open the door and the other 2 dogs greet us, but she's racing around the house looking for a toy to hold. If there is no toy nearby anything will do... an 8kg poodle gretting you at the door with a steel capped boot in her mouth is in interesting look.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you just love the strange things they all do!!

My Kobi has this weird thing about rawhide objects.. its like he thinks their real?! Will stalk up to it then jump back in surprise when he gets close.. then throw it around and pounce on it and try and kill it while barking, growling and carrying on. Very strange but very entertaining!

I also have a poodle who refuses to greet you at the door when we come home unless she has something in her mouth. We open the door and the other 2 dogs greet us, but she's racing around the house looking for a toy to hold. If there is no toy nearby anything will do... an 8kg poodle gretting you at the door with a steel capped boot in her mouth is in interesting look.

Does anyone know why some dogs do this? My dog seems to have that too, though to a lesser degree. He will always prefer to have something in his mouth when he first sees me after work or something. In his case, he will only pick up his own toys, and if he can't find anything within like 5-10 seconds he gives up and runs back to say hello with nothing. But the first thing he does when someone he really likes (it's really only me and my OH) arrives is look quickly around for a toy to hold.

My youngest (16 months old) sucks on her mother's ears till they are wet as. Never had a dog do this before and it is the only thing that she sucks. My boy who doesn't let anything phase him has a fear of plastic bags :confused: Don't know why but very wary when you are changing the bags in the rubbish bin cause "it may attack him" :laugh:

Does anyone know why some dogs do this? My dog seems to have that too, though to a lesser degree. He will always prefer to have something in his mouth when he first sees me after work or something. In his case, he will only pick up his own toys, and if he can't find anything within like 5-10 seconds he gives up and runs back to say hello with nothing. But the first thing he does when someone he really likes (it's really only me and my OH) arrives is look quickly around for a toy to hold.

I know a few dogs that do it, it's really strange. Prada will keep looking over at us like she really wants to come say hello but she just can't do it until that toy is in her mouth then she goes silly. She;s also a toy sucker too, will just sleep with a toy in her mouth and when she wakes up her mouth is so dry the toy is stuck to her lips.

My youngest (16 months old) sucks on her mother's ears till they are wet as. Never had a dog do this before and it is the only thing that she sucks. My boy who doesn't let anything phase him has a fear of plastic bags :confused: Don't know why but very wary when you are changing the bags in the rubbish bin cause "it may attack him" :laugh:

My youngest loves licking/sucking her Dads ears till they are soaking also!

All of mine have to chaperone you to the bathroom... must be something scary in there... *grin*

Rather disconcerting to have dogs watching you go potty if you don't own said dogs... lol!

Pickles HAS to meander in front of you whenever you are running to get the ringing phone... grrr!

T.

I've got a rescue boy here that takes this just a leeetle too far. Not content to have the door open and sit to watch my performance, he has to actually give you a cuddle whilst you go. Very disconcerting and I've tried pushing him away but after 10 or so shoves and him returning like a good little yoyo I've given up and do what I need as quick as possible whilst get a doggy cuddle. :o Sorry if that is all TMI but its a very weird trait.

My previous bull mastiff loved holding something in her mouth and walking back and forth in front of me with tiny little steps and her ears folded back. I think it related either to when she was a puppy and I cooed over her when she was carrying something (everything she did was so cute!), or because she was making out she'd caught something and was parading it back and forth. Either way I couldn't help but give her smooches because she looked so cute :o

I believe it is excitement displacement. I think dogs have different thresholds where they will need to do something to manage their internal state, and different things they will do as a result. The more excited they get the more they revert to instinctive behaviours. My dog that does this has always been mouthy. I guess that excitement for him tends to come out in mouthy behaviour. It's socially unacceptable to mouth people as a general rule, so he carries something around instead. What amuses me is that he walks while he does it, like Roova's bull mastiff. When Erik is excited he runs and jumps, but Kivi is much better at containing his excitement. He'll run where he has the room, but he's perfectly happy walking in circles. The more excited he is the longer he walks around holding something.

I've got two confirmed tissue rippers here.

And I also have one who thinks human toilet time is the best chance for a cuddle! However spray anything in the bathroom, and she'll come running from anywhere in the house to bark at it. Tell her 'off' (so she'll wait for her dinner) and she'll not only do 'off', but leave the room too!

I've got another one who is a definite something-in-the-mouth greeter, and he also will only chase *his* ball if *I* throw it. No other will do. He will run across the field, leap in the air, and spit the ball out mid flight if its not his. This is really funny, but not for the person whose ball it is, and therefore has to collect it.

love the stories.. :D

More weird quirks he does:

Charlie gets excited and he grabs a toy in his mouth too.

Both mine are tissue shredders too.

Charlie also squeaks like a toy if he is excited.

He snorts when I tell him to catch.. it's as though if he snorts the food will get into his mouth.

Edited by CW EW

My old girl Bella has a thing for balloons, if one pops and no one is quick enough to pick it up she will swallow it, she has given me a few scares. She also cocks her leg to pee. Her lastest habit is spending hours just standing watching our rabbits hoping one will escape.

Rascal is another dog who has to greet you with something in his mouth at the same time making strange noises. He also plays with his food if we give him biscuits, he will bring one in to the loungeroom, put it on his bed, poke it, spin around, pounce at it, spin around again and continue the ritual until he is ready to eat it.He also has a quirky habit of curling one side of his top lip up and smiling when I talk to him or tell him to be quiet at the same time as play bowing and wagging his tail.

I think the toilet accompanying thing is probably far more common than any of us think, but people don't tend to mention it in real life conversation. :laugh:

Haha I was going to say, I'm so used to my dog accompanying me to the bathroom I don't even think it's weird anymore :s

My old girl Sally would cock her leg to pee as entire bitches sometimes do, but she took it to extremes when we walked by lamp posts. She backed right on up in a "handstand". Mr Hafhafa refused to take her for walks!! :rofl:

Sally was also very demanding. She would demand to go out - a cross between a bark, squeal and shriek - and then to come in again. We just humoured her as she was old. But unfortunately before she left us for the Bridge, Tom our rescued JRT-X managed to learn this behaviour. He's been with us for 10 years, but only started the demanding business relatively recently (last few months that Sally was with us). Thanks v. much for that little legacy Sal!! :eek:

Zoom used to "bury" his Kong under his blanket, in my bedding, in the clothes (clean or dirty!) and then take great delight in digging it out again. He rarely does it now since he's old & blind, but every now and then we hide it for him and he noses it out. Seems to give him a bit of pleasure. :laugh:

James harrasses other people to make me do things :laugh: If someone else is in the room and he wants dinner and I'm ignoring him, he will prod the other person until they pass the message onto me that he wants food.

Similarly, if he wants to go outside and I'm not paying attention he'll go and take a turn about the room in a sort of, "I'm not sure if you've noticed but I've been standing by the door for a while now" manner with a pointed look at me when he passes. Rinse and repeat until I get up.

:rofl: Love it.

If Weez is feeling ignored he will put his front paws up on the back of my computer chair and just stand there on 2 legs until I pay him attention (maybe a nose-poke if I am too slow). He also groans every time he lays down for a rest like an old man (he's 18 months :rolleyes:)

The Fox does a little 'butt-rub-dance' where she will lift her back leg on the side you are patting, and arcs around so she is hitting herself in the face with her own wagging tail.

I'm sure there are lots of other that we don't even notice anymore since we see them so often :laugh: Fox is a bathroom-door-guarder/find-a-toy greeter and Weez is a tissue shredder too.

ETA: oh, and B-Q's comment just reminded me - Fox goes CRAZY when someone twists up a teatowel ready to swat a fly. She runs in circles, barks, jumps up, before you've even tried to swat anything. it's very strange to watch.

Edited by Weasels