Nsw Greyhound Green Collar Assessment

skyesblue

The NSW Greyhound racing board has now released details via a website about green collar assessments for greyhounds in NSW.

The new website is here with the standards that a dog must pass external link

What do people think?? Fees have yet to be set and it reads as though your dog needs to go into kennels to be assessed(can anyone clarify this)??

Edited by skyesblue

That’s also the case with Greyhound Racing Victoria. Greyhounds that have passed the GRV test also wear those green collars and all greyhounds that go through the Greyhound Adoption Program (GAP, which is affiliated with GRV- not sure if it’s called that in all other states) are green collared dogs. Only greyhounds tested by the GAP program are eligible to wear the green collar, and are exempt from wearing a muzzle in public.

In Victoria, the greyhounds must be sent to the GRV kennels for a week to be tested. Reference here. Which raises questions in my mind about animals being put in an unfamiliar environment and the effect that has on their performance and assessment outcomes. That’s another story though.

I have heard stories about the fallibility of the assessment approach, which I’m sure is similar to other temperament and behaviour testing more generally. I actually witnessed a person with a green collared greyhound purchase a muzzle from a rescue organisation volunteer, because they did not trust their dog around the other dogs at the particular public event we were at. Just an anecdote of course, but something to consider.

Edited by Alkhe

Glad to see it has passed. Patch has his collar from Qld so I will be able to organise an exemption for him but I will probably get Lilly assessed (unless it involves a week in kennels as I doubt greatly she would cope being separated from our other dogs and from us)

Up here in QLD the kennel thing applies to dogs actually on the program. Owners of dogs acquired from other places just bring the dog at a nominated time, leave it for a short time to be assessed, then come pick it up. I would assume the same would apply in NSW. :D

Edited by New Age Outlaw

Up here in QLD the kennel thing applies to dogs actually on the program. Owners of dogs acquired from other places just bring the dog at a nominated time, leave it for a short time to be assessed, then come pick it up. I would assume the same would apply in NSW. :D

Not in Vic, unfortunately - any dog can be assessed (ie they don't have to be in the program), but they do have to go to the GAP kennels for the week long assessment period.

I had my grey Ebony (RIP) assessed by GAP here in Adelaide, she was a rescue from NSW.

She went to stay with a foster carer for a week and then was taken by the carer for her assessment ( I watched, but hid until she had finished) which she passed and was then given her green collar.

I was very happy with those arrangements, she lived in the carers house and slept in their bedroom etc, so was not stressed.

I think it cost me about $80, and was well worth it.

Edited to add that the foster carer was also an assessor.

Edited by Trishm

if you read it NSW is going to be different to Vic

I did read it but got a little confused. :o

my reading of it was that you will pay a fee, get a book to give you guidelines on what you and your dog should be able to do, then you get assessed. This is if you already have a greyhound.

Makes me wonder how a greyhound who has less than perfect sight is considered to be more dangerous. That was so awful for that boy, he is a lovely dog and lucky to have such dedicated owners.

Edited by snippet

Makes me wonder how a greyhound who has less than perfect sight is considered to be more dangerous. That was so awful for that boy, he is a lovely dog and lucky to have such dedicated owners.

got nothing to do with how dangerous they are.

Vic government has relaxed the rules about selling a dog with ongoing medical issues, hopefully NSW will follow

I believe GAP Vic just recently rehomed a grey with green collar with pannus. I think they are changing the rules?

Not GAP but the government has altered the laws regarding selling of dogs with ongoing medical problems which means GAP, and other rescues, have more leeway.

Not in Vic, unfortunately - any dog can be assessed (ie they don't have to be in the program), but they do have to go to the GAP kennels for the week long assessment period.

Has that always been the case with GAP Vic? I don't recall that with Bart but it was a while ago that he was assessed.

Its fabulous that this change has now happened in NSW and I would imagine it will make greyhounds more appealing as pets.

Has that always been the case with GAP Vic? I don't recall that with Bart but it was a while ago that he was assessed.

Its fabulous that this change has now happened in NSW and I would imagine it will make greyhounds more appealing as pets.

it was changed a few years ago for legal reasons Trisven13

it was changed a few years ago for legal reasons Trisven13

That would explain it. I'll be honest, I actually think it is quite a good idea that they be tested over the period of a week.