Long Lasting Chews

Guest lavendergirl

Guest lavendergirl

I am looking for ideas for a long lasting chew I can give my little 5kg dog when left alone. He has separation anxiety and I like to leave him some interesting food challenges to occupy him while I am out. I don't feed bones or rawhide and don't want anything that is too hard on the teeth. Are pigs ears OK - they seem a bit sharp? He doesn't like Kongs either - gets too frustrated with them. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

pig ears are quite fatty so I wouldnt be feeding them all the time for a dog that small.

Kongs are meant to be frustrating. I would not be feeding him out of a bowl but just a kong so he has to work on it. Put some easy bits in there to keep him going to the more difficult stuff. Some people have success with pieces of deer antler to chew on, or try the Triple Crown Everlasting toys they're quite awesome :)

Guest lavendergirl

Thanks - yes I have a treat ball and milk cartons etc that he has to work to get his food out of. The Everlasting Treat looks interesting - might order one online as I haven't seen them in the shops.

We have a giant bone from the butcher, I think it's a leg bone or something, and Hugo's licked it all clean and it's migrated from outside in the yard to inside the house, and he chews on it when he gets bored. It's lasted for like six months and barely a dent in it, and seemingly licked and gnawed clean of any residue meat or marrow, but he still seems to find it entertaining and gives it a good go every now and again. I was going to get a deer antler for him but he seems quite satisfied with the giant bone, so why bother :laugh:

Guest lavendergirl

Does anyone know where I can get these "Whizzers" - I can only find them online for sale in large bags. I want to try one before I buy large quantities. I am sick of buying bags of treats etc only to find he won't eat them - then they are wasted because the shelters don't want anything thats been opened ( understandably).

Guest lavendergirl

Are you anywhere near Cooper's Plains in Brisbane? Nutrilious (sp!) treats there has them and would probably sell you one - I've never asked but they have lots of samples

Thanks - I could travel over and have a look at what they stock.

Thanks - yes I have a treat ball and milk cartons etc that he has to work to get his food out of. The Everlasting Treat looks interesting - might order one online as I haven't seen them in the shops.

cleanrun.com have the everlasting treat bento balls on free post right now - $12 each ;)

You could try roo or beef tendons, dried bones or antlers. Most pet food stores sell these, if you wantd antlers there is a thread in the marketplace. I've seen packets of dried beef tendons in IGA recently too.

Tug-a-jugs are good also, or even just treats shoved in a plastic bottle or toilet roll with the ends sealed up.

rawhide chews, x large wizzers last here around 20-30mins (labrador).

Should last a smaller dog hours!!!

Pigs ears last only 5 miins (if lucky :laugh:) but I have seen more delicate eaters take up to half an hour to finish them.

Tried deer antlers but strangely the dog (who is normally extremely greedy) didn't like them :confused:

Does anyone know where I can get these "Whizzers" - I can only find them online for sale in large bags. I want to try one before I buy large quantities. I am sick of buying bags of treats etc only to find he won't eat them - then they are wasted because the shelters don't want anything thats been opened ( understandably).

A big whizzer should last a 5KG dog for hours, I dont think you would be dissapointed, my two Staffy's love them.

Maybe just need to change your search terms in Google, try "bull chew" or "bull stick".

My Staffy's know them as a "Pee Pee", but I wouldnt search on that.

Guest lavendergirl

A big whizzer should last a 5KG dog for hours, I dont think you would be dissapointed, my two Staffy's love them.

Maybe just need to change your search terms in Google, try "bull chew" or "bull stick".

:rofl: Now I am wondering what is in them!

:rofl: Now I am wondering what is in them!

Just good old 100% bulls penis :D We waste nothing these days

rawhide chews, x large wizzers last here around 20-30mins (labrador).

Should last a smaller dog hours!!!

Pigs ears last only 5 miins (if lucky :laugh:) but I have seen more delicate eaters take up to half an hour to finish them.

Tried deer antlers but strangely the dog (who is normally extremely greedy) didn't like them :confused:

I think its about three crunches then a swallow here :laugh: