Leaving Dogs Inside House When You Go Out

poochiemama

Guest lavendergirl

My dog stays inside, she's only let out into the yard with supervision as the neighbour's dog is quite nutty and will jump and bark and lunge at our fence and it drives my girl crazy. She does perfectly fine indoors, I am very lucky that she is not destructive at all. She has plenty of toys, things to chew, fresh water etc etc but she is never interested and is more happy to snooze away all day in her bed until we come home. She's never ever chewed anything or done anything she shouldn't have, so we rarely, if ever, come home to a guilty-looking dog and fluff. :D

Lavendergirl, deer antlers are great chews and they last ages. Emma also used to have Nylabones which she loves to bits. Frozen kongs with kibble / treats stuffed in them also make great long-lasting toys to keep your dog occupied for hours. (altho Emma is quite pathetic and gives up on her kong far too quickly!) Just some ideas. :)

Oh thanks - he is only a little guy so a deer antler may be a bit big :laugh: He won't chew on anything that is not food and is not interested in kongs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog's hold on until we get home. The area where we leave them is tiled so it wouldn't be too much of a problem if they had an accident anyway, that's why we close off the carpeted areas "just in case".

I have always left Perry inside and she has full run of the house. The only problem I had was the first week when she knocked some tea bags off a kitchen bench into her water bowl, tookk them out of the wet box and spread them on the carpet to dry, when they were not drying fast enough she chewed open the bags and scattered the tea leaves to let them dry faster, they still would not dry fast enough so she shredded a box of tissues and spread them across the tea leaves. I came home to the mess and a very worried dog who was convinced she would be beaten because that was what her previous owner had done. I just put my hands over my face because I did not know whether to laugh or cry and walked around saying - this is bad, very bad. Then we went for a couple of hours walk, when we came back she had dinner in the garden and I cleaned up the mess and I have never had a problem since.

My dog stays inside, she's only let out into the yard with supervision as the neighbour's dog is quite nutty and will jump and bark and lunge at our fence and it drives my girl crazy. She does perfectly fine indoors, I am very lucky that she is not destructive at all. She has plenty of toys, things to chew, fresh water etc etc but she is never interested and is more happy to snooze away all day in her bed until we come home. She's never ever chewed anything or done anything she shouldn't have, so we rarely, if ever, come home to a guilty-looking dog and fluff. :D

Lavendergirl, deer antlers are great chews and they last ages. Emma also used to have Nylabones which she loves to bits. Frozen kongs with kibble / treats stuffed in them also make great long-lasting toys to keep your dog occupied for hours. (altho Emma is quite pathetic and gives up on her kong far too quickly!) Just some ideas. :)

Oh thanks - he is only a little guy so a deer antler may be a bit big :laugh: He won't chew on anything that is not food and is not interested in kongs.

:rofl: It is not the whole set of antlers, just a smaller piece of antler and is fine for small dogs.

A large pigs ear for each dog is also a great chew that lasts for ages.

Look, dogs are often not safe left outside these days.... too many predators. Snakes, other dogs busting in and attacking your dog, and people who thieve puppies. :mad

Tiled or timber floors and a pile of newspapers in the same spot each time are used here; not all dogs can hold on and you might get delayed. Roll up the newspaper and chuck it in the bin, without saying a word. It is so easy and there is no cost and it almost always is the first thing a tiny puppy wees on in the whelping box, so weeing on newspaper is second nature to most dogs. Newspaper editors may cringe, but being a doggy toileting facility really is the most vital purpose of newspaper.

Music, radio or television MUST be on. Do you know how quiet and boring your house is when you are not there?

Some animals think they have been abandoned when it all goes quiet. Talk back radio provides all sorts of voices of different tones and makes life interesting for the home-alone animals and a lot of their stress related behaviour disappears.

Make sure your dog has been exercised BEFORE you leave. Sleep time usually follows exercise, so why not let this fall into the times you are away. :sleep:

If they want to play, then leave them some empty 300ml water bottles, without the lids on. These can still be recycled after they have been crunched and chewed by active dogs. The noise of empty water bottles on floors is something that a lot of dogs cannot resist. They can toss it, they can pounce on it, it rolls away from them and they chase it - and while they are so occupied with a couple of empty bottles, they are leaving your furniture in one piece. :) Endless fun for some dogs. The bottles might be a totally different shape by the time you get back, but who cares? That is no biggie.

Also, do not give your dogs the run of the house, confine them to one or two rooms.

Make a big fuss of them when you return - for looking after things while you have been away!

Souff

This sums up my dog's behaviour when left indoors. Perhaps I've just been lucky. :confused:

I always walk my dog early in the morning and leave him with chew toys etc. too. A kong stuffed with a firmly wedged piece of chicken jerky and a little peanut butter keeps him occupied for a short while. My dog mostly sleeps while we are out though and saves his energy for when we get home. :)

I leave Bondi inside for up to 8 hours- never had a problem. Just starting this with puppy (although some days he comes to work with me) - at the moment he is limited to large laundry and part of my bedroom and his open crate- so far so good. I come home from work at lunch to toilet the dogs if I am working 8+hours (with a puppy and an old girl I don't think it is fair to make them hold on- although Bondi will).

Mine stay inside as one is a barker,and the other was afraid of thunder and also the live firing they used to do at the range near our home. He would be a danger to himself if he was outside. The bathroom is the "safe room"....nothing to hurt himself on, and escapeproof. We have a small portable aircon for hot days.

My husband puts newspaper down for Dusty as he's the last to leave, and he let's her out for a wee before he goes. But she's never toileted in the house, she just holds on til we get home, then bolts out the front door as soon as it's open and squats on the lawn with a huge sigh of relief.

She's been inside for up to 10 hours without an accident. At night they all come in around 6pm and don't usually go out again til around 5am so they're all capable of hanging on for a long time.

I don't know eh, just because they can hold dosn't mean it's fair on the dog if they're absolutely busting when you get home?

Guest lavendergirl

:rofl:It is not the whole set of antlers, just a smaller piece of antler and is fine for small dogs.

A large pigs ear for each dog is also a great chew that lasts for ages.

Look, dogs are often not safe left outside these days.... too many predators. Snakes, other dogs busting in and attacking your dog, and people who thieve puppies. :mad

Tiled or timber floors and a pile of newspapers in the same spot each time are used here; not all dogs can hold on and you might get delayed. Roll up the newspaper and chuck it in the bin, without saying a word. It is so easy and there is no cost and it almost always is the first thing a tiny puppy wees on in the whelping box, so weeing on newspaper is second nature to most dogs. Newspaper editors may cringe, but being a doggy toileting facility really is the most vital purpose of newspaper.

Music, radio or television MUST be on. Do you know how quiet and boring your house is when you are not there?

Some animals think they have been abandoned when it all goes quiet. Talk back radio provides all sorts of voices of different tones and makes life interesting for the home-alone animals and a lot of their stress related behaviour disappears.

Make sure your dog has been exercised BEFORE you leave. Sleep time usually follows exercise, so why not let this fall into the times you are away. :sleep:

If they want to play, then leave them some empty 300ml water bottles, without the lids on. These can still be recycled after they have been crunched and chewed by active dogs. The noise of empty water bottles on floors is something that a lot of dogs cannot resist. They can toss it, they can pounce on it, it rolls away from them and they chase it - and while they are so occupied with a couple of empty bottles, they are leaving your furniture in one piece. :) Endless fun for some dogs. The bottles might be a totally different shape by the time you get back, but who cares? That is no biggie.

Also, do not give your dogs the run of the house, confine them to one or two rooms.

Make a big fuss of them when you return - for looking after things while you have been away!

Souff

Oh...I was picturing them being sold singularly :o Where can you buy them - I haven't seen any on sale anywhere?? I am worried that the pigs ears break up into sharp pieces - is that the case or do they have a "chewy" consistency?

hehehe Bubby does not set foot outside except for his two walks a day and one ratting session at night!

I always walk them for an hour and take them to the park if I am leaving them inside for longer periods. They have free reign of the entire house.

They are usually left with 3-4 entertainment contraptions I have made each.

I spread towels all over the kitchen in case anyone has an acident but we have had good luck in that regard so far!

The only thing I do when Bitty has free reign is to remove all cupcakes from nose height! She will be nosey and pick a cupcake up and carry it around! Other than that they just seem to rip up their entertainment contraptions, eat the treats inside and sleep!

Bubby came trained but with Bitty I used to let her roam inside but watch her like a hawk and made sure she never touched my stuff. I always had my stuff strewn everywhere but would supervise so that she knew just to jump over things and leave them alone! She was always very good! Only thing she will pick up that is not hers is a cupcake! :laugh:

Guest lavendergirl

hehehe Bubby does not set foot outside except for his two walks a day and one ratting session at night!

I always walk them for an hour and take them to the park if I am leaving them inside for longer periods. They have free reign of the entire house.

They are usually left with 3-4 entertainment contraptions I have made each.

I spread towels all over the kitchen in case anyone has an acident but we have had good luck in that regard so far!

The only thing I do when Bitty has free reign is to remove all cupcakes from nose height! She will be nosey and pick a cupcake up and carry it around! Other than that they just seem to rip up their entertainment contraptions, eat the treats inside and sleep!

Bubby came trained but with Bitty I used to let her roam inside but watch her like a hawk and made sure she never touched my stuff. I always had my stuff strewn everywhere but would supervise so that she knew just to jump over things and leave them alone! She was always very good! Only thing she will pick up that is not hers is a cupcake! :laugh:

What sort of contraptions do you create for the two Bs? I am always looking for new ideas for my boy who has SA. So far I have the plastic milk bottle with holes for treats, a treat ball, toilet roll folded at one end (with treats) and frozen blocks with treats in the middle! This all still only keeps him interested for about 30 minutes!

My contraptions dont last too long Lavendergirl but it does give them a bunch of things to play with!

I have egg cartons which I drop a treat in each egg space and then I tape it all up.

I put treats in old empty tissue boxes.

Those plastic boxes strawberries come in I smear with peanut butter.

I buy cheap plastic cups, put yoghurt in them to freeze and then smear the sides with honey (NOT an inside treat obviously).

Save up the tubes inside your cling wrap (I collect them from family and friends). Wedge a treat right in the middle, wedge paper tightly so whole tube is packed with paper.

Save up small boxes (eg toothpaste box), put a treat in that, fold down one end to make it shorter and smaller, put it in a bigger box and that into a bigger box and another bigger one.

Must admit this stuff creates a lot of mess but we just pick up all the paper and pop it into recycle when we get home.

I also HIGHLY recommend Beef Whizzers! They are hard enough to last a while but not so hard as antlers to make me worry they will break teeth.

All my pets have been indoors when we go out, even if we have to go out for the whole day (10 or more hours) to the city etc..

I've never thought about it really as I know no different.

I guess just normal toilet training, make sure they go before you go out, see them go..

I keep mine separate when out so they dont 'play' and also as I think it's good for them to be used to being alone.

we have hard floors, with rugs. I do put a bit of paper down, but mainly so that they don't have a major melt down if they do need to go. They never have. I also have a couple of girlfriends who have housekeys so that IF i get held up, or something happens (I'm neurotic!,, If they dont hear from me by a certain time, I say just go and see to the pets as I have a fear of having a car accident and no one realising the cats and dogs are starving in the house :laugh: )...

They will also let them out at lunch time if I ask..

I never leave anything to chew etc. Neurotic again.. too scared of choking, bowel obstructions (and I've seen some awful ones with things like cardboard, carrot etc. at work years ago), My spin also has a very wide mouth and things get stuck sideways on the roof of her mouth and she cannot get them out. There is nothing at all where she is left that can hurt her. THe viz never ever chews anything at all anyway.

I keep mine in for the same reasons as others, heaps of snakes here, some twit could open the gate, throw baits over, other dogs could get in somehow, there could be a nasty storm while I was out, they are very comfortable indoors, I can leave the airon or heating on if necc.. etc etc......

I dont make a fuss of mine when I get home..mine would get overexcited and I just say hi girls as though I've been gone 5 minutes. :laugh: so they know it's no big deal.

Edited by Monah

ours aren't very keen on the great outdoors; they'll try it out for a ten minutes or so, but are happy to be back in the safe inside...as we have tiles throughout, the dogs have access to all corners of our house...they have toys, treats and plenty of fresh water...and their baskets..so they are sorted!

Guest lavendergirl

My contraptions dont last too long Lavendergirl but it does give them a bunch of things to play with!

I have egg cartons which I drop a treat in each egg space and then I tape it all up.

I put treats in old empty tissue boxes.

Those plastic boxes strawberries come in I smear with peanut butter.

I buy cheap plastic cups, put yoghurt in them to freeze and then smear the sides with honey (NOT an inside treat obviously).

Save up the tubes inside your cling wrap (I collect them from family and friends). Wedge a treat right in the middle, wedge paper tightly so whole tube is packed with paper.

Save up small boxes (eg toothpaste box), put a treat in that, fold down one end to make it shorter and smaller, put it in a bigger box and that into a bigger box and another bigger one.

Must admit this stuff creates a lot of mess but we just pick up all the paper and pop it into recycle when we get home.

I also HIGHLY recommend Beef Whizzers! They are hard enough to last a while but not so hard as antlers to make me worry they will break teeth.

Great ideas - thanks. I worry about the teeth breaking off too! What are Beef Whizzers - can you get them at the supermarket?

My boy is inside confined to the family room with a doggy door for access outside. Our fences are all locked and secure so I don't worry too much about anyone coming into the yard.

Sniper is not left outside anymore because of snakes, only outside under supervision. If we leave him alone in the house he is left in the laundry although I have a huge crate on order and that will be his area when we are out so he can be under the airconditioner during summer.

He is only 1, so not very trustworthy to have the run of the house, he is used to being put in the laundry anyway and just sleeps. We do give him a special toy that he is only allowed at these times and sometimes give him a bone although the clean up is gross.

I left Esky inside with our old house last summer.

It was 'slightly' cooler in there and I had 3 fans going for her.

That house backed onto a big government owned reserve which didn't get slashed very often.

In the heat of summer I worried about snakes being in that yard, which had lots of hiding spots for nasty creatures.

Our new yard is very secure, no access from the front. I'm happy keeping her out there if I go out. There is lots of natural and artificial shade and she just curls up into a cold spot and sleeps. I'll be working from home soon this summer anyway so I figure she'll be inside with me staying cool.