Your Dogs Weird Quirks

W Sibs

Quinn hates high 5's. Anytime she sees them or hears them she comes running over and jumps up looking all offended. She always had lots of oddities to do with noise sensitivity and high 5's are one that she isn't desensitized to yet.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My two both love getting stuck into a full toilet roll. The pup is known to manuveur the roll off the holder and then she manages to spread little bits of it all over the house. They both love chewing on empty rolls to. Mine are toilet followers, the pup is always in there with me for a cuddle, the older one just sits at the door, protecting me from intruders.

The pup will bark at dogs on the TV and then run into the hallway to try and find them. Really confuses her that she can see them but cant find them. She also is fascinated with the bird and birdcage. She half climbs onto the bottom of the cage and pushes it around with her back legs. She chews anything, takes dvd covers from the cabinet and chews them, anything that is at her height is fair game. Pup also has a basket for her toys, she will climb into the basket to eat her biscuits or bury her biscuit in it for later. Every so often she will curl up and have a snooze amongst her fluffies. She has a fetish for my daughters slippers and only hers. We gave her an old pair of hubbies but she wont have anything to do with them.

Pup cannot go down stairs yet, so when she wants to go outside, she jumps into the laundry basket and waits patiently to be carried down. The other girl will only go downstairs if you tell her "off you go" and pretend to open the door, then she scoots through the doggy door and goes downstairs.

Both are talkers and will only talk when they want something and I am not paying attention.

With my two lakeland terriers the girl jess tiger has this strange fear of her tea, after we give her permission to eat she looks at us with pleading eyes as if to say do I have to eat it. Then she will spend the next 5 mins looking at it smelling it making sure that it is ok, when she's made up her mind that it's not going to kill her, she starts eating with gusto. She has been like this for years, we fed her a raw diet since we got her at 3 months and she is now 11, we just put it down to one of her many quirks.

Her brother my billy has the cutest habit of nodding his head when he walks.

This is probably not a quirk but worth mentioning!

Bitty LOVES men! Now Bitty is a friendly girl as a rule but my golly gosh that girl LOVES men!

If we see a bloke from across the street, she primps and preens and makes googly eyes and wiggles at them until they come over to say hi to her!

It is embarrasing and awful! I have had men go up to me and say "Your dog is flirting with me!". The way she does it is sooo obvious too, it actually LOOKS like she is trying to chase after a bloke!

Also the other day I had a male roof guy come over to give me a quote for patching up the roof. She was all over him so I had to shut her in the bedroom. She managed to open the bedroom door (I had a scarf tied to the handle which I forgot to remove) and threw herself at this poor fellow!

I often think I should hire her out to single women as a conversation starter with men!

Both my dogs are completely quirky.

Satchmo has a fear of tiles and other slippery surfaces (this does not include wet rocks which he is happy to climb to his heart's content). After 3.5 years at our house he often still has issues getting across the 1m stretch of tiles between rooms. Sometimes he walks across without a care in the world and other times he looks at the floor like it's going to open up and swallow him. Sometimes he barks at us to 'help' him across, and as soon as you get up and say 'come on!' he happily walks across. He can't get into our bedroom across the tiles but once he's in, he can get out no problems at all. Sometimes he gets stuck on 'the island' (otherwise known as the doormat at the back door) or manages to stand with all four feet on the rim of the doorframe to avoid the tiles (he is a BIG dog). He won't go near the toilet or bathroom because there are so many tiles, he gets a look of fear just being near them.

Ava gets really hung up on our emotions and associates words with them. As a result she becomes really sensitive to seemingly harmless words. If one of us gets the hiccups she dances around all worried-like and will roll around on the ground or go hide under the bed. Now just saying the word 'hiccup' gets the same reaction. She also has reactions to 'ew' and 'ow' (wriggle wriggle lick face) and 'naughty' and 'trouble' (squint, grovel) and 'hungry' (OMG EXCITEMENT).

Once, many months ago, OH got home from work before me. She'd destroyed something while we'd been out so he was displeased with her (didn't yell, just changed his tone of voice). She went and hid under the bed. Now, EVERY SINGLE TIME he gets home from work before me she goes and hides under the bed until I get home :o

Both my dogs are completely quirky.

Satchmo has a fear of tiles and other slippery surfaces (this does not include wet rocks which he is happy to climb to his heart's content). After 3.5 years at our house he often still has issues getting across the 1m stretch of tiles between rooms. Sometimes he walks across without a care in the world and other times he looks at the floor like it's going to open up and swallow him. Sometimes he barks at us to 'help' him across, and as soon as you get up and say 'come on!' he happily walks across. He can't get into our bedroom across the tiles but once he's in, he can get out no problems at all. Sometimes he gets stuck on 'the island' (otherwise known as the doormat at the back door) or manages to stand with all four feet on the rim of the doorframe to avoid the tiles (he is a BIG dog). He won't go near the toilet or bathroom because there are so many tiles, he gets a look of fear just being near them.

Ava gets really hung up on our emotions and associates words with them. As a result she becomes really sensitive to seemingly harmless words. If one of us gets the hiccups she dances around all worried-like and will roll around on the ground or go hide under the bed. Now just saying the word 'hiccup' gets the same reaction. She also has reactions to 'ew' and 'ow' (wriggle wriggle lick face) and 'naughty' and 'trouble' (squint, grovel) and 'hungry' (OMG EXCITEMENT).

Once, many months ago, OH got home from work before me. She'd destroyed something while we'd been out so he was displeased with her (didn't yell, just changed his tone of voice). She went and hid under the bed. Now, EVERY SINGLE TIME he gets home from work before me she goes and hides under the bed until I get home :o

:rofl:

Edited by lovemyrottie

I also have a poodle who refuses to greet you at the door when we come home unless she has something in her mouth. We open the door and the other 2 dogs greet us, but she's racing around the house looking for a toy to hold. If there is no toy nearby anything will do... an 8kg poodle gretting you at the door with a steel capped boot in her mouth is in interesting look.

Does anyone know why some dogs do this? My dog seems to have that too, though to a lesser degree. He will always prefer to have something in his mouth when he first sees me after work or something. In his case, he will only pick up his own toys, and if he can't find anything within like 5-10 seconds he gives up and runs back to say hello with nothing. But the first thing he does when someone he really likes (it's really only me and my OH) arrives is look quickly around for a toy to hold.

I believe it is excitement displacement. I think dogs have different thresholds where they will need to do something to manage their internal state, and different things they will do as a result. The more excited they get the more they revert to instinctive behaviours. My dog that does this has always been mouthy. I guess that excitement for him tends to come out in mouthy behaviour. It's socially unacceptable to mouth people as a general rule, so he carries something around instead. What amuses me is that he walks while he does it, like Roova's bull mastiff. When Erik is excited he runs and jumps, but Kivi is much better at containing his excitement. He'll run where he has the room, but he's perfectly happy walking in circles. The more excited he is the longer he walks around holding something.

Lilly does the toy thing too. She is very mouthy/licky by nature and is also a typical greyhound 'collector'.

Patch raises his front leg when you stop patting him, just a gentle reminder in case you forgot what you were supposed to be doing :laugh: He also refuses to lay on the ground (tiles, floorboards, grass, concrete) - he has to lie on a mat, bed or something similar. Once at a Million Paws walk he lay on our friend's sons jacket (the dog is nearly 30 kgs and the child was about 6 so there was more of him on the grass than on the jacket).

Oscar runs down stairs using only 3 legs, his back left is always carried. He also has to be covered up to sleep 90% of the time, he will look for anything to burrow into.

Mine are just crazy I think!!!

Magnum (rottiXpit, oldest at 10) is just a big boofa, he will walk into you, push you where he wants to go. However if you tell him to get out of the way he will move, its so he gets to touch you. He also has to 'hold' you with a paw when you are patting him. While its cute, he has the biggest paws and claws and I end up with bruises. He is also a groaner, rub his ears and he will groan like an old man. He also 'hoovers', he just sucks food into his mouth without chewing half the time, you can hear him whistle as he does it.

Addy (pound rescue, 8 year old) is a hoarder. She will take thongs, clothes etc to wherever she is lying at that time and just lay with them, she doesnt chew them at all, just 'loves' them. She will also resource guard to the extreme, eg, a bag of dynamic lifter is hers and no dog is allowed within about 5 mts. She also has to be up high, and used to have a habit of getting on top of the car when it was parked in the yard. (OH learnt not to yell at her to get off, once she knew she had been spotted she would make he own way off. If you yelled at her she would scratch the paint trying to get off in a hurry)She also doesnt lick, but will push her way slowly into you so that you have to pay attention. If you have your legs crossed she will rub herself back and forth on your foot like a cat.

Piper (toy poodle, 7 year od) is a toy freak. She has to have a toy anywhere. She is also a walker (she will walk around on her back legs for about 15 mins at a time) she will follow us from room to room if we let her. I usually tell her to get down so she does hurt herself. She also is a paw dog, and will bat things she is playing with. She also taps you with her paw to get your attention. She also loves to pop balloons. Ball chaser, bring rocks for us to throw, talks to us, generally is just a bossy little boots.

Milo (1year) is a wuss!! He doesnt like loud noises, even clappping your hands will freak him out. Thunder and fireworks really stress him. He also has a habit of sitting up on our lap and then falling back so we catch him, he is going to get hurt one day as we wont be ready for him. He also doesnt bend!!!! When you pick him up he stays straight, whereas the others will all curl up. When he talks to us he sounds like a balloon sqeaking at us. He also wont get in under things, whereas the others will get in under a blanket he wont, he also doesnt like having a jacket etc on.

All of them are toilet accompaniers...........

I think the toilet accompanying thing is probably far more common than any of us think, but people don't tend to mention it in real life conversation. :laugh:

Ok - this is definetly an overshare BUT... I'll share anyway ;)

If we go into the toilet, or even if you leave the toilet door open a little bit, our dog will come to the door and peek his head around the door but NEVER comes in.

I said this to Mr iBoz one day, and he said that once when Boston was little, Mr iBoz was home alone so went to the toilet and left the door open... Boston came in for a peek and put his head through Mr iBoz's legs and got a little spray on the head! :eek: EWW!

And since that day, has never come into the toilet... Now that I know, I always think he looks slightly concerned whenever I go in 'that' room. hahah.

So, there you go, a potential cure for the toilet-accompanying dog. Not something I think you would do deliberately though... :laugh:

Ok - this is definetly an overshare BUT... I'll share anyway ;)

If we go into the toilet, or even if you leave the toilet door open a little bit, our dog will come to the door and peek his head around the door but NEVER comes in.

I said this to Mr iBoz one day, and he said that once when Boston was little, Mr iBoz was home alone so went to the toilet and left the door open... Boston came in for a peek and put his head through Mr iBoz's legs and got a little spray on the head! :eek: EWW!

And since that day, has never come into the toilet... Now that I know, I always think he looks slightly concerned whenever I go in 'that' room. hahah.

So, there you go, a potential cure for the toilet-accompanying dog. Not something I think you would do deliberately though... :laugh:

:rofl: Also works with the vacuum. My girl got her nose suctioned once and now she stays well clear.

Discovered this one last night. When left to their own devices, two of our four furkids were busted on doggiecam doing this:

Definitely quirky given that instead they could've done normal doggie things like chew on furniture, destroy a book or two or raided the bin.....

When our Cav was a pup and was going through his humping stage, he had his favourite toy that he liked to do it with, but before he could he had to take it for a walk round outside then come in and do his business... We called it taking his toy on a date before taking her home :D

Now when we let him out of the laundry... if we don't bring all his toys out he'll go to the gate and wait for us, pick up one bring it out and play for 30 seconds rinse and repeat until all of them are out.

Discovered this one last night. When left to their own devices, two of our four furkids were busted on doggiecam doing this:

Definitely quirky given that instead they could've done normal doggie things like chew on furniture, destroy a book or two or raided the bin.....

lmao, love it! so freaking cute :D

I've got two confirmed tissue rippers here.

And I also have one who thinks human toilet time is the best chance for a cuddle! However spray anything in the bathroom, and she'll come running from anywhere in the house to bark at it. Tell her 'off' (so she'll wait for her dinner) and she'll not only do 'off', but leave the room too!

I've got another one who is a definite something-in-the-mouth greeter, and he also will only chase *his* ball if *I* throw it. No other will do. He will run across the field, leap in the air, and spit the ball out mid flight if its not his. This is really funny, but not for the person whose ball it is, and therefore has to collect it.

Tissue / paper towel EATER here - New or used Empty toilet rolls taste good too, apparently ;)

Tarja doesn't seem to have any particularly strange quirks. If only you had asked about cats, I could keep going all day! I seem to end up with weird cats, and I have a gold grand champion weirdo at the moment :laugh:

When I was growing up my family fostered a cocker spaniel with the most peculiar bark ever. He didn't bark, he said YO! He also ate pegs (the soft plastic type with no spring) if he could get access to them, and on one notable occasion ate the greater part of a bag of birdseed. Fortunately it didn't seem to do him any harm, but the birdseed 'logs' he left around the yard made him very popular with the local bird population :eek:

I have in the past had a bathroom checker, who couldn't be stopped as the latch on the toilet didn't quite catch properly and the door was too far away to hold closed, so she could nose her way in just to make sure you hadn't fallen in. If only she could have learned to close the door behind her after checking...

I have a bathroom audience too.

The cat opens the door as soon as I go in there, it's a sliding door.

And Esky puts her face in the doog to watch :laugh:

Esky is also a 'bed shark'

At bed time she hangs around the bed, puts her chin on it and watches us.

Waits for an oportunity to jump on.

:laugh:

Doof farts audibly, then turns and gives his butt a filthy look for giving him away.

The last time he spewed on the carpet he ran and got his toy duck, put the duck next to the spew and sat there looking at the spew, then giving the duck a filthy look, then looking at me to make sure I was falling for it

He also eats copious amounts of snow if given the Opportunity

Kodiak occasionnaly has a bad dream and when you wake her up she'll come running over for a cuddle and will lie in your arms crying for about 10 minutes

Post breakfast she lies on her back with her legs in the air for an hour. Post dinner she does a weird little strut/stretch manouvre across the floor.

She is happiest when you sit with her and hold her poor

When I was at uni she would sit behind me when I study crying until I put another chair beside mine. Then she jumps up on it and spends hours listening to lectures with me

My new puppy likes to stand in the water bowl :eek: then dip her head in it and do zoomies around the house leaving a trail of water behind her. :laugh: She also likes to sleep on her back.

Claude (no longer here R.I.P.) was a bone collector. When the dogs had finished with their bones he'd go around and collect them all and then sit there with a huge pile of bones infront of him. His Son Whitey (also passed :( ) did the same thing.

Blacky likes to throw her food (treat) around and have a game with it before eating. Gypsy used to do it too.

Luki makes this weird licking his lips sound when you are eating, as if hinting 'hey I want some'. Never heard a dog make that noise before. :laugh:

Leela a border collie x husky rescue cocks her leg like a boy and sometimes does handstands when weeing/pooping. :laugh:

Zuess likes to sniff armpits. Always has. Strange. :laugh:

When Luki farts he turns around and looks at his bum as if to say "What the? - where did that come from? - it wasn't me" Gyps used to do the same thing. It was so funny.

Gyps (when still with us R.I.P.) used to hide treats/bones all over the place. She would spend hours finding the right spot, she'd hide it, then dig it out again, hide it again - only to go back 5 mins later and eat it. :laugh:

She'd also hide things in shoes/bags. Many a time I would go to put my foot in my shoe only to find a food treat shoved in it, or go to work and open my handbag to find a half eaten chicken neck in there. :laugh:

Luki likes to ride the eezy peezy slide. He is also very nosey and will stand on things to peek over the fence if there is any activity/talking in the neighbours yard. :laugh:

He stands there like a mountain goat with his ears pricked - being a sticky beak.

I often wonder what the neighbours think when they see him doing it. :laugh:

That's all I can think of atm. I am sure there are more though. :laugh:

I love this video. :laugh: