Could A Whippet Live Happily In A Unit....?

pesh

Morning All

Just been asked this, and don't know a lot about whippets so thought I'd turn to Dol'ers.

So could a whippet live happily in a unit?

It would be walked daily.

Plus would be down the beach daily.

Thx

Sharon

ps....needed to add: Is there a breed you would recommend for a working person who lives in a unit.

Edited by pesh

My worry is it's a three month old.

Not sure if someone will be home 24 hours a day, as I know this fellow works.

No yard, but I might suggest puppy school for that. The type they stay there for the day.

Thx for the reply pers.....

Edited by pesh

I would have thought whippets a good breed for apartment living?

The whippets I know are very low maintenance, quiet, clean and generally sensible and well behaved.

Like all dogs they need to get out at leats once a day, preferably twice and WHippets especially love to run! They can be trained to fetch a ball and all the ones I've met have been good with recall (comapred to some other sighthound breeds which are known for being a bit harder to train to come back!).

The only thing I;d be worried abvout is toilet training but only because I;ve had no experience with not having a yard. Other dolers have had success in using a "doggy loo" or similar though, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Also all the whippets I have seen at the vets and in boarding have been very clean.

I would think a whippet in a unit would be better as a pair of whippets in a unit, if left alone for long periods. Many whippets don't do solitary well. ;) Otherwise whippets are lovely apartment pets. Most sighthounds are more suited to apartment lfe than many breeds, even the big ones.

A small grey may be more settled as an only dog in any setting that is alone for longer periods.

Yes they can however young Whippets are active and good chewers so the puppy would need a lot of stimulation.

If pup is going to be left all day then I would think no. But if it had a person home a lot of the time or a canine buddy then yes.

A dog in an apartment I think should have two good walks a day (once older) with some free running. Small training sessions with a puppy dotted throughout the day can be good at keeping minds occupied as well.

As adults they are calm, sleep lots and are settled. The have no smell and shed very little. SO yes an adult could do it quite happily as long as they had two decent outings a day

I don't know the first thing about whippets but I do live in a 2 bedroom unit with 2 very active dogs - a kelpie x shepherd and a toller (and a husband, newborn baby, cat and reptiles :D ) and have no issues at all. I believe dogs require the same amount of love, care and attention regardless of the size of their living space. a committed owner should be able to make the dogs life a fulfilled and happy one no matter where they live - its very common in other countries for all sorts of breeds to live in units.

Puppies are puppies so they certainly get up to mischief. If the owner is out all day then crate training is important or having a baby-gated section of the apartment.

Has the owner considered an older dog? I have a fostered small Grey at the moment that would fit the owners requirements perfectly - older dogs are less demanding and intense.

Although they like to sleep Whippets and Greys also love to exercise and would happily go for walks multiple times per day.

A Whippet would do perfectly fine in an apartment just as almost any breed would with the right owner.

It is not where the dog lives it is who the dog lives with that is the important factor.

Bored,neglected, destructive dogs can be found in any sized dwelling or yard size.

I tried living in a unit with an Italian Greyhound I adopted, it was a disaster. I walked him 3 times a day but toiletting and separation anxiety became such major issues that I ended up either having to put him to sleep (rescue group wouldn't take him back, he was an abuse case so not easy to rehome) or buying a villa so I did that.

He was much better when we moved and then I got him a friend.

If I was ever to live in a unit I know much more about dogs now. I would go to a rescue group and talk to foster carers about whether or not their dogs were suitable, there are dogs that would be OK for a unit.

I rescue IGs and whippets now and neither copes well being alone. I get calls from people with both types of dogs and they have to have a second dog or they start having issues with their dog - normally their 2nd dog has passed away and although they might not be ready for another dog yet, they can't cope with their dog's behaviours when left alone. The behaviours include being destructive, trying to escape, toiletting inside and barking. None of them good for a unit unfortunately.

I'd recommend an older dog rather than a puppy with established behaviours. I have had many dogs over the last few years, both fostered and adopted and a number of them would have been fine for a unit, mainly the terrier types because they are super intelligent and make their own fun.

My whippets would live quite happily in a unit if they had plenty of walks etc, but they would not cope with being alone all day, they need company.

Most greyhounds would cope very well being alone during the day, I know my girl would have been OK as long as she got plenty of attention at other times.