Dominance In The Dog Park

AlanMatic

Big, small, giant or medium. Male or female. My Lab has a "go" at everyone. Yesterday he tried to sideways-hump an absolutely massive shepherd, it was comical - but terrible manners - and I'm a bit concerned as to why he feels this need to dominate every dog he meets.

Understandably, the other dogs to meet his acquaintance tend to feel a little miffed by it.

Other than that, his manners are fine, loves to play, never aggressive, just... tries to hump everyone.

Normal behaviour or not? Will he grow out of it? Should I actively try to train him out of it?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not be dominance, perhaps he is just really excited? Humping can be a displacement behaviour, it doesn't always mean dominance. It is not normal behaviour though and he should be stopped from doing it as it could result in him getting attacked.

Simply saying "no" and putting him back on lead may be enough to stop the behaviour but if that doesn't work perhaps consulting a trainer or behaviourist may be useful. He should really listen to you so I would be concerned if you were telling him no and he continued to do it...

Edited by aussielover

We were having similar issues with my youngest Lab puppy Louis, humping our older Lab boy Jangels.

We tried all sorts of discipline. It was driving us but more importantly, Jangels, crazy.

So as much as I wanted to keep Louis entire for development reasons, we gave in & had him desexed 2 weeks ago.

Instant fix. Hasn't tried once that we are aware of :) It was just to hard with 2 males. It was the right decision.

But having said that, there is a 7 yr desexed male GR who comes to our local park & the minute he arrives he starts humping the first dog he can get to.

Just my experience with the humping thing ! :D

The only scrap (not really big enough to call a fight) I've seen at my dog park was from a dog objecting to being humped. The humper had been desexed for some years too.

I don't really have any advice, (except maybe distract then reward an alternative behaviour?), but I'd recommend trying to curb it ASAP before he humps a dog that really objects to it!

My desexed male sometimes tries to hump other dogs, but he gets told off and stops as soon as I moan at him IMO desexing did not help at all. If it was me I would get him off the other dog, find somewhere to tie him up at the park and totally ignore him for at least 5 minutes. Buts thats just me..

I break up the attempted humping as soon as I can see it coming: i.e. call him off, which typically does not work (bad recall when excited, yep, training fail on my behalf), so grab by collar to separate. I never just allow the hump to happen - no way! That could get real ugly.

Yep, maybe cut his nuts off? I've been waiting for him to reach maturity prior considering it - but the time could be soon, he's 17 months now.

17 months + Labrador = 35kg of excitable pup.

I guess I'm reading my own answers really - more recall training.

My desexed male sometimes tries to hump other dogs, but he gets told off and stops as soon as I moan at him IMO desexing did not help at all. If it was me I would get him off the other dog, find somewhere to tie him up at the park and totally ignore him for at least 5 minutes. Buts thats just me..

Does the tie-up & ignore tactic help to calm the dog down? Haven't tried this, maybe I should.

I break up the attempted humping as soon as I can see it coming: i.e. call him off, which typically does not work (bad recall when excited, yep, training fail on my behalf), so grab by collar to separate. I never just allow the hump to happen - no way! That could get real ugly.

Yep, maybe cut his nuts off? I've been waiting for him to reach maturity prior considering it - but the time could be soon, he's 17 months now.

:D Pretty much

and 17 months old is not a pup, it's a bad mannered dog who is going to end up in big trouble. No way I would be letting him off lead around other peoples dogs while he is so lacking in training. And it's not just other dogs he has to worry about, if he did that to my dog he would get a swift kick from me and your ears would burn for weeks.

I honestly don't think that being entire has much to do with it.

And anyway if it did, it wouldn't stop it now, its too late, he's learnt that behaviour.

However being entire other dogs may be less tolerant of him in the first place, let alone if he's humping them!

in my mind you need to do a couple of things.

1. improve recall, and watch him like a hawk so you can call him off before the humping starts.

2. think of a consequence to his humping behaviour and carry it out every time he humps.

Also you could maybe consider putting a harness on him that can be easier for you to grab hold of than a collar.

IMO you are putting this dog in a situation it can't handle and as a result are putting him in serious danger. It is only going to take him trying to hump one dog that takes serious exception to it and you may find yourself with a nasty vet bill (or two) on your hands.

You need to stop putting the dog in this situation or manage his behaviour more closely so that he doesn't get the opportunity to monster other dogs.

A dog like yours (just wanting to play, but being very rough about it - no aggression) hurt my young border collie serveral years ago and it took me a good 2 years to undo the mental damage that one incident did. Please don't let your bad mannered dog ruin it for other dog owners.

Geesh Rebanne - I'm glad walkers like you are in the minority. Most people have a shade more understanding in their character. And read up on Labs - 17 months IS a pup.

Thanks to those who have provided helpful, constructive input.

This forum is obviously the wrong place to ask for support from those with experience - you're much more likely to end up with judgement and a condescending lecture.

Edited by AlanMatic

Geesh Rebanne - I'm glad walkers like you are in the minority. Most people have a shade more understanding in their character. And read up on Labs - 17 months IS a pup.

Thanks to those who have provided helpful, constructive input.

This forum is obviously the wrong place to ask for support from those with experience - you're much more likely to end up with judgement and a condescending lecture.

walkers like me are not in the minority, threads have been done before about how far you would go to protect your dog, nearly all who responded said they would kick or hit another dog. As for a 17 month old lab being called a pup, that's just an excuse. I reckon the sniffer dogs, guide dogs, assistance dogs etc would mostly be doing a full days work by then.

I think they were referring to him being a pup in terms of growth?

But he should have conmpleted growth at this age or be very near to physical maturity anyway, so 17 months for desexing is fine.

Guide dogs are generally in full training or working by 18 months and assistance dogs even earlier, so I think in regard to behaviour- 17 months is certainly not still a puppy.

I wouldnt be tying up a dog in a dog park. If an off leash dog approaches your tethered dog you could be in for one hell of a fight as a tethered dog is essentially in the same position as a cornered dog, with no option for escape.

Obviously not right near other dogs i find a quiet spot