Reconcile/prozac For Dog - How Lethal Is This Drug?

Mollyrulz

Hi

I know a few dogs that are currently using reconcile and the changes in them have been amazing. They have gone from unhappy stressy dogs that cannot concentrate on anything to relaxed happy pups. Dogs still need to be trained to accept the things that upsets them but they will be able to be more rational about everything instead of just flying off the handle.

I would definately give it at least 6 months as it takes quite a while to take affect you may not need to use it for the rest of her life and your vet will need to do regular assessments so just take it one step at a time.

I know these things are expensive but when you see your dog happy and relaxed it will be totally worth it.

Just one more thing have you tried a dap collar ? they can take a bit of the edge off on some dogs

Good Luck your little dog is very lucky to have you :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It IS mainly storm related and heavy rain - showers are ok.

My vet is also a Behaviourist vet and Molly is generally "hyper-active" and when she came to me, has been attacked by a Beagle and therefore very "anxious" when she sees another dog UNLESS they are dogs she has socilaised with - we walk with a few dogs and she is fine with them BUT any new dogs are not ok ....but haveing said that, she is fine at the dog park.

I did ask the Vet about a "knock-out" pill I could give her when a storm happens but she seems to think that as she is hurting herslef a lot, she shd be on Prozac!

I have got the drug BUT have not started it as I want others opinion on this ....don't want to "wean" her off so to sepak and I understand about her "quality of life" and it doesn't help we live in Brisbane and we are now going into our "storm season"..

I also live in Brisbane area with a terribly storm phobic dog.....after trying lots of things I now give him xanax prescribed by my vet.This is given on the day a storm is expected. It works if I get the timing right...the problem is they need it at least an hour before a storm comes so some days I get it right and others I don't but when I get it right it works for us. He is able to lay down in a safe spot and endure the storm quietly. Good luck with your dog, storm phobia is a real pain.

Hi Mollyrulz

If you are in Brisbane I notice that the RSPCA Superstore in Springwood has the Thundershirt at the moment. It is $60. They are getting good feedback from customers who have storm phobic dogs.

YES I am in Brisbane and live quite close to the RSPCA Superstore...will go there this weekend and see if I can get her one.

Thanks so much for everyone's support... I have started her last Friday on Reconcile and am monitoring her. At the moment, she is still a bit "hyper" but I think it will start to kick in after a week or two...will let everyone know how she is getting on :-)

Hi Mollyrulz

If you are in Brisbane I notice that the RSPCA Superstore in Springwood has the Thundershirt at the moment. It is $60. They are getting good feedback from customers who have storm phobic dogs.

I thoroughly recommend the thunder shirt. Not just for storms but for any occasion where a dog may be stressed. I read on another list I am on, that the thundershirt stopped a stud male from pacing & fretting about in season females! At $60 that is very reasonable & worth giving a go.

I am using Prozac on my SA dog and pay just $29.00 per script from the pharmacist. So the $60 seems huge for the same drug (I am in NSW) my vet just writes the script for me and I pay $12 if there is no consult. She puts 3 repeats on it and I get it along with my own medications?

Is the big price because you are buying from the Vet? Maybe the rules governing this are different in QLD? everything else seems to be?? :D

Guest lavendergirl

Hi Mollyrulz

YES I am in Brisbane and live quite close to the RSPCA Superstore...will go there this weekend and see if I can get her one.

Thanks so much for everyone's support... I have started her last Friday on Reconcile and am monitoring her. At the moment, she is still a bit "hyper" but I think it will start to kick in after a week or two...will let everyone know how she is getting on :-)

Maybe try and get there before the weekend as they did not have many left. :D

Hi Mollyrulz

Maybe try and get there before the weekend as they did not have many left. :D

I have tried to ring them and they have NO stock and I rang the stockist (Presitge Pet) and NO stock either.

I will have to try online and see if there are any I can get before anymore storms come !

I am using Prozac on my SA dog and pay just $29.00 per script from the pharmacist. So the $60 seems huge for the same drug (I am in NSW) my vet just writes the script for me and I pay $12 if there is no consult. She puts 3 repeats on it and I get it along with my own medications?

Is the big price because you are buying from the Vet? Maybe the rules governing this are different in QLD? everything else seems to be?? :D

Costs me $88 for 30 tablets at the Vet ...she says these are "doggie prozac" and cannot be obtained from pharmacy but through her.... I am confused.

Guest lavendergirl

I would not think that a pharmacist would fill a veterinary prescription?? The product at the vet is probably packaged specifically for dogs.

Mollyrulz if you can't get hold of a Thundershirt before the next storm try wrapping her firmly in a baby t-shirt or a towel/sheet or something similar and putting her in a sound proof area. The principal is application of firm (not tight) pressure on the torso and front chest area. Did the RSPCA say they were getting more stock - they had some left last weekend. With the storm season here the Thundershirt will be in high demand.

Reconcile is about 8mg per tablet whereas prozac is 20mg starting dose (up to 80mg/day). You can't split the human ones and you have a small dog which requires quite a specific dosage. You can't mess dosages with drugs like this as you can some others.

Dr Harry used to sell a desensitising CD, which you use gradually.

I have a storm phobic dog here, he will bark endlessly during storms which is not funny for me or the neighbours at 3am. My vet prescribes Xanax but because humans can take it, I'm only allowed to have a few tabs at a time, like 10 or something. Trouble is the recommended dosage has little effect on him. He used to be on the ACP but of course that makes them wonky for some time which isn't good.

I don't know why a dog would permanently have to be on any medication in case of a storm, for me it sounds too severe a reaction not to be managed separately.

I've heard mixed reviews on the calming jacket.

Reconcile is about 8mg per tablet whereas prozac is 20mg starting dose (up to 80mg/day). You can't split the human ones and you have a small dog which requires quite a specific dosage. You can't mess dosages with drugs like this as you can some others.

I understand re humans v dog/animal dosage and was intending to speak more to the vet rather than prescribed human prozac. You're right - she is only 5.5kgs so pretty small...

I would not think that a pharmacist would fill a veterinary prescription?? The product at the vet is probably packaged specifically for dogs.

Mollyrulz if you can't get hold of a Thundershirt before the next storm try wrapping her firmly in a baby t-shirt or a towel/sheet or something similar and putting her in a sound proof area. The principal is application of firm (not tight) pressure on the torso and front chest area. Did the RSPCA say they were getting more stock - they had some left last weekend. With the storm season here the Thundershirt will be in high demand.

RSPCA says some more coming in but don't know when. Storm supposed to come today or tomorrow and she has been on tablets since last Fri. Will monitor to see how much more reduced her sympthoms OR maybe too early for effects of drug to kick in. Although she seems a bit more "docile" yesterday...hmmm.

Dr Harry used to sell a desensitising CD, which you use gradually.

I have a storm phobic dog here, he will bark endlessly during storms which is not funny for me or the neighbours at 3am. My vet prescribes Xanax but because humans can take it, I'm only allowed to have a few tabs at a time, like 10 or something. Trouble is the recommended dosage has little effect on him. He used to be on the ACP but of course that makes them wonky for some time which isn't good.

I don't know why a dog would permanently have to be on any medication in case of a storm, for me it sounds too severe a reaction not to be managed separately.

I've heard mixed reviews on the calming jacket.

I have a sensitising CD too but b'cos there is NO change in atmospheric pressure, she does not respond to this... thanks for replying.

they can and do, as per my post - I have also had anti-inflammatories written by the vet and dispensed via my pharmacist many times. they just put (dog) on the sticker. Also told that I can break the human tablets however it sounds like the weenie size of the OPs dog may be the issue. I have XL sized dogs so dosage is not difficult.

Guest lavendergirl

they can and do, as per my post - I have also had anti-inflammatories written by the vet and dispensed via my pharmacist many times. they just put (dog) on the sticker. Also told that I can break the human tablets however it sounds like the weenie size of the OPs dog may be the issue. I have XL sized dogs so dosage is not difficult.

Thats interesting! I just thought that the medications would need to come from the vet. Must check with the chemist next time I am there and see if it is the same in Qld - unless someone else can enlighten me??

Pharmacists can dispense scripts from any legal prescriber - doctor, optometrist, vet etc.

They would only have in stock general medicines, not vetinary stock (usually).

Most vet sctipts are for medications that are not made in a dog specific form e.g. phenobarbitone, ranitidine liquid, ketoconazole, or for something they dont have in stock at the time.

Vets can write scripts for lots of medications where there are equivalents in human brands (some things there aren't) but generally dont because then they get the dispense fee and drug mark up themselves, which will be included in the cost of the medication.

as a note - xanax comes in a pack of 50 from memory, can't see any reason to restict the quantity dispensed to less than that.