Brown Stains On Feet

ncarter

my bitch has white feet. She has had these brown stains on her feet for about 6 months and they have slowly been getting more prominent and entrenched it seems. Im 90% sure its from licking her feet. She is not an excessive licker either. I was thinking it must be something in her saliva. My other dog licks himself even more but his feet are still white. Ive tried scrubbing her feet with whitening shampoo which didnt work. I started feeding her ACV and that didnt do much, if anything it stopped it getting worse. Someone was suggesting i try Maloseb, im not sure as she doesnt seems to have any skin condition. Any advice on what i could try?

Thanks

my bitch has white feet. She has had these brown stains on her feet for about 6 months and they have slowly been getting more prominent and entrenched it seems. Im 90% sure its from licking her feet. She is not an excessive licker either. I was thinking it must be something in her saliva. My other dog licks himself even more but his feet are still white. Ive tried scrubbing her feet with whitening shampoo which didnt work. I started feeding her ACV and that didnt do much, if anything it stopped it getting worse. Someone was suggesting i try Maloseb, im not sure as she doesnt seems to have any skin condition. Any advice on what i could try?

Thanks

Yes it's from licking. The saliva creates a nice moist enviroment which various bacteria and/or yeasts thrive in. Do a search on "home made tear stain removers" and try a few until you find the one that works on your girl.

Sard wonder soap is fantastic for removing stains on white fur. I use it every time I was my dogs' white feet and they come up very nicely.

Check thoroughly for any skin irritation or infection before you use it in case it somehow aggravates it.

When Asti has itchy feet I put her in the sink with about 1 inch of water and just rub the malaseb into each paw and then rinse off. I have also found calendular tea (from health food shops) is also a good "foot bath" as it dries the skin, but malaseb is better.

Sard wonder soap is fantastic for removing stains on white fur. I use it every time I was my dogs' white feet and they come up very nicely.

Check thoroughly for any skin irritation or infection before you use it in case it somehow aggravates it.

ah so do you use the bar soap version? how do you apply it?

if she's licking - there is a reason...

usually an irritation of some sort - stress/allergy/pain ....

removing the stain obviously doesn't stop the cause , so it seems time for some detective work ;)

You see i dont see her licking much at all, so im at pains to work why the stains are developing. Maybe its a reaction to an allergy to grass seeds or something. But you would think there would be some irritation on the rest of her body but there isnt. My other dog is on the same diet and everything and he licks himself about twice as much, and he never gets any discolouration of his white hair.

Edited by ncarter

Yep just get a bar of soap from the laundry aisle of the shopping centre. It is great for getting whites SUPER white for showing, photoshoots etc :)

I just wet the feet and then rub the soap on and scrub with your fingers.

Add granulated garlic to her food. The staining is from an irritation that is causing her to lick and the stains will not wash out with anything, they have to grow out.

A friend with a produce store put me onto the garlic. He sells it to prevent Queensland Itch in horses and discovered that it works on dogs with irritated feet. I used it successfully on one of my dogs many years ago. I don't know why or how it works but it does.

yeast --- it occurs naturally but sometimes there is an abundance of it on the dog's body; it is very itchy and so the dog licks and chews; it can become worse in warm and humid weather...

it is best to treat it and as dancinbcs said above, the colour will grow out once you make some changes to your dog's diet...

limit the carbos in its food and lessen the amount of sugar also --- yeast thrives in warm weather and sugars in the diet feed it...

use a medicated shampoo [several on the market that deal with inter alia anti-fungal] but take care also to keep your dog's feet clean of pollens and other toxins it will likely pick up during walks --- a foot bathas described here will likely benefit...

malaseb diluted in water is another method.

good luck and keep us informed :)

Add granulated garlic to her food. The staining is from an irritation that is causing her to lick and the stains will not wash out with anything, they have to grow out.

A friend with a produce store put me onto the garlic. He sells it to prevent Queensland Itch in horses and discovered that it works on dogs with irritated feet. I used it successfully on one of my dogs many years ago. I don't know why or how it works but it does.

how much granulated garlic per kilo of dog?

If it's redish-brown, then it's most liekly a dermatitis. It can be caused by licking, walking on wet surfaces and not drying out. It can be related to diet and allergy. I find that clippering the hair out from between the toes and pads works well, as does malaseb diluted 3mls per 100 water , shampoo'd on and then towel dried off. There's no need to rinse it.

how much granulated garlic per kilo of dog?

Trying to remember from a long time ago but I think I gave my 18kg dog about a rounded teaspoon a day, so a small dog wouldn't need much at all. It took a few weeks to start to work and I kept it up until the feet were close to white again.

My 10 year old girl westie is an obsessive foot licker - particularly at 3 am :rolleyes:. So this week I'm going to try soaking her feet in diluted apple cider vinegar... so you could try that too... suspect it will work to get rid of the itchy yeast between her toes... :)

My 10 year old girl westie is an obsessive foot licker - particularly at 3 am :rolleyes:. So this week I'm going to try soaking her feet in diluted apple cider vinegar... so you could try that too... suspect it will work to get rid of the itchy yeast between her toes... :)

The bacteria between the toes needs a product like Maleseb to get rid of it. I would also look at diet. Instead of soaking the feet in Apple Cider Vinegar, add the vinegar to her drinking water,as well as coconut milk, also crushed garlic to her food. Dont over do it though in doseage.

This time of the year with humidity and wetness is a bad time for yeast and fungal infections and it will continue for awhile.