Clipping A Double Coated Breed

sheree e4, If you are doing the clip for tick prevention why leave the tail ???

I have found ticks on the tail before.

She is your dog but JMHO I have seen a few dogs where their coat has grown back mottled and uneven.

I sold a GSD a couple of years ago to QLD and the owner shaved him off (no 10 blade) I will never understand why she did that. When his coat grew back it looked dreadful, dirty red colour where it should have been black and all uneven.

For me they need their coat for insulation, use a tick collar as well as the Advantix or a daily spray with Permoxin.

I understand just where you are coming from I was paranoid also when I lived in a tick area.

My parents clipped our lab for the first time several years ago as she seemed to be affected by the heat, it was not for tick reasons. Looking at her now you cannot tell that she's been clipped before and her coat is the same colour. It's not a complete clip, she still has a decent amount of short hair after its done (and her tail is left normal). On the other hand, a workmate clipper her border collie in summer earlier this year and his coat just isn't the same and he won't be clipped again. Again it was for heat reasons.

Just letting you know what has happened in my experience, I don't know if I would personally ever clip a lab.

From what I have seen, the effect on the coat depends on the dog and you will only know once it has been done, just as some dogs go really fluffy after desexing and others of the same breed remain with the same coat as before.

The suggestion of a power dryer is good for separating the coat and being able to view the skin all over (and it will remove a lot of dust and dirt from the coat too!)

The suggestion of a power dryer is good for separating the coat and being able to view the skin all over (and it will remove a lot of dust and dirt from the coat too!)

What kind of power dryer? Is this specifically for groomers? I'm guessing my hair dryer won't cut it :)

If that's what the owner wants then I will clip the dog for them, personally I don't clip my Border Collies off, but if people are not prepared to look after the coats then I will certainly clip them off, more hygenic than a heap of mats and s**t clinging to the coat. :eek: I use a Oldfield dryer on the dogs.

Edited by Cala

Thanks for your advice. I have decided not to clip at this stage and just do advantix and permoxin spray and of course tick searches daily.

Her tummy and chest is already clipped up from her surgery and her skin has gone dry and a bit flaky there so I don't think clipping is a good idea.

sheree e4, If you are doing the clip for tick prevention why leave the tail ???

I have found ticks on the tail before.

The majority of ticks are found at the front of the dog.

Really I cant imagine you missing a tick if you are checking often enough thumbsup1.gif

It is frighteningly easy to miss them.

What kind of power dryer? Is this specifically for groomers? I'm guessing my hair dryer won't cut it :)

This is a link to some of the dryers- http://www.petnetwork.com.au/cgi-bin/shopping.pl?page=dryer1.htm

I know people on the forum have found cheaper (less powerful) ones which would be fine for using to see the skin :)

Sorry, Not wanting to hijack this thread but you may not have found many ticks on the tail BUT how bad would you feel if one was there and you missed it.

I do admit that most ticks are found on the face and chest BUT does that mean that you only have to clip the face and chest?????? Why not just stop when you find the tick?

Sorry but I worked as a vet nurse in a tick area for 13 years and I truly believe that my boss would have raised the roof if we left any hair on the feet, tail or face, just so the dog still looked nice.

I have seen a lot of ticks this year, and we find them in all sorts of places including the tummy, back legs and the tail. Yes, the majority of them are found on the front one-third of the body, but not all.

Edited by Miss B

Sorry, Not wanting to hijack this thread but you may not have found many ticks on the tail BUT how bad would you feel if one was there and you missed it.

I do admit that most ticks are found on the face and chest BUT does that mean that you only have to clip the face and chest?????? Why not just stop when you find the tick?

Sorry but I worked as a vet nurse in a tick area for 13 years and I truly believe that my boss would have raised the roof if we left any hair on the feet, tail or face, just so the dog still looked nice.

We clip the entire dog if a dog comes in with tick paralysis, However if an owner asks for the tail to be left when we clip the dog normally then thats what we do.(obviously its alot easier to just check the tail ..rather than the whole dog)

In the 5 yrs Ive been working as a vet nurse I have not found a tick on the tail, most ticks are found forward of the front legs however this is not always the case and some are found in the groin and between toes etc. (thats not to say it could never happen I have just not seen it)

Here is what would normally be classed as a tick clip for summer (obviously the ears would also be clipped) but tail usually left.

061.jpg

.(obviously its alot easier to just check the tail ..rather than the whole dog)

I

Exactly my point!!

When working as a nurse if people came in for a tick clip the entire dog usually got clipped off.

As a groomer in a tick area when dogs came in for a tick clip I would leave the tail on 90% of the time. We are paid to do a service so I simply do what the owner requests - pros and cons are always discussed first.

I would :cry: if Kivi had to be clipped. We have ticks around here and he wears a Preventic collar during the spring and summer months and we stay out of the bush. On our recent vet visit our vet asked us why he was wearing a tick collar and whether we had found any ticks on him. We never have, but the tick collars are reportedly very good and for $10 every 2 months it seems a good investment as a backup. When I took my corgi for bushwalks I used to brush her afterwards because I occasionally found an unattached tick. Kivi's coat is so thick even fleas have trouble finding his skin. I still check him even with the tick collar, but not as thoroughly as I would if we had ever actually seen a tick on ourselves or either dog.